Unhealthy Looking Sulcata in CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
I know that this might sound crazy, but why not just level with the lady? Tell her about this thread, and explain that you have the tortoises best interest at heart. All these half truths tend to backfire. The end doesn't justify the means.

SBeanie

5 Year Member
California
LuckysGirl007 said:
I'm home from shopping and still haven't heard from her after telling her I live me Phoenix. I know I was busy all day so I will wait until tomorrow and try her again. In the mean time if someone in the area wants to try to contact her feel free. Shelby will be the one with the money though.

I don't have the money quite yet. We are still working it out (shellysmom is the one funding the operation, I am offering a pick up and shipping to the foster momma Jacqui) but I can't move until the lady replys and says its ok. Until then I guess we just wait and hope for the best.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
yagyujubei said:
I know that this might sound crazy, but why not just level with the lady? Tell her about this thread, and explain that you have the tortoises best interest at heart. All these half truths tend to backfire. The end doesn't justify the means.

I would normally agree, but once a lie is started trying to stop it now could also be a serious negative result. :( We are between a rock and a hard place now and I think we just need to see what happens. Folks did what seemed the best option at the time. With luck it will all turn out for the best.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I really would not suggest saying anything about a rescue. Thats when she is really going to back off. People do not want to hear those words. It makes them feel like they have done something bad. I would not recommend it.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Anyone else on here can email her? Preferably someone in the area that she can go do. Just don't mention this thread, TRN, or TFO. She won't know we all know each other.

I hate lies. I feel awful! I honestly wish I could personally help Dude but he's just too far away! I wish I could have been honest with her...but I was afraid she would't respond. Which seems to be what had happened now. :(

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Do you mean that she's been spooked somehow? Isn't she going to keep her word to sell him to Shelby? Is there any way I can email her and ask if she's willing to ship to Florida? I can do it, and if she agrees, then we can arrange the details later if I receive him. It would be better, though, if someone in California could email her and get involved. Maybe it's just because it's the New Year that she hasn't responded. Give her a day or so. Then, we can go from there.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
yagyujubei said:

Telling the truth only seems to work when the seller is not the original owner of the tort, and the prior owner can be "blamed" for the poor condition if the animal. Otherwise, the seller feels completely offended and shuts down all communication...

Since she doesn't know we all know each other, though, I'll contact her as a rescue, and see what happens... It might work.

OK, I just sent her an email. Fingers crossed.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
She may just be busy or somebody may have came along who was wanting the entire package deal.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
I just heard back. She just wants some pics of where he will be staying. I think we are still good. Once she agrees I will turn it over to Shelby to arrange a pick up time.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Oh, great! This is good news...now who has good pics....lololol...of where he will be staying? Jacqui?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Okay folks I went through my pictures and came up with these. Not sure they will pass for AZ however. I can't do current pictures as we got snow yesterday.

This would be his first outside pen. This fall I did plant in some bushes, which were not present at the time of this picture. Also I removed patches of grass and replanted in new seeds including replacing the turnip and the clover patch which the previous tortoises had taken out. There is actually a shelter that goes off on that lower right hand corner, but this picture does not show it. The water dish would also be changed as it's too deep for Dude.

029.jpg

At the far back you can't see it, but there is a much loved by the sulcatas mud bath. Once more, because he is smaller I will be lowering the sides so he can get in and out better.

034-2.jpg

This is what a sulcata looks like after his mud bath

094-1.jpg

While a lot of Dude's diet and day will be made up of grazing

152.jpg

I do give treats

073.jpg

I try to raise as much of the food as I can for my tortoises. I also plant atleast one grape vine for each tortoise I keep and the sulcatas can eat a lot of leaves. :D Other goodies include things like mulberry leaves
022.jpg

weeds like clover and plantain. There is also a piece of grape vine growing in that picture.
121.jpg

Hibiscus
066-2.jpg

and of course cactus
138-2.jpg

I also buy hay and Mazuri as additional food sources. So Dude will have a wide variety of foods to choose from with these just being a few examples.

While I can't show you what Dude's first temporary enclosure while in isolation looks like, this would be a rough example. This is for another species of tortoise, so with it being a sulcata there won't be leaf piles and fake vines, but a basking spot will be needed to be added for example. Still it gives you a very rough idea of what his first home will be. His actual size will also make for a difference in how he is set up. This enclosure is for a smaller tortoise then he is, so that too will be a change. I isolate any new animal for their protection, as well as ones already living here. Isolation will also give me a good chance to get to know Dude, his likes and his needs. That way his more permanent home will be modified to suited to him and him alone. Of course with sulcatas they tend to move through homes rather quickly with their fast growth so no enclosure is very "permanent". :D

010.jpg

012.jpg

Think any of those pictures and comments will work? I have no idea what she has already been told, so keep that in mind too. Sorry but most everything I have pictures for, is set up for hingebacks not sulcata. :(

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I absolutely love it Jacqui, i it was me i would be very happy with it. What is the said orange flower treat?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
mainey34 said:
I absolutely love it Jacqui, i it was me i would be very happy with it. What is the said orange flower treat?

Oh that one is a daylily. :D The variety in that picture is one that many ditches in the area even have growing wild that folks planted around their houses years ago. Today's are much more colorful. They make great shade plants in with the smaller tortoises, even leopards. My sulcata only are given the blooms.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Jacqui,
That is AWESOME! I wish I had the time and room to be able to do that!

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
I sent her some pics of my little guys set up and explained Dude would be in something similar when he got here. Still waiting for a reply. I didn't have any pics without torts in them and I didn't want to send her pics with the foster torts I've had in there. I will keep you guys posted though!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
It looks great for Dude. Is it confirmed yet that she'll sell him to you? Did someone actually get her phone number?

Status
Not open for further replies.