Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Poor "Dude." And it sounds as if the seller has no idea there is anything wrong with the tortoise.

robopeen

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
emysemys said:
Poor "Dude." And it sounds as if the seller has no idea there is anything wrong with the tortoise.

Yup, and he even mentions that whoever wants the tortoise should read up on them, but I'm not sure the owner has. It's so sad to see that poor tortoise. :[

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I collect photos of horribly disfigured tortoise. Poor Dude's pic are now added to my collection. Sorry Dude. Wish your owners weren't so ignorant.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Tom said:
I collect photos of horribly disfigured tortoise. Poor Dude's pic are now added to my collection. Sorry Dude. Wish your owners weren't so ignorant.

Out of curiosity. Why do you do that?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
this is what my Baby Runt would've looked like in three years had he'd not been rescued. He has MBD and probably is too weak to walk much. We may have to get TRF involved on this one.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Dude is the kind of project I would like to take on.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
I texted a TRN person that lives in the area to see if he can take this "Dude" in. Hopefully he can and we can help this poor guy out. :(

If anyone is able to actually get him and ship them there is a foster home ready for him in TX also.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Like I said, I would love to work with him, if he becomes available.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
Wow, very sad. It's hard to understand how that tort got that way though if it spends time in that outdoor space with grass to eat, and lots of sunshine.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
JeffG said:
Wow, very sad. It's hard to understand how that tort got that way though if it spends time in that outdoor space with grass to eat, and lots of sunshine.

I'm wondering the same thing... Maybe he started out inside, without a UV light, etc. I tend to think with the regular access to sunlight and grass he's had, at least recently, that whatever health issues he had in the past might be resolved at this point. I've come across some sullies who are horribly disfigured from past ignorance, but are otherwise okay, and don't exhibit current symptoms of MBD or other illness. I think that's what we're seeing here. Jacqui, if that's the case, this one might not be the project you are looking for...???

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
No, actually it is exactly what I am looking for and wanting to work with actually because of it's type of problems.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I suspect that the owner had no idea on how to care for sullies. I think he wasn't exposed to UV rays and that he recently did some research only to find that Dude was neglected and abused for years. The pics you see was staged to make everyone believe he had a normal life. His shell tells the truth - you can't explain that away. Even though I can't prove this, the proof is revealed in his shell! And, MBD can't be determined until you examine the sully for other signs like a soft shell and x-rays. But, if he spent years getting that way, it isn't likely that he's out of the woods.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Well, looking at the pics again there is not one of the tort standing up with his tummy off the ground. Hard to tell if those back legs work from the pics. I bet he was kept inside for a long time...most of the time and that's how this happened. Plus it seems he's been eating a lot of fruits for a sully. I haven't heard back on the size yet. He will probably have some kidney problems if he doesn't already. He will also need a lot of sunlight. I've taken several very sad looking Sulcatas to the vet...same story every time. :(.

robopeen

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
LuckysGirl007 said:
Well, looking at the pics again there is not one of the tort standing up with his tummy off the ground. Hard to tell if those back legs work from the pics. I bet he was kept inside for a long time...most of the time and that's how this happened. Plus it seems he's been eating a lot of fruits for a sully. I haven't heard back on the size yet. He will probably have some kidney problems if he doesn't already. He will also need a lot of sunlight. I've taken several very sad looking Sulcatas to the vet...same story every time. :(.

I hope he can be rescued and get a chance to live a long and healthy life. I guess we won't know until he gets checked out by a vet. I hope someone on here can get him so we can know how he does.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Ok...I just heard back from the owner....

Dude is only FIVE pounds! 8.5 inches long, 4.5 inches tall, and 6.25 inches wide! Waterboy is two hours away. Erika, what do you think???? I want to ask if they will consider selling the tort only for less $. Would the OP be able to pick up and meet Waterboy somewhere if he was able to meet you somewhere??

robopeen

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
LuckysGirl007 said:
Ok...I just heard back from the owner....

Dude is only FIVE pounds! 8.5 inches long, 4.5 inches tall, and 6.25 inches long! Waterboy is two hours away. Erika, what do you think???? I want to ask if they will consider selling the tort only for less $. Would the OP be able to pick up and meet Waterboy somewhere if he was able to meet you somewhere??

I might be able to. Dude lives about an hour away from me. I'd have to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.