UnHibernating

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbyparit

I did a search in the forums, but didn't see any information on unhibernating box turtles. They have been hibernating in a pool filled with dirt/leaves etc... in my basement. Will they unhibernate based on time or based on temperature? If temperature, then I need to bring them up out of the basement because it stays cool there. Do I just dig them out and bring them up? Do I need to have a lot of food ready? Does it happen slowly or do they just "wake up?" Thanks.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Temperature and light have a lot to do with it, ounce you have good temps suitable for the wake up I'd remove them from basement and let them wake up, where are you located at? That also has some to do with it. All of my box turtles have woken up already but were already in the 80s in north Texas. If your still in the 30-40 range at night it's a bit too early.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
They won't eat until their core temperature can warm up to at least 80F degrees. Can you bring the container full of box turtles up out of the basement and just leave it sitting someplace safe and dry?

Last edited:

bbyparit

I am in Central Kansas. We have been above 75 degrees for two weeks, but we do have two more freeze days in the 10 day forecast where it will get below freezing at night. I figure it will be April before we want them to wake up. I cannot bring the container upstairs safely as it is a wading pool and would have to go through a few doorways.. I mean, we can fold it like a taco, but that wouldn't be much different than digging them up at that point. :)

We have an outdoor habitat that they lived in all last year.. we have it clean and ready for them... just wasn't sure when or how to deal with hibernation ending. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.