Twin Enclosure II

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
Well Folks, it's happening again!

For those who aren't in the loop, back in early April 2012 I started a project called "Twin Enclosure Phases I-V". It was a fairly large build to accommodate and separate my 2 baby Leopards, Eros and Gaia.

Twin Enclosure Phase I & II
Twin Enclosure Phase III
Twin Enclosure Phase IV
Twin Enclosure Phase V "Final Assymbly"
Twin Enclosure - Update

... This last Summer, the "Twin Enclosure" was destroyed to make room in our dinning room, mainly because they had outgrown the whole thing and it was created for High Heat/ High Humidity living for small Torts.

Now they are much larger and need even more room for their Winter Abode and thus we begin another "Twin Enclosure" with an even Larger foot print. I have a small walk-in closet that is 5'3"x5'4" in my back room. It will now be the permenate Winter home till Eros and Gaia are large enough to live outside 24/7.

Here are the current drawings I have made up and Plan on starting my build this weekend. The circle and 2 lines at the top of both sides of the 1st drawing are the bar and 2 shelves that are currently in the closet.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
With this layout, Each tort will have @ 15.5 SQ.FT. of personal space. This will of course transfer to 31 SQ.FT of shared space if I choose NOT to put the divider on the bottom level.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I can't see pics :( But it sounds really fabulous! I bet they'll love it :D

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
So....Looking forward to your next twin enclosure. Did you ever consider a out door enclosure??

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
So....Looking forward to your next twin enclosure. Did you ever consider a out door enclosure??
They have a Beautiful Outdoor Enclosure. Here are pics of it before the Grape Vines covered the whole thing. Pic join together Right to left

It's just not any good when the night time temps drop below 70*

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
They have a Beautiful Outdoor Enclosure. Here are pics of it before the Grape Vines covered the whole thing. Pic join together Right to left

It's just not any good when the night time temps drop below 70*

That is a really nice one. I like it......Thank you for sharing it.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Well, I've been slowly accumulating the materials I need for this build. Measuring and cutting the wood for the various pieces and Started the assembly last night.... Here is a photo journal on how it is going.
Of course, on any build you must first chose a space... This is the closet I mentioned in the OP... The big Cream colored void is where an Book shelve used to be.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Then I had to build the basic supports for the bottom....

They railing I had to put on before laying in the floor because it is nailed and glued on, then it sits on top of the supports. Then I put the walls up in preparation for the second level. All corners and edges have been caulked and all the wood has been waterproofed.

Tonight I will go in and set the second level in and put in the ramps. I still haven't decided if I will split it down the middle or not.

Stay tunes for more updates! My goal is to have it ready and Eros and Gaia in their new home by Saturday.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
That is brilliant. All areas are easy to get this way!
The bottom level is set at 30" high and the top level will be @ 16" above that. Every inch will be visible and reachable for anyone taller than 5'6" .

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Well, it's been an eventful night and the build itself is done! Here are the pics of the finished wooden part of this enclosure.

The second level is 16" up (this will change once I put in the substrait) and the ramps are 3" long.

The next installment of pics will be the lights, heat lamps and substrait. along with feed and water station.

I have decided that with all the sight barriers this set-up offers, I will not be splitting it into 2 different areas... unless problems start up again. It will be easy enough to put in the deviding wall!

Alaskamike

South Florida
Wow! I luv seeing the elaborate houses built. What lucky torts to have such great care. I have same issue here in So Florida. Night temps now getting down to 70f and soon to be in the 60's. Too cold for me yearling leopards. Great ideas you have here. Thanks :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I think a removable barrier is a good idea...then you can slide it into place or lift it out as desired!

I like that you built it up off the floor :)
Can't wait to see it decorated!

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Well I finally got the little one in their new home by Saturday but I found a couple of flaws that I will now have to fix. I made the ramps a little to steep because the I put the second level a little to high. The lights are at the perfect elevation so maybe the second level isn't to high.... what ever the case, Ill be correcting the ramps this week with some small wooden treads.

Beyond that here are a few pics of them enjoying the parts they can reach. BTW, I did have to put in the dividing barrier!

Also, I noticed that I have lost the Pics/ Blueprints for this build from the OP. For those interested in this kinda thing, here they are again!

Ill post more pics when I get the ramps finished and the second level completely set up.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
WOOHOO! Build is finished. Ramps are finished. Setup is complete!

As you can see in these pics, I decided on a herring bone pattern for my treads up the ramps and I used slate for the floors on the second level where their basking lights are. Gaia was the 1st to explore the second level and found it quite inviting. Eros however was just to lazy to make the climb!