UNUSUAL CLUTCH

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
This weeks clutch was to say the least .... very unusual . Out of 5 eggs 3 of them turned out with "splittys" on their sides., all in a very strange location. Even more interesting was the color combo between clutchmates ....just outstanding coloring , head , legs and one with almost a solid red tail, and of course the odd man out. ;)
These were on the same shelf and tray as past weeks hatches with no split scutes what so ever in other clutches (4 since the first of the year from 3 different females). Back to the drawing board .. .could this be a genetic trait ? ....and not just high temps that may cause abnormities such as"splittys" that we have all assumed in the past? This female has produced before and 2 of them came out with " back zippers" remember them from last month ?

36253470.jpg

nc3e.jpg

nc4cg.jpg

nc5q.jpg

And even more bizarre the " Odd man " Out ..A very Black Cherry
nc7u.jpg

nc9.jpg

nc2v.jpg

36253470.jpg

JD~:)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Wow! that is unusual. What a pretty bunch. I wish I can own the one in the second pic. Outstanding.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I agree, that second one is awesome. Some split scutes are seeming to be genetic. I recall a friend who had a male with a split and when he was bred to her females, she had more splits.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
I agree, that second one is awesome. Some split scutes are seeming to be genetic. I recall a friend who had a male with a split and when he was bred to her females, she had more splits.

Good point ... Jacqui ...and now to make things more wild v^v^ I only have 2 males and 6 female adult Cherries in that part of the Cove'.... I know who the mother is 100% and the dad 80/20 , but none of my adults have any split scutes what so ever. This female has produced 2X this year and at least one per clutch had a " splitty" ... wild eh ?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
JD,
You posted a single split scute hatchling a few weeks ago and it, like the ones pictured above, had a single split scute on the costals. In fact, all of them have been between the middle two costal scutes. Could be coincidence but it is a pattern. Was that previous post from this same female as well?

From my experience, there are always multiple factors that result in singular outputs in nature. In this case, I think both genetics and incubation environment are playing a role in the split scutes. I'm basing this on anecdotal evidence I've observed, but I think it warrants investigation. Would TFO be willing to fund a PhD project?

3 of my 4 have split scutes, if I ever breed them it will be interesting to see what happens.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Redstrike said:
JD,
You posted a single split scute hatchling a few weeks ago and it, like the ones pictured above, had a single split scute on the costals. In fact, all of them have been between the middle two costal scutes. Could be coincidence but it is a pattern. Was that previous post from this same female as well?

From my experience, there are always multiple factors that result in singular outputs in nature. In this case, I think both genetics and incubation environment are playing a role in the split scutes. I'm basing this on anecdotal evidence I've observed, but I think it warrants investigation. Would TFO be willing to fund a PhD project?

Chris your spot on ..... the side splitty and the zipper back from last month , both from the same female. As a far as the incubation environment, like I mentioned these were in the same tray on the same shelf (same envio/temps) as other eggs , with no splitty at all. To throw another curve ball in it , this female has layed clutches with no spittly at all within clutches as well. The PHD. project would be a nice idea.. One of my goals this year.... to set aside more time to do more research. Oh yea .... I forgot about this thing called work ! urgh.........:(

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
sibi said:
Wow! that is unusual. What a pretty bunch. I wish I can own the one in the second pic. Outstanding.

Sibi' .....that can be arranged! .....:p

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
So many cute pics... this is just making me wish I was buying more than just one from you! :p

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
my son just seen the pictures and said "daddy, can we have all of these" I have to wait till june till I get 2-3 more yellows the years before I can breed them but jd you always have amazing pictures love your clutches

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Is it possible that even though the 2 males didn't have split scutes, that they carry the genes? Yes, P.M. me about that one.

N2TORTS said:
sibi said:

Sibi' .....that can be arranged! .....:p

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am hearing the sounds of a split scute soon to be flying off to FL. :D

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:

Jacqui .... I think one of these has your name on it ! ...;)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Rover15 said:
N2TORTS said:
Jacqui said:

Stupid canadian border .... I want my name on a tort lol

No Doubt .... You and a few other good Canucks'
Where I live .... they just hop the fence ! ... hahaha ha :p

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
N2TORTS said:
Rover15 said:
N2TORTS said:
Jacqui said:

Stupid canadian border .... I want my name on a tort lol

No Doubt .... You and a few other good Canucks'
Where I live .... they just hop the fence ! ... hahaha ha :p

I have thought about it I live close to the boarder and my mother goes to nascar in michigan 2 times a year and they have a trailer and all sorts of places for a hatchling stowaway :p but it is illegal and besides how would I find good breeders/reptile stores beween michigan and the niagra boarder ;) lmao its late I need to stop my mind from wandering or I could go to jail XD

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
N2TORTS said:
Jacqui said:

I would love to, but there is this silly thing called no money. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.