Unboxing the Baby Boxie!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
S/he's here! Sooooooo teeny tiny!!!! I'm glad we didn't give it to the little boy... just way too small.

Thanks, FedEx, for keeping the box right-side-up!
photo(13).JPG

Where is it??????
photo(8).JPG

There s/he is!!!!
photo(7).JPG

"Here I am! OK, put me down."
photo(9).JPG

"Mom says I need to rehydrate after the journey..."
photo(10).JPG

"And warm up a little..."
photo(11).JPG

"I love sitting in my new water dish. I'm not sure about these rocks, but I'm so little, mom is scared I might drown or have trouble getting out."
photo(12).JPG

"Thanks jtrux for getting me to my new home!" :tort:

Why on earth are some of my photos sideways and others are fine???

Last edited by a moderator:

jtrux

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
That's awesome! It makes me feel good to know that he is in a very good home. His previous owners just didn't cut it as far as i'm concerned. I expect to see updates!

Time to update your signature!

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
jtrux said:
Hows he doing?

Seems to be doing well, but pretty much just wants to stay buried all the time. Even though I have his lights set for long days, I'm starting to think he might be trying to hibernate on me. I wonder if sitting in the totally dark shipping box for 18 hours switched on the hibernating mode in his brain, or maybe he's just trying to be extra safe because he's the size of a freaking quarter. :rolleyes: Who knows, maybe he jumps out as soon as I leave and thinks, "Whew, that was close! The monster almost got me." :p

Either way, he's very nice, and we love him already. I'll post more pics next time I catch him walking around. :)

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Lucky you have all kind of species available for purchase. We hardly ever have baby boxy here :)

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
That's all they do is hide when they're that small. Mine are about 7 months old and they are just now poking their heads out of the substrate. Most importantly, keep him well hydrated.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
mchong9606 said:
That's all they do is hide when they're that small. Mine are about 7 months old and they are just now poking their heads out of the substrate. Most importantly, keep him well hydrated.

He seems annoyed with how hydrated I'm keeping him, lol.

I recently put a little container plant in his living space, and he now hangs out under that most of the day instead of burying in the substrate. That makes me feel a lot better, so I can at least see that he's not hibernating, and is getting some sunlight. :) I seriously can't get over how itty bitty he is; it cracks me up. It also makes me understand why he hides so much. Out in the real world, he could be a tasty morsel for a wild animal in a heartbeat...

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Yea I had to dig him out when it was time to eat, I wanted to make sure he was getting plenty of food before his trip. Does he soak in his water? I had a muddy area right under the heat lamp and he stayed right there 24/7.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
jtrux said:
Yea I had to dig him out when it was time to eat, I wanted to make sure he was getting plenty of food before his trip. Does he soak in his water? I had a muddy area right under the heat lamp and he stayed right there 24/7.

I put him in his water once a day and he sits there for a long time. He also goes in in it by himself. And, now that the plant is in there, the soil around it is usually a little muddy or at least moist, so he likes to hang out there. I've tried to recreate little micro-climates in his enclosure so he can choose where he needs to be. I put his little basking light on the dry side because he doesn't use it very often. He'll sit under it for a couple minutes to warm up and then go back under the plant. He's settling in nicely.

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
Congrats on your new baby boxies. They are such cute and fun turtles. So much personality!:tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.