Underground hide question

Clementine's Keeper

Location (City and/or State)
Houston, Texas
I'm planning to start building an outdoor enclosure for my 1 year old so she can enjoy being outside during the day. I want to set it up so that eventually she can be outside for most of the year (we live in Houston, Texas). I'm using a disused 9 foot by 3 foot raised vegetable plot and will make a secure covered frame to go over the top.
Does anyone have any ideas for a partially buried hide? There is partial shade during the day and i will include ground shade for her but i want to ensure she can escape the sun when it's hot and eventually have somewhere to sleep at night but what she needs. Should I simply make sure the enclosure is deep enough for her to dig her own space or provide something underground that's pre made? I do plan on digging down and lining.
Its too cold to leave her outside permanently (we do get the odd frost) but should I provide a heat source for outside and how is that done - a heat pad above ground, underground, or an above ground hide with a pad? Any tips gratefully recieved. Thanks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
We’ve got a night box also and it gets a lot of use in the spring. We used Tom’s basic plan; ours is above ground with a ramp that closes so she can come in and out as she wants. Because I’m a bit (haha) obsessive, my husband made it so the top of the box can be opened up and I can check on her at night.

Our tortoise does have a burrow she’s dug herself; my husband stabilized it with concrete under the dirt. She uses that in the summer until we close it up as she tries to hibernate in there.

Our box is in full shade so despite being above ground it’s never gotten above 85 degrees. It’s not as hot as Houston though! Be sure to check the temps in whatever you build as Tom says.

Clementine's Keeper

Houston, Texas
Here is what I worked out:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/semi-underground-russian-box.98590/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/heating-an-outdoor-russian-night-box.116180/#post-1077261

More ideas here:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

What ever you decide to do, check the temps in the hide with a thermometer during the hottest times to make sure it is staying cooler down there.
Thank you. This is all very helpful. I'm going to start with getting it set up for the warm weather, including building/digging her an insulated hide, so I can leave her out during the day until she's a little bigger. That will give me time to work on something heated for the cooler weather. I'll be sure to post pictures. She's been outside all day today and is the most active she's been!

Clementine's Keeper

Houston, Texas
We’ve got a night box also and it gets a lot of use in the spring. We used Tom’s basic plan; ours is above ground with a ramp that closes so she can come in and out as she wants. Because I’m a bit (haha) obsessive, my husband made it so the top of the box can be opened up and I can check on her at night.

Our tortoise does have a burrow she’s dug herself; my husband stabilized it with concrete under the dirt. She uses that in the summer until we close it up as she tries to hibernate in there.

Our box is in full shade so despite being above ground it’s never gotten above 85 degrees. It’s not as hot as Houston though! Be sure to check the temps in whatever you build as Tom says.
Thanks. This will be a good project. I'm definately going to insulate and bury her hide. There's lots of shade over her enclosure but it sure does get hot here!