Two Clutches of Specki

kingsley

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I was Pleasantly surprised today to witness two specki females nest. One two eggs and the other three eggs. I am cooling them around 65-68 F for 4 weeks before incubation. I am open to any suggestions and opinions/ feedback please.

JThompson

I was Pleasantly surprised today to witness two specki females nest. One two eggs and the other three eggs. I am cooling them around 65-68 F for 4 weeks before incubation. I am open to any suggestions and opinions/ feedback please.

I have had success hatching spekii this year with the following method. Just had more hatch yesterday that were laid at the end of March 2018. No diapause necessary in my experience.

Medium is peat, coco husk and organic soil mix. Keep fairly dry. I bury my eggs 3 inches down in it and mist the top monthly. The eggs dont get wet but the top does. Temps range from 72-85 and I have had success hatching this way.

Good luck! What other Kinixys are you working with?

kingsley

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Thanks, Ill give it a try. I am down to just a good size group of specki, Used to have Bells .

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I have had success hatching spekii this year with the following method. Just had more hatch yesterday that were laid at the end of March 2018. No diapause necessary in my experience.

Medium is peat, coco husk and organic soil mix. Keep fairly dry. I bury my eggs 3 inches down in it and mist the top monthly. The eggs dont get wet but the top does. Temps range from 72-85 and I have had success hatching this way.

Good luck! What other Kinixys are you working with?
And yet another recipe.

I found some mostly formed dead in the egg shell babies from my spekii, laid last fall. I think a heat spike in the incubator to over 100F nailed them.

I had them in my DIY Hatchrite hack. https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchrite-hack.155714/#post-1485364