Unexpected surprise...

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
When you put the reptomin or whatever turtle food in let it float to the bottom, babies normally like to forage at the bottom of their tanks/enclosures more than go after the floating food I have noticed.

Also try other stuff like dried or fresh meats like - shrimp/fish/chicken/etc.

Smile

5 Year Member
I caught one of them (Pumpkin) eating the floating reptomin last night. I really love them both but if at least one of them survives, then I'll be happy. Soon after I watched Pumpkin eat, I caught him/her trying to do the mating dance with Herbie... does this mean that I have a M/F pair?!

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
I caught one of them (Pumpkin) eating the floating reptomin last night. I really love them both but if at least one of them survives, then I'll be happy. Soon after I watched Pumpkin eat, I caught him/her trying to do the mating dance with Herbie... does this mean that I have a M/F pair?!

I have no idea if that means they are male and female, there are youtube videos I have seen with two young turtles that do the tickle-me-elmo dance with each other, it's super cute. :p

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Well, they are just babies, correct? No longer than a few inches? Then it's way too early to tell if you have M/F pair, and ,my guess is you've got some bullying going on! Turtles and torts are never too young to start bullying each other, and 'the mating dance' (aka, head bobbing, circling) can also be aggression. They are too young to mate, so the 'male' was displaying aggression... have you seen both turtles eating and basking? Or just one? Turtle aggression (HA, so can torts) can get nasty and brutal, especially when they're older, and the best thing you can do is separate them early before it gets 'serious'!

Smile

5 Year Member
Well, they are just babies, correct? No longer than a few inches? Then it's way too early to tell if you have M/F pair, and ,my guess is you've got some bullying going on! Turtles and torts are never too young to start bullying each other, and 'the mating dance' (aka, head bobbing, circling) can also be aggression. They are too young to mate, so the 'male' was displaying aggression... have you seen both turtles eating and basking? Or just one? Turtle aggression (HA, so can torts) can get nasty and brutal, especially when they're older, and the best thing you can do is separate them early before it gets 'serious'!
Yes, they're just babies no older than about 2-3 months old. I think there was some biting going on, but not sure if Herbie (turtle that doesn't eat much) was biting at Pumpkin (turtle that I occasionally catch eating) or if it was eating the pellets that fell to the ground. Pumpkin was the one trying to do the mating dance with Herbie when Herbie was biting at something. What causes bullying and how can I stop it? They have plenty of food, plenty of space for swimming and stuff compared to what they had and their current size, and enough room for them to bask for hours a day. I can't afford another set up right now or know anyone willing to take care of one with an appropriate set up...

I haven't seen Pumpkin since yesterday morning (I think he's hiding under the basking rock) and Herbie is just swimming around right now. They're usually together all the time, whether it be basking, swimming, or taking a break at a certain spot in the tank.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yep. Just aggression :(
You could have the biggest tub ever, but they'll still run into each other, and either aggression, or mating (they are wayyy too young!) will occur, and sometimes even both, and right now because your babies are, well, babies, aggression will occur. There might be some days where they seem just fine and friendly, but, the way I see it, it'll always happen in the end :(
What you can do right now is offer two basking rocks. One for pumpkin, one for Herbie, and plenty of sight barriers and things to get away from each other in the water. I have two adult male painted turtles together, and they really couldn't care about each other, I think because of all the available options they have to avoid one another! Turtles are not social animals, and bullying usually just end up happening :(
Herbie has pushed Pumpkin away from the basking rock... currently, he's the dominant turtle! Which is where a second rock can be handy. Also, feed them apart from each other you know pumpkin (or even herbie) is getting enough.
I gotta ask, what are your plans for their future? If they are both females (few more years to tell! :D ) they'll be 10''+, and will most likely still have bullying issues, so unless they live somewhere large, you'll need two enclosures! :(
Taking care of adult res eared sliders is hard, and accommodating them is hard, especially sepretley :(

Smile

5 Year Member
Yep. Just aggression :(
You could have the biggest tub ever, but they'll still run into each other, and either aggression, or mating (they are wayyy too young!) will occur, and sometimes even both, and right now because your babies are, well, babies, aggression will occur. There might be some days where they seem just fine and friendly, but, the way I see it, it'll always happen in the end :(
What you can do right now is offer two basking rocks. One for pumpkin, one for Herbie, and plenty of sight barriers and things to get away from each other in the water. I have two adult male painted turtles together, and they really couldn't care about each other, I think because of all the available options they have to avoid one another! Turtles are not social animals, and bullying usually just end up happening :(
Herbie has pushed Pumpkin away from the basking rock... currently, he's the dominant turtle! Which is where a second rock can be handy. Also, feed them apart from each other you know pumpkin (or even herbie) is getting enough.
I gotta ask, what are your plans for their future? If they are both females (few more years to tell! :D ) they'll be 10''+, and will most likely still have bullying issues, so unless they live somewhere large, you'll need two enclosures! :(
Taking care of adult res eared sliders is hard, and accommodating them is hard, especially sepretley :(
My grandmother gave them both to me and asked me to raise them until they're bigger, then she'll take one of the two. They're able to bask on top of the big blue lid you see in the cage, but they never go there for some reason and always bask on top of each on the rock you see, although the light isn't under it so it's cooler there. Neither of them eat that much either, so I don't know what's causing the aggression.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
My grandmother gave them both to me and asked me to raise them until they're bigger, then she'll take one of the two. They're able to bask on top of the big blue lid you see in the cage, but they never go there for some reason and always bask on top of each on the rock you see, although the light isn't under it so it's cooler there. Neither of them eat that much either, so I don't know what's causing the aggression.
I'd guess because it's cooler :D Possible because it's bouncy?
That's a great offer! I hope it works out :)
It's just a natural response. It's just hardwired... they see an intruder, and a threat, while all you see is just a baby turtle.

