Two more crazy reptile-lovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura Currado

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oakland County, MI
Good afternoon, all.

I guess I'm supposed to introduce myself and the menagerie here. Name is Laura, married to Erik, and we currently have 13 reptiles, not including the eggs in the incubator.
For the two of us, it started with a pair of rescued Bearded Dragons, which through a crazy twist of fate, we've come to know one of their original owners and have learned the male is from a now-extinct bloodline...which in Beardie terms means nothing. But extinct no longer; they're the ones providing us with the eggs.
After that was a stowaway house gecko who came by way of new luggage shipped up from a Saks Fifth Avenue in New Mexico (of all places) and was to small to sell legally, so we got him for free.
Our 2-year old Sulcata was obtained that day also, from the same pet store. Sig was bedded down on mulch and fed Romaine. We're working to correct what that resulted in. His ditzy, blonde disposition we're also hoping he'll outgrow.
The two Mali male Uromastyx and one Saharan female Uromastyx were next (would you believe a male and the female bred and produced hatchlings?! Twice!), followed by a CraigsList rescue, the "4 year-old Sulcata" for $25. She turned out to not be a Sulcata but a Hermanns, necessitating yet another giant sandbox (they're not really in sand...) and another animal conditioned to a very crappy diet.
Then came the male Panther chameleon, and the male Veiled chameleon, then the Jackson pair of chameleons (purchase, rescue, trade respectively).
Last is our newest Hermanns...a male. Both Hermanns are actually posted over in the Hermanns section as Erik and I are stumped over whether they're Dalmation or Eastern Hermanns.

This largely desert-menagerie lives with us just north of Detroit, a terrible climate for most of them and our 70+ cacti and succulents. We really need to move southwest and plant a large garden with deep fences. Or buy the Belle Isle Conservatory from the idiotic city of Detroit and throw everybody in there...

Great to be here. While the chameleons are more my husband's style, the tortoises charm me endlessly! And so while the chameleons won't live more than 4 or 5 years, the tortoises, well-cared for, will have 8 to 15 decades on the them. So I need all the help I can get making sure they get there.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Which tortoise is your favorite?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) love your crew. I also have a Uro and hooding to get a chameleon soon. Had the Beardie, but he died. Wouldn't mind seeing pics of all of them. Hope you enjoy your visits here.

Laura Currado

5 Year Member
Oakland County, MI
Jacqui said:
Hi and welcome! Which tortoise is your favorite?

Jacqui: I can't really say which tortoise is my favorite. The male Hermanns, Henry, is too new to even know his personality. Sig, the Sulcata, is incredibly oblivious to everything but himself and the vacuum (which he hates). He reminds me of that stereotypical, dumb surfer dude. I take him outside and have to literally walk around with him to make sure he doesn't eat something he isn't supposed to. He ignores the grasses, clover, dandelion, wild carrot, etc. and goes for the toxic Euphorbia, dog hair, bits of paper, vermiculite, blown-in cigarette butts, and so on. It wasn't until I tried prying a tiny pebble from his tiny mouth that I realized how stubborn and single-minded tortoises are. Little snot swallowed that pebble and I held my breath for a month thinking he might drop dead at any moment!

The female Hermann, Gretchen, is pretty endearing, however, and smart. My husband trained her to come to him just by scratching a rock in her table. Being an accidental-aquisition, we actually tried rehoming her three separate times, even talking to a gentleman at a reptile show who has this amazing-sounding tortoise set-up. He would have placed her in a breeding colony, but the more we talked about getting rid of her the more I resisted. In the end, we broke-down and traded in our chichlid tank. Of the two, the fish were far more work. And while Sig taught me how mule-headed tortoises can be, Gretchen taught me how comical.

ColorfulTortoise

5 Year Member
New England
Welcome!!! I know what it's like to be addicted to reptiles. I have five cornsnakes, four ball pythons, two lizards, one tortoise, a dart frog, not to mention one of other pets. Thats great of you to rescue all those pets! :)

I forgot about the boa constrictor :D

Status
Not open for further replies.