Two females nesting at the same time and that's not even the cool part

Sterant

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Albany, NY
The attached picture (blurry sorry.....its a picture of my monitor showing my security camera image) shows 2 of my angulated tortoises nesting. Having both of them nest at the same time is pretty cool, but it gets better. The female on the left nested 4 days ago! The research on this species says 23 days is the minimum time between clutches which I have experienced a few times. This species has been known to oviposit 2 eggs at once, so this must be a double clutch with a few days in between.

Awesome.

Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 2.32.43 PM.png

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
The attached picture (blurry sorry.....its a picture of my monitor showing my security camera image) shows 2 of my angulated tortoises nesting. Having both of them nest at the same time is pretty cool, but it gets better. The female on the left nested 4 days ago! The research on this species says 23 days is the minimum time between clutches which I have experienced a few times. This species has been known to oviposit 2 eggs at once, so this must be a double clutch with a few days in between.

Awesome.

View attachment 248144
That is fantastic news. Congratulations. It does seem that they can lay within a few days of each other. Remember my female deposited an egg above ground early this year, I posted the question about it as I was confused why she would dig a nest and then lay her egg out of the nest. The next day she laid another egg in the nest for that one. I thought that it was just an anomoly, but maybe not considering yours have done the same. I am definitly looking forward to the updates.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
That is fantastic news. Congratulations. It does seem that they can lay within a few days of each other. Remember my female deposited an egg above ground early this year, I posted the question about it as I was confused why she would dig a nest and then lay her egg out of the nest. The next day she laid another egg in the nest for that one. I thought that it was just an anomoly, but maybe not considering yours have done the same. I am definitly looking forward to the updates.
Yes Carol - Now I remember that post of yours. Seems my female is going through the same thing. Very interesting stuff for sure. As is normal, both of my females abandoned the first nest yesterday, so I would suspect they will pick up the digging early this afternoon. I will keep you updated.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Nice! They did the nesting so close to each other. I wouldn't think they would do that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm just saying right here and now, I call "dibs" on any babies produced that go up for sale! I've got brand new AP cages sitting at the ready for them. The new cage will sit empty, waiting for its first CB bowsprit… Waiting and waiting and waiting...

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I'm just saying right here and now, I call "dibs" on any babies produced that go up for sale! I've got brand new AP cages sitting at the ready for them. The new cage will sit empty, waiting for its first CB bowsprit… Waiting and waiting and waiting...
LOL Tom, You have alot of patience.

Reactions: Tom

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
You got it buddy

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Nice! They did the nesting so close to each other. I wouldn't think they would do that.
Its actually a bit of a problem. I had to separate them today because they were constantly interrupting each other. It was never a problem before, but they never nested at the same time before. When one starts, the other wants to nest in that same spot, disturbing the first one.....so the second one starts in that same spot then the first one comes back and starts the whole thing all over again. I split them up today !

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Its actually a bit of a problem. I had to separate them today because they were constantly interrupting each other. It was never a problem before, but they never nested at the same time before. When one starts, the other wants to nest in that same spot, disturbing the first one.....so the second one starts in that same spot then the first one comes back and starts the whole thing all over again. I split them up today !
Figures it wouldn't work out as nicely as it looked.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Oh dear.