Upcoming hibernation

m irwin

Location (City and/or State)
Dallas
I am curious what, if any, adjustments any of us box turtle keepers do to their outside 100% of the time turtles to prepare them for hibernation. Where I am (Texas), my three toed's and Ornate's typically go down for good in November. Before that, I will mound up fallen leaves into piles in their enclosure and some seem to utilize it. Last year, I bought last a few hay bales that are out for Halloween decoration and mounded them up as well. Other than that, I don't do anything else really. I don't change their diet. I don't bring them inside. I don't stress if they can make it. I let them do their thing as they have for millennia. And it seems to work fine. I do have a turtle or two that will come out of hibernation with shut eyes, or with a respitory infection at times, but I go to the vet and get it fixed. What adjustments or actions do you all take in anticipation of winter? I have had box turtles going on approx, 8 years now so am not a rookie, but am always hoping to learn more to provide for their care.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I use cypress mulch, and as you do, I rake all the leaves and pile them. They gradually go off food as the temperature decreases. I like to be two weeks ahead so I can cut off food completely so nothing is rotting in their gut, because they can't digest without heat. t's not too uncommon for their eyes to be shut tight after winter in my opinion. I'm sure someone else can correct me if I'm wrong. I have gotten the odd respiratory infection, but it's rare and usually clears up once they get some sun. I also use kiddie pools, turn them face down and cut a big enough rainbow for them to enter, but not too big. I also poke holes on the side for ventilation. It surprisingly can get up to 70, almost 80 under there deep into winter on a sunny day. I pile cypress and leaves under there and they chill till spring. I also have a piece of wood I use to keep them in. It also keeps them dry which lessens the chance of an infection. Hopes this helps. I too am learning every day.

Skip K

Virginia
I live in No Virginia. One thing I do is around this time start cutting back feeding and begin adding leaves and grass to their enclosure…to a depth of about 8-12 inches. As more leaves fall I add leaves only. Grass tends to decompose quickly so why I initially put it in the enclosure is to help soften and break down the top layer of soil somewhat for ease in digging into with the leaves making up the “canopy” over them.