Turtles carrying identification?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkspore

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Barbara, CA
I've read a number of threads about gluing stickers and dog tags onto larger tortoises, but do any of you boxy owners attach identification to your turtles? My three-toes have been experimenting with new and different ways to escape their pen, and while the yard itself is secure I'd still like to have some identification on them in case they manage to do something really amazing when I'm not paying attention. I know that any shell accouterments need to be placed in the center of a scute, away from the growing edges.

Have you tried address labels? Painted over those with clear nail polish?

Written on them with permanent marker? Painted on them?

Superglued a tiny dog tag on? Maybe just a ring to affix a tag? My dogs have little clips for attaching their tags to different collars.

I described rounding them up every night as "looking for Easter eggs with feet" and then a friend asked if I planned on decorating them for Easter. I'm not planning any art projects, but I would love to know if anyone has attached identification to their boxies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I never have, but I like the idea of address labels. At least it would let the "finder" know that this isn't a wild turtle.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
i know with endangered torts they engrave marks\numbers on the center shell to keep track of numbers and travel distance. i don't know about doing it unneededly. i beleive as well some breeders have used a non toxic paint to tell lizards apart but i would have no idea how else to identify a tort :s good luck :D

AndreaRosie

5 Year Member
I use this paint they put on animals to mark them for selling in auctions and stuff. So all my three toeds have their names on them.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I'm still trying to figure a way to ID my wander torts still too small for dog tags

Life is good

Status
Not open for further replies.