Unknown tortoise in suburban socal need help/advice

katie2000c

Location (City and/or State)
Corona, California
My coworker found this tortoise in her front yard in Cerritos, CA a week or so ago, she tried to find the owner to no avail. I offered to take him (I'm pretty sure its a him, there's a large indent on the bottom of his stomach which I think is indicative of a male, but I haven't been able to see a tail yet so I'm not 100%). I know if he's a desert tortoise I'd need a permit which I'm willing to get, but I think he was a pet and not wild because of the suburban location and how he reacts to humans. He is eating and bright eyed, moving a lot. I just would like a confirmation on the breed so I can know the best steps to take next. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, the cracks seem healed and dry so I think they are old, but again I'm not sure. Also if someone could give me an age estimate.
Thanks!

IMG_3838.jpgIMG_3835.jpgIMG_3830.jpgIMG_3831.jpg61852527007__7CF96E5E-71BC-41FA-8D03-125ED54D7FFB.JPEG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. The species is Gopherus agassizi. The CA desert tortoise. Breeds are variations of animals within a single species. Like chihuahuas and Great Danes. Same species, different breeds.

You do indeed have an old mature male. You can tell by the pronounced chin glands and the elongated gular scutes. The concave plastron is another dead giveaway.

Here is the care info, including diet and housing:

That thread is a mix of starting babies and housing adults, but the outdoor housing info and hibernation info will be helpful for you.

katie2000c

Corona, California
Hello and welcome. The species is Gopherus agassizi. The CA desert tortoise. Breeds are variations of animals within a single species. Like chihuahuas and Great Danes. Same species, different breeds.

You do indeed have an old mature male. You can tell by the pronounced chin glands and the elongated gular scutes. The concave plastron is another dead giveaway.

Here is the care info, including diet and housing:

That thread is a mix of starting babies and housing adults, but the outdoor housing info and hibernation info will be helpful for you.
Thank you for responding so quick! Wow I didn't know you could determine age from that gular scute but it did seem particularly large and I figured it would be significant. I wanna make a great life for this guy and I'll definitely use that link as a resource.

Reactions: Tom

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome and good luck with your new friend. Read what Tom sent you. He really knows his stuff.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Thanks for taking care of him . enjoy