Unintentional tortoise rescuer?

Pudge

Location (City and/or State)
California
love reptiles! A dream of mine is to have a small herd of galaps in my well manicured yard but til i win the lottery it will stay as a dream for now lol my first tortoise is a Russian i adopted from my brother when he moved out of the country 3 years ago. Second Russian was also another adoption situation from a mutual friend about a year ago. not sure if ill have a quota but I’m going to limit it to Russians for now to avoid ending up like a zoo(and possible diseases). So if you guys are having a hard time rehoming your tortoise then u can hit me up. Currently learning how to neuter reptiles(vet by trade) since i currently only have one big outdoor pen and dont want no babies lol I’m also starting to consider the idea of rehoming out these tortoise to responsible families to keep the cycle going :)

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

You've probably already read it, but here is our care sheet for Russians.

Please brush up on all your tort knowledge and prepare to be kept busy...we need vets on here! ?

And please don't feel insulted when we post that many vets don't have a clue how to care for a tort. Most exotics vets do, but sadly, general practice vets just aren't up to speed on up to date tort husbandry.

I see you're in CA...are you in the cold end or the warm end? Just curious...

Glad to have you here! ?

Pudge

California
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

You've probably already read it, but here is our care sheet for Russians.

Please brush up on all your tort knowledge and prepare to be kept busy...we need vets on here! ?

And please don't feel insulted when we post that many vets don't have a clue how to care for a tort. Most exotics vets do, but sadly, general practice vets just aren't up to speed on up to date tort husbandry.

I see you're in CA...are you in the cold end or the warm end? Just curious...

Glad to have you here! ?
im in the sfv in socal :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
I think Karen forgot to post the link you need so this is it -
There is a lot of old information still being circulated by pet stores breeders and even some vets, but that is the most up to date caresheet you'll find anywhere, as are the other caresheets for most other species.
Are you learning to neuter torts?
Can't help wondering why because surgery is so risky for them, and as long as males and females are kept separately you won't get fertilised eggs so no babies. Also torts of either gender shouldn't be kept in pairs so it shouldn't be an issue if they have there own enclosures.
Anyway you're in the right place to learn more about torts of all species from very experienced keepers world wide who are always happy to help and I'm sure your contribution will be greatly appreciated.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Always good to have professionals join up! You will be rewarded if you poke around a while, to find writeups/breeding programs for some of the last of certain species...all done on your level. The level of talent here is amazing and refreshing!

Enjoy,