Understanding Light and Temps for a newbie.

Themessfits

Location (City and/or State)
nj
This is similar to being in the aquatics hobby but, This is my first reptile EVER.

Im starting to price point and just get familiar with the items that i would need. Im picking up cypress mulch and some terracotta plates for his (food/water). I might just buy a humid hid from a store instead of making it. I have a tub and some cages to choose from ( I do have an old rabbit cage that was expensive and was wondering if that would work?) I will post a picture of that cage.

A local lumber yard sets out free scrap wood that i can use to make a table with and outdoor enclosure. I am also, priced some wire to use for the top. As well as a heat gun for the temp.

Im in no rush to get a tortoise and starting to gather my items. However, Lighting and Temps are a little but intimidating and I want the best for the future tort :)

A2BD3317-CB0F-4719-A42F-11C232469CD1.jpeg

Themessfits

nj
Its the X-large cage

Attachments

• 30E82501-3DC5-4B22-92F7-430017996E3A.png
    30E82501-3DC5-4B22-92F7-430017996E3A.png
    666.2 KB · Views: 4

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
First: Get out of the pet store. You'll get bad info and potentially dangerous/wrong products.

Second: The cage you linked is too small for anything but a tiny hatchling. Tortoises need a lot of room to roam in their enclosures. Never on the floor or loose in the yard, unless the whole yard has been made into a safe tortoise enclosure.

Here are my thoughts on lighting. You might only need one of these, or you might need all four.
There are four elements to heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt floods from the hardware store. I run them on a timer for 12 hours and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. You can mount a fixture on the ceiling, or hang a dome lamp from the ceiling. Go lower or higher wattage if this makes the enclosure too hot or not warm enough. Do not use "spot" bulbs, mercury vapor bulbs or halogen bulbs.
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. Unless your house gets unusually cold at night, you can skip this step for a DT. Night lows above 60 require no night heat for DT species.
  3. Light. I use florescent tubes for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most tubes at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. I've been using LEDs lately and they are great, and run cooler than a florescent. This can be set on the same timer as the basking bulb. If your tortoises room is already adequately lit, you don't need this one either.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside in a safe secure enclosure for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. It helps to have a UV meter to test and see what your bulb is actually putting out at your mounting height. Plexi-glass or screen tops will filter out some or all of the UV produced by your bulb.
What species are you interested in? This will dictate what type of enclosure and conditions you'll need.

There is some good general info in here:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Themessfits

nj
Thank you for all this information! I truly appreciate it and coming from a farm animal background. I understand the importance of escape proof. I was interested in getting a Russian Tortoise. But, might be leaning towards a Hermanns now.
Im just going to build my own enclosure and donate those cages to a rescue instead.

I do live on the east coast and the weather is cooling down a bit. So, what would you recommend , my room usually stays above the 60s in the winter. Which is where the tortoise would be staying.
First: Get out of the pet store. You'll get bad info and potentially dangerous/wrong products.

Second: The cage you linked is too small for anything but a tiny hatchling. Tortoises need a lot of room to roam in their enclosures. Never on the floor or loose in the yard, unless the whole yard has been made into a safe tortoise enclosure.

Here are my thoughts on lighting. You might only need one of these, or you might need all four.
There are four elements to heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt floods from the hardware store. I run them on a timer for 12 hours and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. You can mount a fixture on the ceiling, or hang a dome lamp from the ceiling. Go lower or higher wattage if this makes the enclosure too hot or not warm enough. Do not use "spot" bulbs, mercury vapor bulbs or halogen bulbs.
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. Unless your house gets unusually cold at night, you can skip this step for a DT. Night lows above 60 require no night heat for DT species.
  3. Light. I use florescent tubes for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most tubes at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. I've been using LEDs lately and they are great, and run cooler than a florescent. This can be set on the same timer as the basking bulb. If your tortoises room is already adequately lit, you don't need this one either.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside in a safe secure enclosure for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. It helps to have a UV meter to test and see what your bulb is actually putting out at your mounting height. Plexi-glass or screen tops will filter out some or all of the UV produced by your bulb.
What species are you interested in? This will dictate what type of enclosure and conditions you'll need.

There is some good general info in here:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for all this information! I truly appreciate it and coming from a farm animal background. I understand the importance of escape proof. I was interested in getting a Russian Tortoise. But, might be leaning towards a Hermanns now.
Im just going to build my own enclosure and donate those cages to a rescue instead.

I do live on the east coast and the weather is cooling down a bit. So, what would you recommend , my room usually stays above the 60s in the winter. Which is where the tortoise would be staying.
Unfortunately the pics are gone, but this care info will be good for any Testudo species:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/