Tying to eat stones

TortNZ

Location (City and/or State)
Christchurch
Hi
I have spotted Evo digging in her outside run and trying to eat little stones. Why would she be doing this? Is this normal or has she maybe a deficiency? The stones are so small that she could swallow them.
Any suggestions?

E31D31D9-10DE-4C3D-8BC0-3CB9EB0F3D5C.jpeg4AA96DF3-58C0-43F9-AC81-5528DF5C0A25.jpeg6A405AD0-EA9D-4DF9-957E-9E612A84F2CD.jpeg

TortNZ

Christchurch
Thanks fo getting back to me.
She is not touching the cuttlebone that she has in her enclosure so I’m giving her calcium and vit d3 daily sprinkled on her food or on a piece of cucumber.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Try Miner-All made by Sticky Tongue Farms. Your tortoise might be low in minerals. It comes with and without D3. My Desert Tortoises were eating dirt and I gave them Miner-All without D3 (Outdoor Formula) and it solved the problem of them eating dirt. I ordered my from LLLreptiles.com as they have it for a good price.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks fo getting back to me.
She is not touching the cuttlebone that she has in her enclosure so I’m giving her calcium and vit d3 daily sprinkled on her food or on a piece of cucumber.
Giving too much calcium causes a mineral imbalance. Calcium interferes with the absorption of other important nutrients and trace elements. Calcium should only be given in small amounts a couple times a week, and that is only if its needed. A good weedy leafy diet of "natural" stuff does not require any calcium supplementation. The only time I use calcium at all anymore is when a calcium deficient tortoise comes to me for rehab, and for egg laying females in the laying season.

The other thing that typically causes this behavior is feeding a lot of grocery store foods and lettuce with out adding enough fiber and amendments.

I would stop giving any calcium supplementation for at least a couple of weeks. The tortoise has its cuttlebone if it needs calcium. If you are feeding a lot of lettuce and other store bought greens, I'd try to find better, more natural stuff to add in when you can.

If you can get the MinerAll that Carol mentioned, that is a great way to go and it usually solves the problem. MinerAll is a balanced mineral supplement. It helps to balance out the imbalance.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
I just got a great shipment from Will with a multitude of delicious things that my leopard is devouring. You might try ordering something from him. My little leopard particularly likes the nettle.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Maybe she needs calcium, but doesn't like the cuttlebone? Mine have always had access to cuttlebone but recently I added eggshells and put it in the enclosure and they devoured it, not even touching the cuttlebone.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Maybe she needs calcium, but doesn't like the cuttlebone? Mine have always had access to cuttlebone but recently I added eggshells and put it in the enclosure and they devoured it, not even touching the cuttlebone.
He said in post #3 that he's giving the tortoise calcium every day.

TortNZ

Christchurch
Hi All

Thanks for all your comments and recommendations. This is why I joint this forum?

I will research the MinerAll but don’t know if I can get it here in NZ. Tortoises are rare over here so it is hard to find food and supplements for tortoises. Currently I’m giving Evo the Fulker’s calcium with vit d3.

Tom I will reduce it as you have suggested and give it to Evo every other day?

When I got Evo from the breeder she was only used to eating salad, corn and carrot. She does not like weeds and flowers. I’m growing a big selection for her but she will hardly eat any of it. So I have been ordering Komodo diet from the UK for her and mixing it in with weeds and flowers. She is happy eating the mix( pIx attached).

I have also ordered from the UK Nutrobal from Vetark (see pix) as my vet recommended it but she hates it so I mix it with the Komodo food. She gets a pinch of that once a week. I’m possibly giving her to much, how can I be for sure?
Annette ??

Attachments

• 98D4D02D-F94E-42FA-BA04-2C5C5F600422.jpeg
    98D4D02D-F94E-42FA-BA04-2C5C5F600422.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 56422A04-4D8C-488A-99FC-E6A2AC2698D0.jpeg
    56422A04-4D8C-488A-99FC-E6A2AC2698D0.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi All

Thanks for all your comments and recommendations. This is why I joint this forum?

I will research the MinerAll but don’t know if I can get it here in NZ. Tortoises are rare over here so it is hard to find food and supplements for tortoises. Currently I’m giving Evo the Fulker’s calcium with vit d3.

Tom I will reduce it as you have suggested and give it to Evo every other day?

When I got Evo from the breeder she was only used to eating salad, corn and carrot. She does not like weeds and flowers. I’m growing a big selection for her but she will hardly eat any of it. So I have been ordering Komodo diet from the UK for her and mixing it in with weeds and flowers. She is happy eating the mix( pIx attached).

I have also ordered from the UK Nutrobal from Vetark (see pix) as my vet recommended it but she hates it so I mix it with the Komodo food. She gets a pinch of that once a week. I’m possibly giving her to much, how can I be for sure?
Annette ??
Calcium every other day would be 3 or 4 times a week. This is way too much, and its a contributing factor to the rock eating problem. Once or twice a week is all you need, especially if cuttlebone is available.

Tortoises eat what they've eaten before. Any new food is likely to be rejected and will need a lengthy introduction period, even if its a good food. Shame the breeder didn't introduce better foods from the start, but your situation is common. Few breeders take the time and effort to introduce good foods. Use the crappy stuff that the breeder was feeding to introduce the new and better foods. Use a tiny tiny amount of any new food and chop it up super fine. Mix it in with the tortoise's old favorites. Gradually, over a period of weeks, you can up the ratio of new to old food and gradually get the tortoise switched over. It takes a lot of time. Hunger is your friend in this process. Don't feel sorry for a tortoise that ignores a giant pile of food that is right in front of it. It will eat when it is hungry.

TortNZ

Christchurch
Ok to the Calcium Tom. Will follow your instructions. Will also try to ween her of the supermarket food and report back.
If I can’t get the MinerAll would the Nutrobal from Vetark work instead?