Two Antibiotics At Once?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Thanks for asking!

It's been a rough day, actually. We're just on our way back from the vet now. I noticed his back leg was swollen this morning, and I automatically assumed the worst -liver or kidney failure...I kind of thought we were making our final trip to the vet :-(

But the vet was still optimistic. The swelling could be unrelated to organ failure... The fact that he hasn't moved at all in 1 1/2 months could be reason enough, I guess. So he got some fluids and we're to just keep doing what we're doing... Hopefully he continues with little steps forward because today nearly have me a heart attack!
So sorry to hear you had a rough day. I don't know if you followed Zeropilot's thread on Big Bertha (his redfoot) who was sick for a looooong time and at one point she even looked dead. Well, Bertha has made a great recovery, but Ed was persistent like you in his efforts to care for her and save her. Hang in there. Be prepared for the worst but hope for the best outcome. Hope is beautiful and much needed. I hear all the time how resilient torts are. Hugs❤️

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
So sorry to hear you had a rough day. I don't know if you followed Zeropilot's thread on Big Bertha (his redfoot) who was sick for a looooong time and at one point she even looked dead. Well, Bertha has made a great recovery, but Ed was persistent like you in his efforts to care for her and save her. Hang in there. Be prepared for the worst but hope for the best outcome. Hope is beautiful and much needed. I hear all the time how resilient torts are. Hugs❤️
That means so much, thank you!! :)

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
HE ATE!! HE ATE! HE ATE!!!!!!

During our terrible trip to the vet yesterday, he got a shot if vitamin B to get his appetite going... Well, I guess it worked!

A picture can't express months of worry and sleepless nights, but it's still the most beautiful picture I've ever taken <3
1455749726290.jpg

Pearly

5 Year Member
HE ATE!! HE ATE! HE ATE!!!!!!

During our terrible trip to the vet yesterday, he got a shot if vitamin B to get his appetite going... Well, I guess it worked!

A picture can't express months of worry and sleepless nights, but it's still the most beautiful picture I've ever taken <3
View attachment 165420
Awwww! So happy for you! I know the relief in your heart! Let's pray we keep the momentum going

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Dante has continued to eat every day and today he pooped!! Gloriously stinky poop!

Now that we have a fully functioning tortoise, we can focus on getting him back up and moving around, since he's been stationary for 2 months, and hope that the infection doesn't rebound!

So crazy... Tuesday I thought we would have to put him down and today, 4 days later, we are so far from that!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Dante has continued to eat every day and today he pooped!! Gloriously stinky poop!

Now that we have a fully functioning tortoise, we can focus on getting him back up and moving around, since he's been stationary for 2 months, and hope that the infection doesn't rebound!

So crazy... Tuesday I thought we would have to put him down and today, 4 days later, we are so far from that!
Yeay!!!! Poopoo!!!! So happy!!!!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Today Dante opened his eyes all on his own when his light came on (lately, if he opened them, it was only when we poked him with needles etc). I haven't seen this handsome face in a couple months!

View attachment 166053

Dante is holding steady so far. His little appetite dropped off a bit 2 days after the vit. B shot, but he still nibbles here and there and eats a little more everyday. We decided to continue feeding his formula to keep his energy up and progress moving forward. He's been moving his legs around more but is definitely not ready to stand up and walk around yet. Hopefully soon! Gotta get his strength back up.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Today Dante opened his eyes all on his own when his light came on (lately, if he opened them, it was only when we poked him with needles etc). I haven't seen this handsome face in a couple months!

View attachment 166053

Dante is holding steady so far. His little appetite dropped off a bit 2 days after the vit. B shot, but he still nibbles here and there and eats a little more everyday. We decided to continue feeding his formula to keep his energy up and progress moving forward. He's been moving his legs around more but is definitely not ready to stand up and walk around yet. Hopefully soon! Gotta get his strength back up.
I've been waiting for you to post something like that! Awesome!!!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Well we quietly and successfully passed by the one month mark of being off antibiotics!!! So far Dante's appetite is holding steady!

