Unreal! Praying Mantis attacks baby tortoise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnold_rules

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gilbert, AZ
kanalomele said:
Cowboy_Ken said:
Arnold_rules said:
This reminds me of some old Japanese monster flick like "Kamacuras vs Gamera". Fortunately, "Ultra Man" stepped in to calm the combatants.

OK, was that a little too 70's nerd coming through?

See, I was reminded of, “Son of Godzilla" a classic.

Ghaaa! Loved those old Ultraman and Godzilla flicks! 70's nerds UNITE!

Oh yeah. I am in heaven I found a Roku channel that has a bunch of the 70's Japanese SciFi films.:cool:

OK, enough thread hi jacking. Any more incidents with the PM hunting tortoises?

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Unreal! Praying Mantis attacks baby tortoise!

cemmons12 said:
Yeah, that damn bug would have been a dead bug for sure!!!

No no no, the mantis will not be killed. I took it in, I created the situation, mantis is only doing what its meant to do. They are great for natural insect control, and should not be harmed. It stands on the very top of the insect food chain, I think it only looses to giant hornet.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I catch mantis when I see them to show my little boys. I never knew about them eating birds or the color changes depending on the environment.
When my boys are older I think we'll do an experiment. Raise 4 separately. Each one in an enclosure with only one color of foliage. Green, brown, red and blue. Wouldn't it be neat to see what happens??

Sent from my TFOapp

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
mikeh said:
cemmons12 said:

No no no, the mantis will not be killed. I took it in, I created the situation, mantis is only doing what its meant to do. They are great for natural insect control, and should not be harmed. It stands on the very top of the insect food chain, I think it only looses to giant hornet.

I'm so thankful you didn't kill it. I actually wish we had them on this island (maybe not around my hatchlings though)!

Team Gomberg said:
I catch mantis when I see them to show my little boys. I never knew about them eating birds or the color changes depending on the environment.
When my boys are older I think we'll do an experiment. Raise 4 separately. Each one in an enclosure with only one color of foliage. Green, brown, red and blue. Wouldn't it be neat to see what happens??

Sent from my TFOapp

That would be an awesome experiment! I homeschool my kids, and would love to do something like this if we could get praying mantis here! If you do it, I would love to see progress pics!

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Unreal! Praying Mantis attacks baby tortoise!

sunshine_hugs said:
mikeh said:
cemmons12 said:

I'm so thankful you didn't kill it. I actually wish we had them on this island (maybe not around my hatchlings though)!

Team Gomberg said:

Sent from my TFOapp

That would be an awesome experiment! I homeschool my kids, and would love to do something like this if we could get praying mantis here! If you do it, I would love to see progress pics!

You can buy egg sacks and hatch your own mantis. Its not expensive.

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
I just don't know how I could get them down to the Caribbean (with importation laws), but I'll look into it for sure! Would be so neat...and I could use them in my garden!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I'm really thinking we will do it. We start homeschool with 1st grade in sept. 2015
Right now, my 3 year old is very into bugs. This morning he was collecting roly poly bugs while I was working in the tortoise pens. He would pull them around in his red wagon with mulberry leaves. So cute :)

Sent from my TFOapp

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
TommyZ said:
Chrisbarrett27 said:
I would have killed that mantis!

Most peeps would, but dont forget, they are endangered.

Only one Spanish species, Apteromantis aptera, is listed as Lower Risk/Near Threatened. With one exception (the ground mantis Litaneutria minor in Canada, where it is rare — though it is common in the United States), North American mantises are not included among threatened or endangered species, though species in other parts of the world are under threat from habitat destruction. The European mantis (Mantis religiosa) is the state insect of Connecticut, but the General Statutes of Connecticut do not list any special protected status, as it is a non-native species from Europe and Africa.[16]

from . . . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantis

FYI

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.