Turtles in fast moving waters

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
Does anyone know of an aquatic turtle species that mostly inhabits fast flowing waters. I know most species tend to hang out in pretty calm water or calm areas of rivers, but am not familiar with any which tend to stay in fast flowing waters most of the time.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
The latin name has changed, a common name is Fitzroy snakeneck/sideneck/tortoise (tortoise is Australian for freshwater turtle) and it lives in swift water stream.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitzroy_River_turtle read the first sentence in the natural history paragraph.

I think bighead turtles from southeast Asia do best in moving water, don't know about the waters velocity though.

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
The latin name has changed, a common name is Fitzroy snakeneck/sideneck/tortoise (tortoise is Australian for freshwater turtle) and it lives in swift water stream.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitzroy_River_turtle read the first sentence in the natural history paragraph.

I think bighead turtles from southeast Asia do best in moving water, don't know about the waters velocity though.

Very interesting. Their wikipedia mentions that they arn't strong swimmers, I wonder why they prefer fast moving water.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Platysternon megacephalum for sure. When I had my group many years ago, they were kept in 200 gallon stock tanks. Each tank had 2 canister filters set up right next to each other. They would spend a good deal of time hanging out under the discharge end. They also like their temps rather cool.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Very interesting. Their wikipedia mentions that they arn't strong swimmers, I wonder why they prefer fast moving water.
They crawl and clamber along the bottom. They are also thought to draw water in and out of their cloaca to absorb oxygen. I don't recall if that has been confirmed or invalidated butt (haha) it has been studied.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
In the US, Map turtles, especially the G pseudogeographica are extremely good swimmers and do frequent parts of rivers where water flow can be much stronger. Not sure I would say they prefer fast water, but they certainly do well there and are amazingly strong swimmers. Terrapins - Malaclemys - are also extremely strong swimmers and have to negotiate strong tidal currents frequently.

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
In the US, Map turtles, especially the G pseudogeographica are extremely good swimmers and do frequent parts of rivers where water flow can be much stronger. Not sure I would say they prefer fast water, but they certainly do well there and are amazingly strong swimmers. Terrapins - Malaclemys - are also extremely strong swimmers and have to negotiate strong tidal currents frequently.

Thanks for all the replies. I was thinking about what species would go well if I wanted to set up a river-setup in an aquarium in the future at some point.