Uncooperative Sulcata!

motero

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Suprising, I know. How do I keep her head out to work on her beak?

Attachments

• 1417385964299.jpg
    1417385964299.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 52

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
She is around 70lbs, I have tried every thing i can think of and read all the posts I could find about trimming a beak, I have all the tools I could possible need. At this point is my only option the vet who can knock her out?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome to the world of sullies, they are stubborn sob's, but that is why we love them. You want to trim those fangs right? To do so you nneed to keep the head from retracting.On a smaller tortoise you would use 2 fingers and form a V, and place it behind the head, to keep it from retracting. In this case you will need to use your legs, and do the same. Then trim away, a dremel would def. be faster.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I've got a 120lb guy who needs a beak trim. I've tried to hold his head out while @mike taylor used the dremel tool. Even with two of us it was a failure. My vet told me not to worry about the fangs (unless he quits eating) that they would eventually break off.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Pretty sure I would go with Tortdad's vet advice. Good luck with that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Find a really rough piece of cement, a broken stepping stone, or whatever you can find that has a terribly rough surface. I use pieces of broken sidewalk and I use the underside. Feed him on that. After he's scraped his beak on the rough surface a few times those fangs will have smoothed off.

When Will Dremels my Manouria beaks, all we do is hold out a leg. It's not as easy as it sounds, as they have much, much strength in those legs. But I hold out a front leg with the tortoise balanced on the edge of the fence and Will sits in front of the tortoise and uses the Dremel. The head is in, but with the leg held out you can still reach the beak with the Dremel.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Tortdad your right most normal fangs do wear or break off. This is thicker and longer, she is struggling to eat any thing that requires a big bite.
I am going to tryout Yvonne's ideas, holding one leg out, and putting her food on some broken cinder block.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
About 4 months ago my 50 lb. sulcata was in need of a beak trim. Could not keep his head out and approach the beak with anything but my finger. His was long, just not as long or as rugged as your female. I was told to feed him cactus pads. So, I fed cactus pad on a piece of sidewalk, like Yvonne suggested. Mostly he grazes, but when I did feed produce I also put that on the piece of sidewalk. It has taken some time to wear it down, but now the beak is in great shape.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Uncooperative Sulcata! ! ! ! Of cause..........:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Who have a Sulcata that cooperatives?:D:D

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I've got a 120lb guy who needs a beak trim. I've tried to hold his head out while @mike taylor used the dremel tool. Even with two of us it was a failure. My vet told me not to worry about the fangs (unless he quits eating) that they would eventually break off.
His vampire fangs are awesome though. Hahaha