Turtle Torture Event (warning: disturbing)(update 8/21 w/good news)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
Ohio County, Indiana, is home to an extraordinarily cruel event called "Snapperfest"—next scheduled for this Saturday, August 20! Every year at the Campshore Campground, wild-caught snapping turtles endure terrible violence at the hands of participants. The frightened animals are grabbed by their tails and repeatedly slammed to the ground. Their heads are yanked from their shells, and they are then swung around until "contestants" are able to wrap their fists around the animals' necks.

Scroll down a bit to see the video, but it is extremely disturbing:
http://ourcompass.wordpress.com/201...ty-to-turtles-one-petition-one-sample-letter/

STOP THIS EVENT!
PETA, without success, appealed to the compassion of the Ohio County commissioners. Now it's your turn. Please contact the commissioners and the campground, as well as Rising Sun Council Members, and politely ask that they do the right thing and replace this cruel event. And please spread this alert far and wide.

Please send polite comments to:
The Honorable Connie J. Brown
Ohio County Commissioner
[email protected]

The Honorable Todd Walton
Ohio County Commissioner
[email protected]

The Honorable Connie Smith
Ohio County Auditor
[email protected]

Campshore Campground
812-438-2135 (office)
812-290-5939 (cell)
[email protected]

Councilman Pro-Tem Mike Padgett
[email protected]
(812) 438-3340

Councilman Steve Slack
[email protected]
(812) 438-3340

Councilman Lynn Graves
[email protected]
(812) 438-3340

Councilman Bud Radcliff
[email protected]
(812) 438-3340

Councilman Roy Powell
[email protected]
(812) 438-3340

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
RE: Turtle Torture Event (graphic)

Where is the humane society and Fish and Game while this is happening?

Stephanie

5 Year Member
Southern California
RE: Turtle Torture Event (graphic)

Wait, WHAT? This actually HAPPENS?
Aren't there animal cruelty laws in Indiana?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
RE: Turtle Torture Event (warning: disturbing)

This sounds illegal to me, do you know why animals cruelty laws are not being enforced

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL

I don't know any details...I'm hoping it isn't real, but there's that video... :(
And if you google "Indiana Snapperfest" or the like, there are many results.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA

Sadly it is being shown on a vegan no fur type of website

Watermelon

5 Year Member

Jeez Id be embarrassed if I were from Indiana!!!!!!! That is so disgusting...... Just been watching some of the youtube videos. So sick!!!!!!!!

Stephanie

5 Year Member
Southern California

The YouTube video (and the comments from the video's poster) is just sad. These people really do not think it's a big deal; their attitude is coming from pure ignorance.
I think if they knew more about the reason why a turtle even has a shell, they might understand the outrage that other people feel with it.
I wrote up a note on fb from Piglet's point of view, but I won't post the link because it contains explicit language.
:(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLGtX76hQbc

YouTube video I watched.

I would also like to point out that you actually cannot fully see what they are doing (i.e. there is no concrete proof in this video that they are "slamming" them against the ground). However, you can see them dragging them with people yelling to "grab that neck". You can also see them holding the snappers by the neck.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA

Wow, I never knew such a thing existed. D:

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT

I can't watch the video because I am too scared but Rob said it was horrible. Boo Indiana!!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV

We are a cruel society, the things that happen for pure entertainment is very sickening sometimes...

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida

i will be emailing everyone on that list & calling multiple times.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York

Boy would I like to see someone loose a hand! I can't watch the video, but I'll do what I can to.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida

Here is the link to indiana animal cruelty laws.
http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar46/ch3.html

It is a Class A Misdemeanor...for cruelty to an animal. and a class D Felony for fighting animals? I wonder if that video constitutes fighting (man versus turtle)?

"IC 35-46-3-7
Abandonment or neglect of vertebrate animals; defense
Sec. 7. (a) A person who:
(1) has a vertebrate animal in the person's custody; and
(2) recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally abandons or neglects the animal;
commits cruelty to an animal, a Class A misdemeanor..."
As added by P.L.193-1987, SEC.10. Amended by P.L.171-2007, SEC.8; P.L.111-2009, SEC.12."