Until yesterday, he hadn't pooped since Feb. 20th, which was basically diarrhea and just leftovers from what he ate in January before he stopped eating. Yesterday, he finally had the biggest poo of his life. Now his eyes are open and he's showing signs of wanting to move around on his poor, neglected legs. I was so happy to see his beautiful, clear eyes greet me this morning!!
1457712533991.jpg

Happy Friday :)

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Well, we had a bit of a set back this week. Thursday morning Dante had fluid in his nose and his breathing sounded wet, so we got him into the vet this morning.

The really good news is that A) he's put on weight and B) his blood sample showed no extra white blood cells or background viral infection.... Which also left us with a mystery. An X-ray was a bit inconclusive as his lungs are fairly scarred from this pneumonia and it's hard to tell scarring from infection. The theory is that he is once again relapsing (the last relapse also took place around 5 weeks after treatment ended), but I caught it early enough that his body hasn't worked up extra white blood cells yet.

So this time around the vet has ceftazidime (fortaz?), which he didn't have last time because it's backlogged and hard to get. On the culture we did back in January, the bacteria were sensitive to this antibiotic, so hopefully this antibiotic #4 will do the trick.... Dante's had 5 1/2 weeks off from being poked, but here we go again :-/

Here's a picture of the vet doing the blood test. This vet operates in conjunction with a wild life hospital and is very kid-oriented, so he makes everything a learning experience. I love being able to see the blood work and x-rays and everything that goes on.
1458423627511.jpg

Despite his traumatizing day, Dante still has a great appetite tonight :) Watching him eat never gets old.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
He's still sick :-/

We got through one month of Fortaz and then last weekend his breathing started sounding really wet again and he stopped eating. All the little progressive steps forward we made just disappeared. It was absolutely heartbreaking because I thought we were finally making progress...

Yesterday we added Baytril via nebulizer to his regime. So currently he's getting Fortaz injections and nebulized Baytril.

I'm getting pretty worried... We just can't seem to kick these pseudomona bacteria out of him, and there's only so many antibiotic treatments we can try and only so much his body can handle.

But...Dante hasn't given up yet so we won't either. We've gotten him through Winter, and now that it's Spring we can finally get him outside into real sunshine and fresh air, and that's the best medicine of all!

Kori5

I'm so sorry to hear that. But you know what they say. It takes a long time for them to heal as their system is so slow. Don't give up on him. It may not seem that way, but they are really taugh :). Maybe try some baby carrot soaks for his appetite? I think sunshine will help. Just keep him warm.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I'm so sorry to hear that. But you know what they say. It takes a long time for them to heal as their system is so slow. Don't give up on him. It may not seem that way, but they are really taugh :). Maybe try some baby carrot soaks for his appetite? I think sunshine will help. Just keep him warm.

Thank you! :) Yes, it's very hard and time-consuming, but we're not giving up!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Omg! I had lost sight of your thread and feeling bitter-sweet now, bcs I found it again and Dante is hanging on but hate to hear you've had such a rough ride. I think I should have a word with St. Francis (patron Saint of animals) and ask him for intercession here... Ahhh... My heart just aches for you so, and that poor baby Dante!!! Sending you good joojoo and healing thoughts along with warmest hugs❤️

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Omg! I had lost sight of your thread and feeling bitter-sweet now, bcs I found it again and Dante is hanging on but hate to hear you've had such a rough ride. I think I should have a word with St. Francis (patron Saint of animals) and ask him for intercession here... Ahhh... My heart just aches for you so, and that poor baby Dante!!! Sending you good joojoo and healing thoughts along with warmest hugs❤️

Oh thank you, Pearly! :) I've been so busy taking care of and worried about Dante, I just haven't had the time or inclination to sit down and write an update. Maybe I should have a word with St. Francis as well!

Kori5

I would ask for another opinion if you have someone as he has been sick for a long time.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I would ask for another opinion if you have someone as he has been sick for a long time.
We've had a pow wow with all the exotic vets at the practice, but that was some time ago. Perhaps it's time for another one.

Kori5

Maybe you should contact deadheadvet here through message and see what he has to say. Has he eaten any in a while?