Upcycled, $0.00 Outdoor Tortoise pens

Laura Currado

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oakland County, MI
My husband and I are experiencing severe financial difficulties, but that isn't our tortoise's problem, or shouldn't be, at any rate. Though we can't afford little more than food and good lighting, we did want to give them proper, summer enclosures...and we were able to without spending a cent and using what we had around. I feel as though sometimes, pet-owners can get a bit self-righteous in their attitudes, developing a "it's my way or give your pets to someone better than you" mentality...but that isn't always fair, or right. But sometimes tort-owners don't need much money to give their pets what is needed. So whether one wants to be earth-conscious or money-wise, maybe this will inspire some ideas for others as well as more for ourselves.

We cut two large metal gates in half and used those to create a barrier between them and our dogs. We lined that on the inside with old concrete, garden edgers we found in our backyard, and separated the two pens with old wooden pilings also found on the property. We planted the pens with bishop's goutweed, hostas, and tons of giant dandelion and clover...also on our property. Some hugely thick slate pieces and rocks we found were also thrown in, as well as a cracked flower pot for a Hermann hide.

No, they're not perfect...and yes, I realize not at all sufficient for a Sulcata much older than our 3-year old Sig...but for this summer, it will suffice...provided we keep our male Hermann from digging out! ;)

Attachments

• tort1.jpg
    tort1.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 153
  • tort2.jpg
    tort2.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 144

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's nothing at all wrong with cheap and easy. I also recycle used stuff. I have a great, big wood yard at the back of my property and all the collected scrap lumber is stacked according to size. I'm sure my neighbors really enjoy looking over their fence at my scrap yard, but it sure does come in handy when I'm buildin pens.

Laura Currado

5 Year Member
Oakland County, MI
I'm sure my neighbors really enjoy looking over their fence at my scrap yard, but it sure does come in handy when I'm buildin pens.
I'm sure my neighbors cringed when they saw me planting giant dandelions I had dug up from around our house into a "garden" in the back! Oh well...at least the flowers will never go to seed in there!

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I think it's great!!! I really don't think the tortoise would appreciate it anymore, if you spent big money on it.
It's perfect!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Looks fantastic. Recycled is the absolute best way to go. It isn't how much money you spend, it is your day to day care and attention that matters. Providing water, extra weeds, etc.
And your Hermann's will be fine; just keep an eye on him. If he starts to burrow in a certain area; block it off with an extra paver.
Well done!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I wish your situation turn around to your favorite soon. And you and your husband did a good job on those enclosures. It looks great.

I like it.

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Awesome....it looks great. I LOVE upcycling!! Both of my tortoise enclosures were free (well, I did pay for some of the things *in* them...the water dishes / pools, but that's about it).