Turtle nudging my feet and peeing - weird or normal behavior?

kitt3nfangs

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I have a box turtle, I'm guessing eastern but not entirely sure, who I estimate is about 5 years old and I think is female. We got her 2nd-hand from a friend who rescued her from a garage sale. We've had her for a little over a year now, and she's finally getting used to my SO and I handling her, and she shows signs of wanting attention, etc.

In the past couple of days she's started showing some different behavior, especially when it comes to our feet. I often sit on the ground with her when I take her out of her tank to walk around for "turtle time". Now after a while, she will come over to my feet (especially the toes) and keep nudging them with her head, trying to climb on them or dig at them with her claws. She's also done this to my legs if they are on the floor. When she does climb on me, or I lift her up to sit on me, she climbs off and repeats the nudging/digging things. What I've also found odd is that sometimes she pees(?) a little when her bum is close to me and she's doing this. This peeing sometimes happens several times over a few minutes, leaving tiny little pee spots here there.

I thought perhaps she's attempting to do something related to mating, but searching the internet has not been helpful lol. This has also made me wonder if I've gendered her incorrectly, but it's hard to tell since she's so small and some of her shell characteristics are confusing - I don't think she had what she needed for proper shell growth before we got her, and her shell is a little misshapen. Otherwise, she seems happy and healthy, and has had shell growth since living with us. We have not yet taken her to a vet, as finances were tight when we first got her, and now the pandemic is a thing and unless she seems ill or unhealthy, we are minimizing leaving home to crucial trips only.

Has anyone experienced this behavior with box turtles? Is this some kind of affection, or an attempt to mate? She used to be afraid of our hands and feet, but apparently not anymore! Should I allow this behavior, is there something she needs from us? Is she a he?

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
How big is this new-to-you turtle? Post some pictures, and our members can probably help with identification and gender.

kitt3nfangs

Texas
Her shell is about 5" from head to tail, and 4" wide. Here are a few images!

Attachments

• 20200827_120255_resized.jpg
    20200827_120255_resized.jpg
    805.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 20200827_120153_resized.jpg
    20200827_120153_resized.jpg
    805.5 KB · Views: 34

kitt3nfangs

Texas
A few more of her shell

Attachments

• 20200820_143722_resized.jpg
    20200820_143722_resized.jpg
    473.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 20200820_143619_resized.jpg
    20200820_143619_resized.jpg
    609.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 20200820_143639_resized.jpg
    20200820_143639_resized.jpg
    544.7 KB · Views: 27

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
TT YT, FYI I found a "Self promotion" section of this forum and didn't see your web channel there! Go back to the front page and look....if you want to post it that is....

jeff

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Nope, never heard of that behavior from a box turtle.

newboxiemama

Issaquah WA
Oh my goodness! I have a box turtle that does the same thing! Not so much with the peeing, but he is OBSESSED with my feet. Chases me constantly lately - no idea what caused the sudden interest :confused:

kitt3nfangs

Texas
Update: Turns out my baby is indeed a male as I suspected! ?
After another one of these "peeing" incidents, his male bits emerged and now I know for sure.

Is there anything I should do for the little guy? It seems like he's reeeeally excited by the color red, which unfortunately is my hair color right now and explains why he keeps trying to climb on my head but seems unsure what to do if he gets there.

Should I like.... get him a red turtle plushie to love on or something? ? I don't want him to be stressed if he's not able to act on his mating instincts, and I also don't want him to keep trying to hit on my feet or hair lol. I don't know if that will curb his enthusiasm, so to speak, of it it won't matter.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Update: Turns out my baby is indeed a male as I suspected! ?
After another one of these "peeing" incidents, his male bits emerged and now I know for sure.

Is there anything I should do for the little guy? It seems like he's reeeeally excited by the color red, which unfortunately is my hair color right now and explains why he keeps trying to climb on my head but seems unsure what to do if he gets there.

Should I like.... get him a red turtle plushie to love on or something? ? I don't want him to be stressed if he's not able to act on his mating instincts, and I also don't want him to keep trying to hit on my feet or hair lol. I don't know if that will curb his enthusiasm, so to speak, of it it won't matter.
Maybe he'll be happy with a nice, smooth, rounded rock... :rolleyes:?