Unable to view pictures

Urtle

5 Year Member
some/most of them say something about 3rd party... whats going on here?

thanks for the help.

waretrop

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NE Pa. Zone 5
Maybe your pic exceeds the size allowed....You may have to shrink it down with a program like "Paint" although I think I have posted pretty large pics here..

Most forums have a limit in pic sizes and if your uploading one that is too large some forums just don't let you do it and don't tell you why..

Sesel

Seychelles
Screenshot_2017-11-29-18-26-28.png

I think Urtle is referring to the above. I'm also curious.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's not us. In the past we found it easier to put our pictures up on Photobucket and then copy the

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, I've given you an extensive answer, but for some reason it won't post. Don't know if it's my computer or the automatic 'save' feature of the forum. Suffice it to say, the picture problem lies with Photobucket, not you.

Carl_Deschain

UK
Whoever uploaded the photo to photobucket has let their account lapse, so photobucket are no longer keeping the photo online. Pretty annoying when it happens on useful posts!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, almost all of my pictures in the plant i.d. thread are gone. I've put a few more back, but it's too big a job for one sitting.

Clunk

Photobucket changed their terms of service in June requiring users to pay $399/year for third party image hosting. Linking to any images hosted on Photobucket will produce this error message unless you pay:

QlinkBar.gif

Read this:

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/intern...ing-your-amazon-ebay-listings-pricier-n779781

So looks like you'll have to avoid Photobucket for now and use a different image hoster. I currently use http://postimages.org for 3rd party image linking on forums such as this. They're free (for now) and work well on forums such as this. Here is a pic of my Clunk I just uploaded there and linked here:

DSCN0519.jpg

Melis

Maryland
Photobucket changed their terms of service in June requiring users to pay $399/year for third party image hosting. Linking to any images hosted on Photobucket will produce this error message unless you pay:

QlinkBar.gif

Read this:

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/intern...ing-your-amazon-ebay-listings-pricier-n779781

So looks like you'll have to avoid Photobucket for now and use a different image hoster. I currently use http://postimages.org for 3rd party image linking on forums such as this. They're free (for now) and work well on forums such as this. Here is a pic of my Clunk I just uploaded there and linked here:

DSCN0519.jpg
Is there a reason you use third party image linking instead of just posting the pic by uploading the file? (I'm not very tech savvy lol)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We just got in the habit, as the old forum set up wasn't picture posting friendly. When Josh changed the format to the way it is now, it became much easier to post pictures, but many of the existing pictures were already in photobucket.

Clunk

The main advantage to using a third party hoster is sharing. You can post the same picture to several forums simply by linking to it in your message. Think of it like uploading a video to Youtube - once you have the link you can share it with many websites.

The disadvantage to uploading a pic here as an attachment means only Tortoiseforum members who are logged in can see the pics (no linking/sharing with other sites). This method is very popular for those on mobile devices because there are fewer steps involved than uploading elsewhere.

Tortoiseforum's Gallery works similar to a third party hoster in that uploaded pics can be shared by linking to them in your messages here or other forums. You create an album, upload several pics then link to individual images or an entire album.

I don't know if it's possible to upload a pic to the Gallery from the app, maybe someone who is more familiar with the app can reply with instructions.

Clunk

We just got in the habit, as the old forum set up wasn't picture posting friendly. When Josh changed the format to the way it is now, it became much easier to post pictures, but many of the existing pictures were already in photobucket.

Yup Photobucket is now obsolete since Josh fixed the Gallery. Gallery photos can be linked/shared with Facebook, here in your messages, other forums etc. so bye bye Photobucket.

FYI those of you who have pictures on Photobucket can download them all to a ZIP file so you don't lose any of them.