Update!... And concerns..

Status
Not open for further replies.

kensie

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1375976678.909235.jpg
So squirtle is roughly 9.5 inches. Unfortunately my scale broke (thanks to my brother). But I am going to my grandparents for dinner so im hoping to her his weight there.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1375976801.895332.jpg
And blair really hates staying still so this is the best pic I could get of him but it looks like hes about 3 inches give or take a few centimeters. Again im going to weigh him tonight hopefully.

Now for my concerns the underside of Blair has gotten "squishy" the rest of his shell looks fine to me. It wasnt squishy a week ago but I just changed his substrate so could that be it? Or is this normal for a baby?ImageUploadedByTortForum1375977070.420227.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1375977117.284173.jpg

Love my sullys ( Blair- almost a year and squirtle- about five )

Also are they growing all right forbthier age?

For their*** not forbthier

Last edited by a moderator:

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif
They are very cute. I am not sure what you mean by squishy.... what is their substrate? Do they stay in the same enclosure?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The pic of the littler one, he looks very dry. They usually do not go squishy after being hard. They do have a little give, but not squishy. What are your temps, and humidity? How often are you soaking? Please read Toms threads below in my post for raising a sulcata in a hot and humid environment.

kensie

5 Year Member
RuthJanice said:
They are very cute. I am not sure what you mean by squishy.... what is their substrate? Do they stay in the same enclosure?

IM not sure what the best way to explain it would be... It's almost spongey?.. When I picked him up i noticed his underbelly wasnt as hard as it usually is so of course i pressed a bit on it and it "squished"? It went in.. IM sorry im really bad at explaining it... The substrate is three bricks of coco coir and 3 lbs of "cypress rose mulch" ... They aren't in the same enclosure together but they kinda share one.. I use the largest enclosure for Blair while squirtle is in her outdoor enclosure then i have an enclosure for Blair at night while squirtle goes into the big one. I don't trust squirtle outside at night by herself yet.

krh11b23

5 Year Member
Squishy doesn't sound good. My best advice ensure he's getting calcium. The best thing u can do is give him some outside natural sunshine.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I think at one year old, he should be bigger as well...
get outside in sunshine as much as possible, add liquid calcium to soaks.

kensie

5 Year Member
wellington said:
The pic of the littler one, he looks very dry. They usually do not go squishy after being hard. They do have a little give, but not squishy. What are your temps, and humidity? How often are you soaking? Please read Toms threads below in my post for raising a sulcata in a hot and humid environment.

I don't know why he looks so dry.. I soak him twice a day. My humidity stays between 80-90%. My temp has been a little off but never lower than 80 degrees F. I have read almost all of his posts.

Laura said:
I think at one year old, he should be bigger as well...
get outside in sunshine as much as possible, add liquid calcium to soaks.

I thought he should be bigger too... I feed him three times a day.. He gets at the very least 3 hours of "outside time a day"... Ill have to try the calcium.

Status
Not open for further replies.