IC 35-46-3-8
Purchase or possession of animals for fighting contests
Sec. 8. A person who knowingly or intentionally purchases or possesses an animal for the purpose of using the animal in an animal fighting contest commits a Class D felony.
As added by P.L.193-1987, SEC.11. Amended by P.L.171-2007,

IC 35-46-3-9
Promotion, use of animals, or attendance with animal at animal fighting contest
Sec. 9. A person who knowingly or intentionally:
(1) promotes or stages an animal fighting contest;
(2) uses an animal in a fighting contest; or
(3) attends an animal fighting contest having an animal in the person's possession;
commits a Class D felony.
As added by P.L.193-1987, SEC.12.

IC 35-46-3-9.5
Promoting an animal fighting contest
Sec. 9.5. A person who knowingly or intentionally:
(1) possesses animal fighting paraphernalia with the intent to commit a violation of IC 35-46-3-9; and
(2) possesses, harbors, or trains a dog, ****, fowl, or bird bearing:
(A) a scar;
(B) a wound; or
(C) an injury;
consistent with participation in or training for an animal fighting contest;
commits promoting an animal fighting contest, a Class D felony.
As added by P.L.76-2002, SEC.5.

IC 35-46-3-10
Attendance at fighting contest
Sec. 10. A person who knowingly or intentionally attends a fighting contest involving animals commits cruelty to an animal, a Class A misdemeanor. However, except for a conviction under section 1 of this chapter, the offense is a Class D felony if the person has a prior unrelated conviction under this chapter.
As added by P.L.193-1987, SEC.13. Amended by P.L.111-2009, SEC.13.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA

I am pretty sure fighting animals means two animals fighting each other,but it definitively sounds like Class A misdemeanor.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida

dmmj said:
This sounds illegal to me, do you know why animals cruelty laws are not being enforced

That was my first thoughts also!

samclau07

5 Year Member

I rarely post on here, but I just wanted to share that my husband (a lawyer) sent this e-mail to the Indiana Board of Commissioners, Governor, several congressmen, the sheriff, and the Indiana Council of Sheriffs.

"Ladies and Gentlemen:
It has recently come to my attention that an event known as "Snapperfest" is slated to take place tomorrow, August 20, 2011, at the Campshore Campground in Ohio County, Indiana. After reviewing the nature of this event, I must admit that I am shocked and appalled that the State of Indiana, Ohio County, and such honorable individuals as yourselves have permitted this event to take place and I implore you all to stop this event immediately.
Please take note that I.C. 35-46-3-.05(2) defines the term 'Beat' as: "to unnecessarily or cruelly strike an animal, or to throw the animal against an object causing the animal to suffer severe pain or injury." In the mind of any reasonable, civilized human being, there can be no doubt that slamming a vertebrate animal (in this case, a snapping turtle) upon the ground must fall under the definition of 'beat' as aforementioned. Further, I.C. 35-46-3-.05(5) defines 'torture' as: ") to inflict extreme physical pain or injury on an animal with the intent of increasing or prolonging the animal's pain." Even if the exceptions promulgated under the statutes concerning the destruction of "pest animals" (assuming the doubtful conclusion that snapping turtles are "pest" animals), this does not allow "pest" animals to be beaten or tortured. Again, there can be no doubt that the events that occur during "Snapperfest" fall under this definition as well. Finally, I.C. 35-46-3-12(b) and (c) make beating and torturing a vertebrate animal a Class A misdemeanor and a Class D felony, respectively.
One must, therefore, conclude that the events that occur during "Snapperfest" are, at best, Class A misdemeanors and, at worst, Class D felonies. Further, to allow "Snapperfest" to occur can only be interpreted as aiding, abetting, and encouraging the commission of said misdemeanors and/or felonies. Surely, the fine State of Indiana, Ohio County, and such upstanding individuals such as yourselves would not wish to take part in the aiding, abetting, and encouraging the commission of said misdemeanors and/or felonies. As such, I implore you all: please stop this event immediately.
Thank you,
(name omitted for privacy)"

Status
Not open for further replies.