Update on little tortellini!

hdeaver1

In February 2014 I bought Tortellini from a pet store. I have always loved tortoises, but had never known the complexity of them. I had always just loved the idea of having a tortoise around! Over the last 14 months I have learned so much more about tortoises...or at least about leopard tortoises! When we first got him was smaller than a credit card! I will post that picture for comparison.

He was very shy when he came to us, but now he has come out of his shell (haha) and will even come up to my children to say hello. I only allow them to play with him when I am directly there to make sure they are both safe. They like to pile food in front of him and laugh as he steps right over it!

Originally, Tortellini, was in a closed enclosure inside my home, but it was to small, and last summer we moved to Vegas and made him his own outdoor enclosure. Right now he eats a mixture of lettuce from the store, various plants and grasses from his outdoor enclosure (a few approved flowers from this site, aloe, and pear cactus), and every once in awhile I bring out Mazurie (spelling), and try to put a little calcium powder on it. Every few months I do give him a little fruit, but it is a small amount and very sparingly. He enjoys his soaks, but really loves to stick his head out under running water! Please tell me your thoughts on his shell growth and overall health...after one year of doing this I feel like I have learned a lot, but I know I have so much more to learn!

These pictures were just from today while the girls and I played outside with him in the grass. This is not his enclosure.

photo 2(2).JPG 2015 tortellini.JPG april 2015 tort.jpg april 2015 tortillini.jpg gem and tort 2015.JPG gemma and tort 2015.jpg tort 2015.jpg tort and vi 2015.jpg tort and violet 2015.jpg tort eatin 2015.jpg tort photo april 2015.jpg tort playin 2015.jpg tortellini 15.jpg tortellini april 2015.jpg torts 2015.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I think you are doing a great job of caring for him/ her. It's a beautiful tortoise . One you should be very proudly showing off every chance you get.

hdeaver1

Thank-you very much! Is his shell growth normal, or is that early sign of pyramiding? I just want to make sure!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
Thank-you very much! Is his shell growth normal, or is that early sign of pyramiding? I just want to make sure!
Looks very normal to me, I hope my Leo goes to that white look.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Great great great great great great looking tortoise!

If you have some time, please share detailed info on how you've cared for him until now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This has got to be one of the prettiest leopard tortoises I've seen in a while. I love the light color. And you're doing great with the smoothness of the carapace.

It's good that you've acclimated him to kids and handling. My leopards are so people shy that I never see their faces or legs. As soon as they see me the scrunch all up inside their shells.

Keep up the good work!

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Your tortoise is very beautiful. I love the light colored shell.

hdeaver1

Great great great great great great looking tortoise!

If you have some time, please share detailed info on how you've cared for him until now.

I am willing to write what I can to help others out. I don't consider myself an expert at all, but if anyone wants to tell me what questions you need to know in detail about his care I am more than happy to give it out!!