Unluckiest tortoise in the world?

Melissa101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
My Harry (who, some of you may remember, was picked up and subsequently dropped by a seagull several months ago), is now dealing with a brand new problem. A prolapsing penis. I have an update for those who are interested:

I took Harry to the vet today, for the second time in less than a week, and he was able to get everything back in Harry again. This was a relief, because seeing Harry having to drag part of himself along the floor is always really upsetting, and it's so hard to tell with a tortoise whether they're in pain!

He also gave me some cream which I need to put in a syringe (not a needle one, the kind you use to administer oral meds) and put up in his tail. This is not something I'm looking forward to, as I very much doubt Harry will enjoy it. The medicine is to soothe and hopefully stop his penis swelling so much when it comes out.

As for the reason behind it, the vet thinks it's actually caused by a birth defect. Harry's tail has always bent in a strange direction (noted by several reptile vets), and since becoming sexually mature, when his penis comes out, it can't get back in, and ends up getting dragged and coming out further. The vet had to put it back in again a few minutes after I left the surgery, and showed me how to put it back in if it comes out again at home. Apparently you have to be quite firm with it, which I hadn't been before.

I'm just crossing my fingers the cream will help in some way, but if this is a birth defect, I fear surgery may be required. I feel pretty helpless, as other than administer the cream and keep a close eye on him, there's not much else I can do.

I was thinking of soaking him more frequently too? Maybe if he's even more hydrated the risk of it coming out during deification will decrease (as that's what caused it to pop out the second time today).

Anyone else had much experience with this kind of thing?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow so sorry, for both of you. The poor guy is having it ruff for sure. What I know from the forum is to keep it moist if it comes out and you can't get it back in. More soaks won't hurt so try it. I also know that it may have to be amputated. Hopefully the cream and soaks will work and hopefully he will out grow it. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
What a guy!
A really unlucky lad, or is he?
He's still with us.
if he has to have it removed it won't make him any less happy or adorable!
Good luck and thanks for posting.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There are other reasons for prolapsed penis besides birth defect (I'm not saying that's NOT what's wrong with yours, just something else to look at) - constipation, kidney or bladder stones, an over abundance of parasites. Rule all of these out before you settle in on one cause.

Melissa101

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks guys.

So it happened again today, and I managed to get it back in with a mixture of my fingers, making sure it was really wet, and a q tip.

I kept stopping to let him have a break, as I wanted to be gentle so it took a while. In the little breaks he was happily eating, despite not seeming happy at all when I was trying to get it back inside. Do you think that, because he was eating, he probably wasn't too stressed out? I know it needs to be done, and that he won't enjoy it, but I don't want him to become incredibly stressed and cause more damage!