Ugh, ANOTHER Northern Michigan Russian that needs a good home...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Kristina said:
Just picked her up... She is HUGE!!! More details and pics later... Might not be until Monday, don't be mad at me! :p
Rabble rabble rabble

tweeter

5 Year Member
NC
What a great way for her to start a new year!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
A few details... Overgrown beak and nails, got a trim before her welcome home soak ;) Definite chronic dehyddration and MBD. Her carapace scutes are "stuck together" at intervals, but her growth is symmetric. The space between her overgrown upper beak and lower beak was packed with sand. Seemed very happy to get a good long drink, lots of urates. He met me halfway with her, open box with a handfull of lettuce :(

She is over 6" but waaaaaay tooo light. Should be over 1000 grams, only just over 300 :(

I only have access to internet on my phone until the library opens Monday, but I'll get pics up then. She dwarfs Ananya, the big female we (me and TFO!) rescued two weeks ago.

tweeter

5 Year Member
NC
OMG, that poor thing. Makes you wonder how she's survived. How long had he had her, did he say? The sad thing is, he probably thought he was taking good care of her. Sigh.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
WOW! 300 grams??? That's awful! It's good Russians are so tough--I'm sure, in your capable hands, she'll make a quick turn around and do great for you. Congrats on the new addition! Can't wait for pics!!! :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Another large female? consider me officially jealous.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Kristina said:
A few details... Overgrown beak and nails, got a trim before her welcome home soak ;) Definite chronic dehyddration and MBD. Her carapace scutes are "stuck together" at intervals, but her growth is symmetric. The space between her overgrown upper beak and lower beak was packed with sand. Seemed very happy to get a good long drink, lots of urates. He met me halfway with her, open box with a handfull of lettuce :(

She is over 6" but waaaaaay tooo light. Should be over 1000 grams, only just over 300 :(

I only have access to internet on my phone until the library opens Monday, but I'll get pics up then. She dwarfs Ananya, the big female we (me and TFO!) rescued two weeks ago.

Worse off than the last two. Imagine wanting a good drink and soak all that time....

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
They said that they had her 6 years, and before that she belonged to a friend.

She had a nice big meal last night, and then sprawled out under the heat lamp. I swear she let out a big sigh ;)

I feel lucky that she ended up female, but I would have taken her regardless.

I think they did care, he told me that they had done some research online, but obviously it was not the best info that they found. Of course, we also know how much care has advanced in the last 6 years.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
dmmj said:
Another large female? consider me officially jealous.

Yeah...all we seem to get here on the west coast are males.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
"a big sigh"... That's terrific :) thank you for being her angel! Thanks for this update--- she's eating already-- not hiding, etc!!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
She isn't shy at all... Eating and basking freely. She also had no issue with me trimming her beak and nails last night. Her back feet are kind of curled from her nails being so long - I hope they straighten out. She also has some mobility issues with her back legs, another manifestation of the MBD. She had some Mazuri with Repashy HyD calcium for breakfast. She will be ready to rock in no time :)

The real angels are those that made it possible for me to save her. I just get the privelege of watching her blossom. As soon as I get a chancve to do a fecal she will get to go in with the others, I beieve she was alone as long as they say she was.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
Omg -- her day is getting better and better :) I wish I could help. It sounds like you've got it under complete control. You should video tape her as she meets her new roommates when the time is right. I'd love to see her doing well :)! Just being able to meet others could help her state of mind and get her to build up those back legs again!! I'm so happy to read this good news!! :)

tweeter

5 Year Member
NC
Wow, just wow! Fabulous update. Can't wait to see her in her new home. Thank you for saving her~

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I have a camera. I don't have internet. It is too time consuming and irritating to upload from my phone ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.