Unhealthy Looking Sulcata in CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBeanie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
mainey34 said:
Someone lease respond with a name so that Kim can give this lady a name. For a pick up, other wise you are going to have an assumed name...lol.. i cant believe the demands this lady is asking, i guess because she has had him so long but look at his conditions..

Shelby Bean. I live less than 40mins away from him and will be happy to pick him up for who ever needs me to get there in a hurry.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Perfect, thanks Shelby. Make sure to send Shellysmom a PM and let her know how to get the $ to you. I'm not sure how soon Waterboy will be able to take him or if maybe you can ship on your own...and I haven't heard back from Jacqui yet.

I just sent this lady a wonderfully detailed email on what Dude's day will be...including temps, specific foods, supplements...everything! It's difficult since I know she doesn't know what he NEEDS to try to impress her with the excellent care he will be getting. I will let you all know what she says when I hear back from her. Perhaps this time she will be willing to give me a phone number!!!!

SBeanie

5 Year Member
California
LuckysGirl007 said:
Perfect, thanks Shelby. Make sure to send Shellysmom a PM and let her know how to get the $ to you. I'm not sure how soon Waterboy will be able to take him or if maybe you can ship on your own...and I haven't heard back from Jacqui yet.

I just sent this lady a wonderfully detailed email on what Dude's day will be...including temps, specific foods, supplements...everything! It's difficult since I know she doesn't know what he NEEDS to try to impress her with the excellent care he will be getting. I will let you all know what she says when I hear back from her. Perhaps this time she will be willing to give me a phone number!!!!

Is waterboy taking him permanently or is Jacqui? I guess I'm confused on to who is going to take him. Haha
I sent a PM to shellysmom saying who I was and how far away I am. and that I'm happy to offer to pick him up.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sorry, I drove into town to get supplies (mainly something to tempt my husband into eating), so I missed the request, but see you made one up in the meantime.

SBeanie

5 Year Member
California
Jacqui said:
Sorry, I drove into town to get supplies (mainly something to tempt my husband into eating), so I missed the request, but see you made one up in the meantime.

Are you the one who will be taking "dude" in? :)

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Yes, I got it all made up! I WOW'ed her! She said I can have him for $100 BUT she wants to bring him to my house to see where he will be living and make sure he is getting a good home...OOOPPPSSS! And that's why I HATE making stuff up...

Any ideas for that one guys???

She seems to really care for him and said that she was mislead by the person she got him from. She claims the vet says other than the pyramiding he is healthy...but I don't know about that.

Anyways...I will not be able to update for a few hours...I have 4 girls ages 10-17 waiting for me to take them shopping! They have been patiently waiting all week! I'll check my messages and but won't be able to type long responses...they will be keeping me busy!

I was hoping Jacqui would be the one taking Dude in long-term. Waterboy is full on his rescues right now but it willing to help get him to Jacqui for us since he is in the area...sort of. He has been super busy with work lately too so I'm not sure how soon he will be available.

Should I just tell her I live in Phoenix and my friend is shipping to me? I'm afraid if I mention shipping at all she will change her mind. Some people are so afraid of it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would say you live in phoenix and your friend is bring the tortoise (driving) to you when she comes to visit. Or if Waterboy's place is close to Dude's, then maybe he can show her one of his sulcata pens.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
emysemys said:
I would say you live in phoenix and your friend is bring the tortoise (driving) to you when she comes to visit.

That is what I would suggest too. Driving sounds much better and explains why she can't come to your place... unless she wants to bring him herself. The bringing it herself should show that you have no problem with her visit in of itself.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Ok..will do that now before I leave. Waterboy is 2 hours away and I would have to bother him. I will offer to send her some pics of my torts though and their homes.

Shelby, I'm going to PM you my cell so we can text while I am out today if needed. I am going to tell her that my friend, Shelby, is picking him up and driving him to me in Phoenix.

SBeanie

5 Year Member
California
Well if anyone needs me to pick up and pretend I can do it. Just let me know. Best of luck. :)

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Shelby, I sent you a pm...we can text today while my kids shop and make sure we get our stories straight.

I'm obviously not very good at walking away from this guy to get stuff done! My poor kiddos are still waiting! I gotta dry my hair and get to shopping! Text me if you need me...I am REALLY walking away from the computer this time....REALLY!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
If this does not work..someone who is close is going to have to email her. He needs to get out of there..

robopeen

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
If this lady is going to keep giving us the run around are there any type of authorities that can pick the animal up? I mean it's clear the animal is not in good health.

SBeanie

5 Year Member
California
Luckygirl007 (Kim) is in contact and waiting for a response from the lady on Craigslist. She is out right now with family but said she will contact me when the lady replys. So I'll let you all know when I find out.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
robopeen said:
If this lady is going to keep giving us the run around are there any type of authorities that can pick the animal up? I mean it's clear the animal is not in good health.

From what I am understanding the current owner did fail to give poor care, but was doing what she was told to do as far as care goes. My belief is she has since started to find out where all she went wrong, but the damage is done and it will be a long and very slow road back for Dude.

At this point why contact any authorities? She is already trying to make good for Dude. These sorts of things just take time to get everybody organized and on the same page. We need to practice some patience and keep good thoughts going that things will work out as they should.

robopeen

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
Jacqui said:
robopeen said:

From what I am understanding the current owner did fail to give poor care, but was doing what she was told to do as far as care goes. My belief is she has since started to find out where all she went wrong, but the damage is done and it will be a long and very slow road back for Dude.

At this point why contact any authorities? She is already trying to make good for Dude. These sorts of things just take time to get everybody organized and on the same page. We need to practice some patience and keep good thoughts going that things will work out as they should.

You're right and if the owner wants to give Dude a better life than that's great. But I hope she will actually let us help her. I'm afraid with all the demands she might not be willing to work with us, but I hope that's not the case.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
robopeen said:

I don't think we need to go that far. It looks like we'll get him with a little patience and persistence. None of the "authorities" I've met or worked with have ever had much interest in removing reptiles from bad situations. Sometimes it's like pulling teeth just to get them to check on dogs and cats in trouble...

robopeen

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
shellysmom said:
robopeen said:

I don't think we need to go that far. It looks like we'll get him with a little patience and persistence. None of the "authorities" I've met or worked with have ever had much interest in removing reptiles from bad situations. Sometimes it's like pulling teeth just to get them to check on dogs and cats in trouble...

Probably not, I'm just really worried about him. :[

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Agreed..if she decides not to work with kim, someone in the area is going to have to take over. For the sake of this guy...but lets just be patient and see what happens..i know its killing. Me too. This is what happens when we get in these rescue situations..we just want to run over there and save them, but unfortunately it just takes time...

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
I'm home from shopping and still haven't heard from her after telling her I live me Phoenix. I know I was busy all day so I will wait until tomorrow and try her again. In the mean time if someone in the area wants to try to contact her feel free. Shelby will be the one with the money though.

Status
Not open for further replies.