Two Sulcatas: behavioral and shell issues, any advice?

jt14286

Location (City and/or State)
london
Hello, I am new to the forum
welcome.gif
I have joined to ask about other people's tortoises not mine. I recently moved in with them and have noticed some things about their tortoises that concern me - I don't know anything about tortoises or looking after them but I've read around on the forums so have a little idea but looking for more solid advice.

They are both Sulcatas 5 - 6ish years old. They had previous owner/s and that might have contributed to the problems below but I know these people have been their owners for a 3-4ish years now.

1) The female. She is less than half the size of the male. EVERY single day she spends literally the whole day half under the radiator. It must be horrible for her because she walks into it and bangs her shell against it (she can't fit completely underneath) pretty much all day which seems so distressing and she's clearly not getting exercise or anything, just in one spot. The house is very large she has loads of room but doesn't use it (they don't have an indoor container). I've wrapped a band material around her shell to protect it as it had some wear marks from this. I've tried putting her in other warm hidden areas around the house - she always immediately goes back to the same spot and walks into the radiator. Is the only reason that she is not warm enough? Outside of the winter they live in a big shed with heating lamps but during the winter they've kept them inside without these lamps. The house is normally always heated (I don't know what temperature I never wear a jumper) - has anyone got any ideas what I should tell their owners to do/ what I can do for her? Here's a photo with her temporary protection I put on:IMG_20180226_150909.jpg

2) The male is the size of a small dog. My question is - is his shell pyramiding? I think yes... apparently it was like this when he was taken on from the previous owners. Is the answer more calcium and hydration? I read they should be fed loads of grass - 80%+ - and I know they are fed mainly leafy groceries... so - new diet & daily soaking/ baths or..?!?
IMG_20180226_150845.jpg

I feel so bad for these tortoises they're not even my pets!!! And I'm worried if I come at their owners with a list of like "Here are 270 things you need to now do and buy for your tortoises" they'll do nothing - - so all and any advice HUGELY appreciated. I'll probably start with the essential changes and work at it from there. Thank you so much.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Wow, don’t even know where to start here! We have a salcata specific section. Go there and read the stickies at the top. Everything is wrong with this. @Tom @Yvonne G .
Please help this person.
I don’t raise salcatas but have directed someone that does to you. Good luck.

jt14286

london
Thank you so much Cheryl!! I really appreciate it. Yeah the reason I'm on here is because I'm so worried about them. I've started bathing them lots and giving them grass after having read around on this forum - but I only recently moved in and I feel like I need to do more. the girl's behaviour isn't changing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises need a dedicated area designed to fit their needs. Roaming around in the house isn't such an area. The reason your friends' tortoise is trying to get under the radiator is because being out in the open in the house, she can't get warmed up enough. She's trying to get closer to the heat in order to get her core temperature up where she can digest food.

If the tortoises can't be set up outside where they can dig in the dirt, sit in the sun, etc, then they need to set up an area indoors that is like what they have outside. . . an artificial sun they can sit under to warm up (UVB light), dirt to dig in, a couple hiding places, plants to either eat or hide in, etc. and plenty of room to walk around and get exercise. If they can't provide this because of where they live and the weather situation, then they should have never bought this type of tortoise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is this is the tortoises house and not the human house, then they need better flooring like dirt and uvb lights to bask under to heat up to 95-100. Grocery greens are usually fed by a lot of people that live in colder climates. However, cactus, hay and mazuri tortoise diet are items that should be added. They both are pyramided, probably started from hatchling size. They aren't too bad for how they are being housed. They also need to be housed separately as the male will pester the female to illness or death. Also another reason why she may be so shy and trying to hide.
The most important changes first would be to separate them and get them some uvb basking areas.
Then work on the rest as you can.
Good luck and thank you for caring.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
This is so sad. I'm glad you are trying to help these poor tortoises. The baths are good. It is important to provide them with more heat. Is there room to make a separate enclosure for each tortoise?

jt14286

london
Thank you all so so much. I highlighted some of the main concerns to the owner and it was met with much defensiveness and anger unfortunately but I've just sent your responses directly, and your care info @Tom, onto them now. Hopefully it's taken on board! Starting to bathe them more often & introduce grass into their diet myself. Have put up a heat lamp in the room they live in. Will keep at it <3.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you all so so much. I highlighted some of the main concerns to the owner and it was met with much defensiveness and anger unfortunately but I've just sent your responses directly, and your care info @Tom, onto them now. Hopefully it's taken on board! Starting to bathe them more often & introduce grass into their diet myself. Have put up a heat lamp in the room they live in. Will keep at it <3.

Good for you!

The response you got is pretty normal. I have been the recipient of that sort of ire MANY MANY times over the years, sad to say. Most people come around in time. I find it helps to point out your motivations in bringing it up. You don't want to argue or make them mad, you just care about the well being of these tropical animals and want the best for them, and you've discovered info that could be helpful with that goal.

iou

ca
Your in good hands with the people above, nothing I could say or add to these guys as they are hands downsome of the best people you could consult on the internet and more than likely in the real world as well. Whatever they say, if you apply it properly, You will undoubtedly see some amzing resulkts in no time.

Now the real reason I weanted to chime in is to say thank you for taking an interest in these two Sulcata's. Its people like you that make this world a better place. You give myself and I'm sure others hope. It is truely refreshing & awesome to see you take time and resources to ensure that these guys get the appropriate care and are happy. Thanks for being an awesome person! The world needs more like you myfriend. I wish you and the two torts nothing but the Best in the coming weeks. Good luck to you!

**Please keep us updated, I think seeing positive turnarounds and positive outcomes when you provide the proper care and envirnment to a distressed Sulcata (or any createu) help motivate people and remind them to not give up. **