Update on bumps on baby Sulcata!!!

Lisachacon3

Location (City and/or State)
California
So I took my baby to vet today he had two bumps in his sick one on neck and other by jaw are vet said it was an abscess bacteria she was able to pop one the other one isn’t ready to be popped pus came out she gave antibiotic shot and cream for home twice a day I am also doing a stool sample to see if they can find anything out! Attached the before and after thanks!

61657E9C-2672-40F3-8AF4-74548E6D5B35.png100C5685-9032-421B-867C-C43D4AB56D90.png

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
So I took my baby to vet today he had two bumps in his sick one on neck and other by jaw are vet said it was an abscess bacteria she was able to pop one the other one isn’t ready to be popped pus came out she gave antibiotic shot and cream for home twice a day I am also doing a stool sample to see if they can find anything out! Attached the before and after thanks!

View attachment 303025View attachment 303026
Thanks for keeping all of us updated! I hope everything goes smoothly for your little one. :)

@Tom @mastershake

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
sorry you are seeing these spots. not sure why this is becoming more wide spread as of late. it seems to have originated from cali though. every person i have seen or spoke to who had to deal with this had babies that came in from cali. i think i saw one from jakarta overseas. if these are what i have seen here a few times i recc not to pop them as it can spread. what the vet should do is take a sample and send it out for labs to see what specifically it is. many vets refer to this as blister disease. its caused by bacteria. in our case it was one that required anti biotics. a month on fortaz injectable and silver sulfadiazine on the local spots cleared it up for good as it would come back in another spot. but to know what specific ab is needed they need to get a culture of the spots. if the wrong ab is used it may not affect the spots. if you have any others keep them separated, if this is what many people have for some reason been having lately it is contagious. the spots will dry up and fall off on their own after some time if treated properly it will permanently go away. also be sure to check up inside the legs and around the tail if they are the same thing they can get them in those places also.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
sorry you are seeing these spots. not sure why this is becoming more wide spread as of late. it seems to have originated from cali though. every person i have seen or spoke to who had to deal with this had babies that came in from cali. i think i saw one from jakarta overseas. if these are what i have seen here a few times i recc not to pop them as it can spread. what the vet should do is take a sample and send it out for labs to see what specifically it is. many vets refer to this as blister disease. its caused by bacteria. in our case it was one that required anti biotics. a month on fortaz injectable and silver sulfadiazine on the local spots cleared it up for good as it would come back in another spot. but to know what specific ab is needed they need to get a culture of the spots. if the wrong ab is used it may not affect the spots. if you have any others keep them separated, if this is what many people have for some reason been having lately it is contagious. the spots will dry up and fall off on their own after some time if treated properly it will permanently go away. also be sure to check up inside the legs and around the tail if they are the same thing they can get them in those places also.
Thank you for following up on this. Do you have any idea if the University of Florida's veterinary school is aware of this? Elliot Jacobson, now retired, was the turtle and tortoise guru. I'm not sure who replaced him. (I've been out of the loop for a while. :) )

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
well we tested a couple more that again came to someone from cali with these same bumps they turned out to be the same type of bacteria. our herpetologist and a local zoologist we know is now making calls to some people over there to see if they can figure this out.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
he may look for an animal with this condition near him to run tests on. if they need an animal i will put up a post here to see if anyone is local who has the bumps. it will be free for the testing. he would like one of the infectious disease people there to look at them. they are on the west coast someone may have one i spoke with already but they may want to get a few varied samples. if i hear any more on this i will update the forum. there are way to many cases of this going around now and someone needs to try to isolate this imo.