Type of light

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReptileManiac

5 Year Member
Hey everyone! I was wondering what kind of UVA/UVB bulb you all use! I have seen many things but I have NO idea. I am talking about a Russian Tortoise so if that narrows it down at all... What heat lamp do you recommend as well? I heard you could use a regular bulb but I just don't know. Thanks!:D

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...WELCOME

Yes, you can use regular household bulbs for heat. The wattage depends on how big your enclosure is and how far the light is from your tort. For UVB, I use ReptiSun 10 long fluorescent tube. Don't use ReptiGlo 10, any compacts, nor any coils. They have a history of causing health problems, including eye problems. The cheapest place to get them is from www.PetMountain.com. I think they have a sale on them right now...about $20. It is best to put the lights beside each other on one end of your enclosure so they get benefit from both at the same time.

Good luck
Patsy

Stazz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
I've ordered a 100w MVB light for my Tallula from U.S. - the mvb is great as its a combination heat lamp and UVB, so if you're willing to put in the extra $$$ which isn't too too much I think, its a great way to save electricity, space and money in the long run :)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I use the T-Rex MVB 100 watt it last 12 to 18 months I love this bulb.
I also use the ReptiSun 8 florecent bulb For my Greeks (only lasts about 6 months). A ceramic heat emitter 100 watt for heat (lasts well I have one that is 3 years old but most over a year if they are not moved much) that way it can be used at night as it puts off no light. Daytime a regular incandecent bulb (regular house bulb) works well with the florecent bulb.

Clementine_3

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Upstate NY
K9KidsLove said:
Don't use ReptiGlo 10, any compacts, nor any coils. They have a history of causing health problems, including eye problems.
Why not the ReptiGlo? I have not heard of any known issues with them? I have a ReptiGlo 10 that is almost a year old and is still putting out ample UVB (I have a meter). I have had zero trouble with that bulb.

The coils were supposedly fixed but I am with you there, I don't trust them yet.

The MVB is a good bulb as well, I have the T-Rex 100 watt and Turtle (my tort) seems to like it too.

Edit: I should clarify my question and statement...I use the ReptiGlo fluorescent bulb, not a compact/coil. They make both, perhaps you were referring to the compact/coils only and not the flo tubes?

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Is nobody using a metal halide lamp? I thought these were the latest thing. High output of UVA and UVB and little energy wasted creating heat. So that means heat has to come from somewhere else. Or there are the combined heat and UVB lamps that have external ballasts which means the bulb lasts longer.

There are a number of flourescent strip lights that produce colour rendition very close to nature. Check this out :
http://www.osram.com/_global/pdf/Pr...S010GB_BIOLUX_Lizards_will_enjoy_lounging.pdf

That strip light gives a very good broad spectrum for general light but its not a UV or heat source.

The combined heat and UVB self-ballasted lamps (T.Rex / MegaRay) work very well as a one-lamp solution and for those of us keeping it simple these are great. They do produce quite a lot of heat.

I use a halogen lamp for my hermanns but only for morning and evening light and heat effects. It produces no UVB at all but has a lovely glow and the tortoises like the gentle heat from it. I use that on a dimming thermostat to maintain a nice basking temperature.

M

Maggie Cummings

I use a Trex 260 watt bulb for Bob. Not so much for the UVB because he spends his days outside but I like it for the heat. Today it was 55 and raining most of the day that means he goes out until he gets cold then he comes back in to get warm and that light is really hot. I use a Reptisun 10.0 tube for some of my smaller torts and a Trex 100 watt for my Fat Nat and my box turtles get their Vit D thru their food. I don't have a UVB bulb on them at all...

Be careful not to use the coil bulbs even tho it is said they have been fixed, that bulb blinded one of my small Sulcata and killed another. It was a horrible time...

Clementine_3

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Upstate NY
duckyboy1975 said:
I've had my ReptiGlo 10 for almost three years now no problems.
It may still be lighting but, three years later, the UVB output is minimal if even at all. Not even a MVB will produce a lot of usable UV after three years. A florescent bulb (tube or coil) should be changed about every 6 months and MVB's about every year unless you have a meter and can monitor the output. Just because it turns on doesn't mean it's doing what it should ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.