Smile

5 Year Member
I'd guess because it's cooler :D Possible because it's bouncy?
That's a great offer! I hope it works out :)
It's just a natural response. It's just hardwired... they see an intruder, and a threat, while all you see is just a baby turtle.
Cooler as in 65 or so... which is what the water is also at. Wouldn't they prefer the much warmer spot under the lamp? I've tried putting them there but they just slide into the water in a few seconds. Hopefully they stop fighting soon... and here I was thinking they were just playing or being silly by doing the mating ritual at such a young age, haha.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yes, 65 is a little cool for basking! I haven't seen mine turtle intentionally bask somewhere colder unless they get too hot o_O

Smile

5 Year Member
Hello guys. I got them a 30 gallon tank today and set it up with a UVB hood light. I'm going to order an aquarium heater for them soon or look for one at the pet store, any recommendations? Preferably one that doesn't get too warm so that the minnows continue to thrive.

Smile

5 Year Member
Would a water heater be necessary if I can raise the temperature in my room?

Smile

5 Year Member
http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Heaters-Submersible-Aquarium-100-Watt/dp/B003C5TPF6/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1416286397&sr=1-1&keywords=aqueon water heater

These for turtles are good, you don't have to worry about them breaking/shattering like can happen with glass ones from strong turtles. :)
My tortoise recently passed away unfortunately, so I gave the turtles his MVB. I'm getting a dock for them this weekend and will post enclosure pictures for criticism from you guys! :)

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
I read about your baby tort. :(

Hopefully the baby turtles will do well but RES are indeed pretty darn hardy! Will look forward to pics of their setup. :)

Smile

5 Year Member
Hey everyone! It's been a long time since I've been here. Here are both of my RES, Herbie (lighter shell) and Pumpkin, 10 months after I first got them.

20150824_193529.jpg
20150824_193556.jpg

As you can see, they've about tripled in size since I've got them. I've started to feed them adult reptomin recently which makes their tank smell like sewage very fast, doesn't even last a week without going green. I've tried feeding them in a separate bucket but they won't eat unless they're inside their aquarium. Any tips on how I can get them to eat outside of their tank? I've thought about getting a crayfish or two so that they can eat any leftover parts of food that sink to the bottom and into the rocks, but would like so input on this first.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Wow, they got big! You little babies are growing up so fast :p
Reptomin is really crummy, even without being fed to RES. What kind of filtration system have you got going on?
I don't feed my turtles outside of their tank, I usually just siphon out any debris, but I will make a tiny recommendation :)
http://www.petco.com/N_69_92_4294945110/Turtle-Food.aspx
This stuff is AMAZING. For small turtles, anyway, because it doesn't last long for big adult sliders, but there is virtually no sediment to clean up later, and it's keeping my painted turtles shells nice and smooth-shedding.
I like Herbie's coloring, by the way. He very pretty.

Smile

5 Year Member
Wow, they got big! You little babies are growing up so fast :p
Reptomin is really crummy, even without being fed to RES. What kind of filtration system have you got going on?
I don't feed my turtles outside of their tank, I usually just siphon out any debris, but I will make a tiny recommendation :)
http://www.petco.com/N_69_92_4294945110/Turtle-Food.aspx
This stuff is AMAZING. For small turtles, anyway, because it doesn't last long for big adult sliders, but there is virtually no sediment to clean up later, and it's keeping my painted turtles shells nice and smooth-shedding.
I like Herbie's coloring, by the way. He very pretty.
I took out my filter almost a year ago to see if it was what was causing Herbie to not eat and what do you know, as soon as I remove it, Herbie starts eating! Since then I've just stuck with cleaning out the entire aquarium every week or so and so far everything's been good. I will look out for that food tomorrow when I head to the pet store for minnows and thanks! it used to be darker when I first got both of them. :)
Get some ghost shrimp. Great clean up crew.
Do you know if every pet store carries them? I'm not sure if I've ever seen these anywhere, although I have seen various colors of crayfish at every pet store I go to. I would have to ask one of the workers there, thank you!