Turtles to be killed due to overcrowding at rescue centre

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Its sad but they do the samething to dogs and cats every day . I don't see why they can't sell them to China . They buy alot for the pet trade .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That does suck. What really sucks is he is killing them, too take in more. For what? Just too kill more. Rescues need to realize they are not rescuing if they can not house and feed properly. They are then just animal abusers/neglecters/hoarders. They need to realize there is a time to say no, I can't take any more, sorry. If he did more in the field, trying to find fosters, maybe he wouldn't be in such a bad situation. Or should I say the animals wouldn't be in such a bad situation. Good intentions, that too me has gone bad. I am all for animal rescues and even just people trying to rescue, but not when it turns into neglect. As in this situation, the animal pays. The ones being out too sleep, may actually be the lucky ones.

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
I'm proud of myself! I took action, I sent them a long email about this forum and said they could probably find someone to take every turtle or tortoise that they have on this forum! I hope I get emailed back or they join the forum.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Good for you. The worse part is they are in Canada. Not a lot of members from Canada. I don't know, but doubt they could ship to the US. Maybe other countries though?

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Turtles to be killed due to overcrowding at rescue centre

wellington said:
Good for you. The worse part is they are in Canada. Not a lot of members from Canada. I don't know, but doubt they could ship to the US. Maybe other countries though?

Well i sure hope they can ship here, or they get the permits.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
The US does not want them. There are plenty of Adult Sliders that are available through rescues, or for sale on the open market to satisfy the demand here.

tortoise5643

5 Year Member

EricIvins said:
The US does not want them. There are plenty of Adult Sliders that are available through rescues, or for sale on the open market to satisfy the demand here.

Well I don't really want 20 red eareds either but I will find a pond where they can live happily if it keeps them from being killed. This "rescue" just makes me sick

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
good point about dogs and shelters..
interesting comparison..
Cant save them all when people continue to breed breed breed...

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
That is sad :( I know here locally they are giving RES away on Craiglist for free. They are wonderful pets but I think most people don't realize how large those cute little turtles get and how costly it is to set up a large turtle. I wish pet stores would sell smaller turtles breeds that don't need the larger tanks. Thanks for sharing maybe you post will help out at least one turtle will be helped.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
tortoise5643 said:
EricIvins said:

Well I don't really want 20 red eareds either but I will find a pond where they can live happily if it keeps them from being killed. This "rescue" just makes me sick

So you would Import invasive animals from Canada, just to bring them into the US to make them invasive again?

tortoise5643

5 Year Member

EricIvins said:
tortoise5643 said:
EricIvins said:

So you would Import invasive animals from Canada, just to bring them into the US to make them invasive again?

Theyre actually native where I live, I would just find a pond of someone who likes turtles and ask them, or find a local creek, pond, lake that doesnt have many, or try to adopt them out or if I absolutely have to, make my own pond.

They lived here naturally before humans came along, we destroyed and polluted their environment, to me it seems like we(humans) are the more invasive species. I'm not saying that turtles are more important than humans, (obviously a turtles life isnt equal to ours, but if we can fix it, why not) I just think we need to try to fix what we do, if humans bred all of these red eareds and caused this, why should we just kill them to fix it?

I think that the captive breeding of red eared sliders for commercial use (if the breeder isn't going to keep them their whole life) should be outlawed in all states/countries that they are invasive in. Eventually, the amount in the wild would slowly decrease until it was at an appropriate level, then the breeding could be allowed again.

Point being, I like turtles and tortoises, I don't want to just let them die.

compassrose26

5 Year Member
Michigan

tortoise5643 said:
EricIvins said:
tortoise5643 said:
EricIvins said:

Theyre actually native where I live, I would just find a pond of someone who likes turtles and ask them, or find a local creek, pond, lake that doesnt have many, or try to adopt them out or if I absolutely have to, make my own pond.

They lived here naturally before humans came along, we destroyed and polluted their environment, to me it seems like we(humans) are the more invasive species. I'm not saying that turtles are more important than humans, (obviously a turtles life isnt equal to ours, but if we can fix it, why not) I just think we need to try to fix what we do, if humans bred all of these red eareds and caused this, why should we just kill them to fix it?

I think that the captive breeding of red eared sliders for commercial use (if the breeder isn't going to keep them their whole life) should be outlawed in all states/countries that they are invasive in. Eventually, the amount in the wild would slowly decrease until it was at an appropriate level, then the breeding could be allowed again.

:D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
They lived here naturally before humans came along, we destroyed and polluted their environment, to me it seems like we(humans) are the more invasive species.

Perfectly said, as I always feel, just because we can does not mean we should....we can fully dominate but just because we can does not mean we should...

I'm not saying that turtles are more important than humans, (obviously a turtles life isnt equal to ours, but if we can fix it, why not) I just think we need to try to fix what we do,

I always am confused here, why is it that humans think they are the superior species...I mean, who is to say that one species is more relevant that another....why does this comparison always have to be tossed out--to simply suffice the part of this human species that feels we are some how better than any other...there needs to be a respect for all creatures living on this planet...I do not recall when exactly it was that we humans suddenly are the superior group when it is our group that causes such permanent destruction????

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Yeah, but in China they buy them for food. Turtles are killed and eaten all over Asia, especially China.
mike taylor said:
Its sad but they do the samething to dogs and cats every day . I don't see why they can't sell them to China . They buy alot for the pet trade .

EricIvins

5 Year Member
tortoise5643 said:
EricIvins said:
tortoise5643 said:
EricIvins said:

And that is the first step in causing an ecological disaster....Killing them with kindness is just that; You're still killing them, and potentially taking your local Turtle population(s) with it....

sibi said:
Yeah, but in China they buy them for food. Turtles are killed and eaten all over Asia, especially China.
mike taylor said:

The Pet market in China dwarfs the world Pet market ten fold. I wouldn't paint things with such a broad brush. Turtles are consumed around the world, and the US is not far behind China in consumption....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I feel so sorry for that poor little poodle that is going to be euthanized at the shelter because no one adopted it and its time has run out. Let's package him up and send him to Canada!

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
I certainly don't think we are the superior species. If anything ppl suck. The earth would be a better place without us.
But since I do exist here, I must check into the Poodle who needs rescued. :-(