TURTLES ARE NOT EATING

sanamushtaqz

Location (City and/or State)
Srinagar
Hello guys. I have two Indian Roofed Turtles (nearly 3 inches). They have been in good health however yesterday they ate little food only as compared to the other days and today they have completely stopped eating. I give them Toya Turtle Sticks. They haven't eaten anything since morning. They are sitting at one place in the aquarium and hardly moving. In Aquarium also, at times they're trying to bury themselves in the grass mat that I have adjusted as the basking area. Right now they're sitting at one corner. I don't understand what is this change in the behaviour. They never sleep during the day, but today they slept for nearly half an hour. As winters are approaching here and it's getting colder, are these the signs that they want to hybernate? Do Indian Roofed Turtles even hybernate? If yes, how do I help in the hybernation process? I'm not sure what's going on. ??

Attachments

• 20211104_153417(0).jpg
    20211104_153417(0).jpg
    823.5 KB · Views: 17

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Did the temp of the water get cold? They need to eat something besides those sticks...that is not natural food for turtles. live worms or crickets in addiction, something like that...and the water temp?

sanamushtaqz

Srinagar
Did the temp of the water get cold? They need to eat something besides those sticks...that is not natural food for turtles. live worms or crickets in addiction, something like that...and the water tem

Did the temp of the water get cold? They need to eat something besides those sticks...that is not natural food for turtles. live worms or crickets in addiction, something like that...and the water temp?
How do I attract live worms? ? I kept a piece of wet cardboard in the muddy area of my lawn. Would that help?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
How do I attract live worms? ? I kept a piece of wet cardboard in the muddy area of my lawn. Would that help?
You have to have a place that you can dig up to find the worms. The wet cardboard might attract slugs and they are good food as well... I'm thinking where you live would have places to dig, gardens and such...also digging must not be damaging...as an example...don't go digging in your neighbors flowerbed...lol do you have a place like that?

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
My friend, "Not eaten since morning" is not reason to panic....not for weeks do you panic. For now, you notice and remember what they are eating and associated behaviors....all of which you were doing!

Worm fishing 1:01

Take a long old extension cord, strip the ends and attach to 2 screwdrivers....should I be telling Sana this? LOL

As they say, buyer beware.....

Wear rubber soled shoes.....
Make sure the screwdrivers are embedded in damp soil at least 2 meters but less than 3 meters apart.....because you guys use 277V

Do not stand in the area you are "worm fishing" in!!!! You will be applying ELECTRICITY!! Duh!

Plug in, wait 5 seconds, off.....on for 5 seconds then off.....then wait and watch. Works better at dusk since the worms will be less afraid to come up.

Some guys leave the power on for minutes at a time but we're already being pretty sketchy here, no sense in pushing the "stupid factor".

It might be a lot easier to plant some boards on the wet part of your lawn and wait for them to arrive or to go as Mags suggested, and find a better worm place!!

Good luck!

BTW- those are beautiful healthy looking turtles. If they aren't warm enough though, they cannot digest their food which can be real bad over time if it stays in their gut.

jeff

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hello. How long have you had them? You seem to need a lot more information about these turtles than you have right now. Their correct diet and the correct temperature of the setup, basking spot and water are essential to their health.

I hope you can solve this by getting more correct information right here on this site! Good luck!

I never even heard of Indian Roofed Turtles. Wow.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Wow again...they are really beautiful with the nice colouring and that spectacular "roof" carapace!!!
They are actually listed as "vulnerable". I guess any reptile is these days, more or less.

sanamushtaqz

Srinagar
You have to have a place that you can dig up to find the worms. The wet cardboard might attract slugs and they are good food as well... I'm thinking where you live would have places to dig, gardens and such...also digging must not be damaging...as an example...don't go digging in your neighbors flowerbed...lol do you have a place like that?
Yes, I have a kitchen garden and lawn. I'll start digging. Thank youuu.

sanamushtaqz

Srinagar
Wow again...they are really beautiful with the nice colouring and that spectacular "roof" carapace!!!
They are actually listed as "vulnerable". I guess any reptile is these days, more or less.
Yes, Indian Roofed Turtles are beautiful. I wouldn't have them but someone else was trying to get rid of them so I thought it better to adopt them because it's not feasible to release them into the wild since I belong to a very cold religion and these are not found here. I'm trying my best to gather every information needed and I'm giving them enough warmth ?❤️?

sanamushtaqz

Srinagar
My friend, "Not eaten since morning" is not reason to panic....not for weeks do you panic. For now, you notice and remember what they are eating and associated behaviors....all of which you were doing!

Worm fishing 1:01

Take a long old extension cord, strip the ends and attach to 2 screwdrivers....should I be telling Sana this? LOL

As they say, buyer beware.....

Wear rubber soled shoes.....
Make sure the screwdrivers are embedded in damp soil at least 2 meters but less than 3 meters apart.....because you guys use 277V

Do not stand in the area you are "worm fishing" in!!!! You will be applying ELECTRICITY!! Duh!

Plug in, wait 5 seconds, off.....on for 5 seconds then off.....then wait and watch. Works better at dusk since the worms will be less afraid to come up.

Some guys leave the power on for minutes at a time but we're already being pretty sketchy here, no sense in pushing the "stupid factor".

It might be a lot easier to plant some boards on the wet part of your lawn and wait for them to arrive or to go as Mags suggested, and find a better worm place!!

Good luck!

BTW- those are beautiful healthy looking turtles. If they aren't warm enough though, they cannot digest their food which can be real bad over time if it stays in their gut.

jeff
Thank you so much. Yes, I'm trying my best to give them the best possible care. I give them enough warmth, I have installed a water heater and a heat bulb and I cover the aquarium with a wooden plank leaving just enough space for them to breathe. ?❤️?