Turtle sandbox turned tortoise enclosure!

Anna!

5 Year Member
I just finished up my enclosure (mostly, still waiting for one or two things to arrive) and would love some feedback! I have a leopard baby arriving this week and want to make sure I’m ready.

note: I know clamp on lights are a no-no, I’m waiting for a second stand to arrive

4639661C-BBC6-435F-9EC7-4775020181CD.jpeg670E6A72-FEFA-41E2-8B00-4F11B402CF5C.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Very innovative! Add another hiding place.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Omg i have the same sandbox in my yard for my son! Without the heat lamps lol he always escapes though

polDurna

New Castle, PA.
Not the first time kiddie equipment has been tortoise purposed, we had a pool that got a huge crack through the bottom, perfect drainage and wall height for an outdoor pen when our Red Foots were babies, we replanted it with garden veggies, rye grass, and weeds for several yrs.

Attachments

• before RF.jpeg
    before RF.jpeg
    8.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 2016-06-04 16.20.51.jpg
    2016-06-04 16.20.51.jpg
    536.6 KB · Views: 29

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
I just finished up my enclosure (mostly, still waiting for one or two things to arrive) and would love some feedback! I have a leopard baby arriving this week and want to make sure I’m ready.

note: I know clamp on lights are a no-no, I’m waiting for a second stand to arrive

View attachment 289103View attachment 289104
Smart idea. More plants. Maybe some smaller rocks. My girl, who is not a baby, loves to climb. Good job!

Anna!

5 Year Member
Smart idea. More plants. Maybe some smaller rocks. My girl, who is not a baby, loves to climb. Good job!
Added another hidey hole and some stones. Any other suggestions?

Attachments

• 520B545D-61E3-491A-B9E0-0E09D5EB5B9D.jpeg
    520B545D-61E3-491A-B9E0-0E09D5EB5B9D.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 17

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Get a small tubular flourescent UVB fixture and fasten inside center of lid. Put aluminum foil shiny side toward light fixture between light and plastic to reflect heat away from plastic. Light can be tied up with wire.

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
Added another hidey hole and some stones. Any other suggestions?
Someone please chime in. Are those rocks the appropriate size for a baby? I said to add some then wondered if my advice was incorrect for a little one. I think they look great but would like confirmation from an expert that all is ok.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Personally would use something just a little smaller and not smooth like that so his feet can get better purchase on them;).

Anna!

5 Year Member
Personally would use something just a little smaller and not smooth like that so his feet can get better purchase on them;).
I can swap them out for smaller ones but unfortunately I only have smooth river rocks available right now. My son has a big rock pit in the back yard filled with these stones so I went out and grabbed a bucketful of the largest onesies, because I was worried the smaller ones might be an issue for a little baby. I can order different ones online but it might take some time for them to get here, what with corona and everything.

Anna!

5 Year Member
Get a small tubular flourescent UVB fixture and fasten inside center of lid. Put aluminum foil shiny side toward light fixture between light and plastic to reflect heat away from plastic. Light can be tied up with wire.
Is the hanging light not enough? It’s a UVB/basking light bulb and I thought it would take care of the uvb needs. I have it on a timer to be on for 12 hours each day.