Help!! I think coco is sick! ???

Crystallynda

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas
Let me know if I need better pictures!

I can probably get one tomorrow after work!

Attachments

• 7B92715D-560F-4E1B-832B-356CDDED45BA.jpeg
    7B92715D-560F-4E1B-832B-356CDDED45BA.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 37
  • CD17465B-50D7-4046-AF8B-362D6403044A.jpeg
    CD17465B-50D7-4046-AF8B-362D6403044A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 36

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Since I got my little guy a heat lamp...he’s definitely been sleeping more outside his hide at night! He’s temps are in the 90’s!

Definitely higher warmth has helped tremendously with his nose and eyes!! ??? mamma tort is definitely not overly stressed anymore!! ??

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I use the FridgeSmart containers from Tupperware. They’re expensive (in Canada anyhow) but they’ve been well worth the investment. I can make most greens last a minimum of 2 weeks in these containers. I’ve got some greens right now that are 3 weeks old, and they are still as fresh as the day I got them. I’ve saved a lot of money and have a lot less waste. The link below is to the Canadian Tupperware, but I’m sure they’re probably available in the US too.

Wow! They are expensive! How are they different that they work so well? Do you just put the greens in with no prep?

I've been using the plastic containers from the grocery store, like the ones spring mix come in. I put a layer of paper towel, then a layer of greens, then paper towel, ...I make a multi-layered pile and then cover, with holes in the plastic lid. I can usually get 8-10 days, depending on what plant it is. Mustard always goes bad fast. Endive does good.

If stuff really lasts for 2 weeks, it would be worth the price.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Wow! They are expensive! How are they different that they work so well? Do you just put the greens in with no prep?

I've been using the plastic containers from the grocery store, like the ones spring mix come in. I put a layer of paper towel, then a layer of greens, then paper towel, ...I make a multi-layered pile and then cover, with holes in the plastic lid. I can usually get 8-10 days, depending on what plant it is. Mustard always goes bad fast. Endive does good.

Freshness in the fridge is all about airflow and moisture. Surprisingly, greens and such keep much better when they are kept cold and dry. Most fruit and veg does in fact. The tupperwares just have a vent on the lid that allows you to control the airflow. In the UK we can get "freshbags" that do the same thing basically, they are highly porous plastic bags that allow a lot of air flow through them. It is amazing how effective they are.

What I do with store bought salad is open all the bags and stand them upright when they go in the crisper drawer. It makes it easy to pick out his food each day but it also keeps everything dry and fresh a lot longer.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan

The containers have a vent on the lid that can be adjusted to 3 different settings. The front of the container has a chart that shows what setting it should be on depending on what type of fruit or vegetables you have in the container. I don’t do any prep. Literally from the store or the ground and into the containers. I have found if I wash things thoroughly and cut them up, they don’t last quite as long. So I leave everything whole and clean what I need, at the time I need it. These containers have made a huge difference. Being where I am in Canada I have to rely a lot on store bought food, so having the containers makes it easier for me to offer variety by buying a lot of different things, because I can make it all last so long. I’ve tried the fresh bags, green bags, the little “puck“ you put in your crisper to help keep things fresh and every other thing possible. Nothing compares to these containers.

Crystallynda

Las Vegas

I’m gonna consider getting them at one point! Ima find them cheaper somehow!!

Also I noticed coco not much of a fan of mustard greens so I got him something else!! ??

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Question, if you guys ever leave for a trip let’s say 3-4 days...you guys have someone come check on your tortoise correct??

I would hate to take him knowing they don’t do so great on the road!!??

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Also his eyes are finally down...just a little white and some dryness! Just finished soaking the baby and put on his antibiotics!

I think his nose supposed to be less puffy and maybe see his nostrils correct??

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
K so that’s the next step! His nose is still a little red and puffy!

Just not as before! There’s days it’s a little brown like the color of his head!!

Farcryjj

5 Year Member
The containers have a vent on the lid that can be adjusted to 3 different settings. The front of the container has a chart that shows what setting it should be on depending on what type of fruit or vegetables you have in the container. I don’t do any prep. Literally from the store or the ground and into the containers. I have found if I wash things thoroughly and cut them up, they don’t last quite as long. So I leave everything whole and clean what I need, at the time I need it. These containers have made a huge difference. Being where I am in Canada I have to rely a lot on store bought food, so having the containers makes it easier for me to offer variety by buying a lot of different things, because I can make it all last so long. I’ve tried the fresh bags, green bags, the little “puck“ you put in your crisper to help keep things fresh and every other thing possible. Nothing compares to these containers.
I'm in Canada too, but I decided to invest in a Vitamix. ? Now I make green smoothies everyday and try to make the whole family be as healthy as my RT.

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Lol lol that’s an excellent idea! I want a vitamix so bad...hopefully I’ll get one this year!! ????

I’ll probably be making smoothies too eventually!! ??

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
I need to create a gallery of coco ???

I was reading on how tortoises don’t necessarily have feelings but they know if their owners love him! He’ll react differently like walking towards you when you get home or want to get petted on their heads or shell!

Does this really happen with you guys torts? Cause I have noticed coco wanting his antibiotics a couple times at one point haha!! He has also walked on my hand on his own like “hold me please?” ??

Coco also loves it when I feed him from my hand from time to time! He is a fisty eater lol ??

Attachments

• D47E583A-A61D-415D-AE69-DFE5EB9E16D9.jpeg
    D47E583A-A61D-415D-AE69-DFE5EB9E16D9.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
  • CBF2F0D9-4AB6-47D1-8153-8D186F947760.jpeg
    CBF2F0D9-4AB6-47D1-8153-8D186F947760.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 19
  • 00667C73-2067-4C4B-BE06-909DCF2642C6.jpeg
    00667C73-2067-4C4B-BE06-909DCF2642C6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18

harrythetortoise

Virginia
I need to create a gallery of coco ???

I was reading on how tortoises don’t necessarily have feelings but they know if their owners love him! He’ll react differently like walking towards you when you get home or want to get petted on their heads or shell!

Does this really happen with you guys torts? Cause I have noticed coco wanting his antibiotics a couple times at one point haha!! He has also walked on my hand on his own like “hold me please?” ??

Coco also loves it when I feed him from my hand from time to time! He is a fisty eater lol ??
With mine, I think it’s just one-sided love but I try not to let that dampen my spirits!?:tort:

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Freshness in the fridge is all about airflow and moisture. Surprisingly, greens and such keep much better when they are kept cold and dry. Most fruit and veg does in fact. The tupperwares just have a vent on the lid that allows you to control the airflow. In the UK we can get "freshbags" that do the same thing basically, they are highly porous plastic bags that allow a lot of air flow through them. It is amazing how effective they are.

What I do with store bought salad is open all the bags and stand them upright when they go in the crisper drawer. It makes it easy to pick out his food each day but it also keeps everything dry and fresh a lot longer.
Wait are you talking about these greenish bags that seem to be made out of different material??

Cause I’m thinking on doing some layers of food for coco! That way I just crab rinse and go! ??

Crystallynda

Las Vegas
Man..I need to invest in the containers! But I just pray I can find them cheaper ??