Turtle Illness

Status
Not open for further replies.

mel262011

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Robertsdale, AL
Okay, so my bf thinks he has turtle sickness. I personally think he is crazy because he won't have anything to do with my turtle. He won't even touch it and I wash my hands when I do. My question is this: What would be the symptoms if he had it?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Oh noooo, not the dreaded turtle illness.....aaaaahhhhhhh ...

So, exactly which one of the turtle illness does he suspect he has contracted....please tell him to stop licking turtles and such cooties would not transfer.... :p

(just tell him to wash his hands after handling any turtle or tortoise and he should be aok....just lay off the licking....)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The only one that comes to mind is salmonella.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
symptoms: scales growing on all limbs, sudden urge for greens and a weird curve to the back....suddenly loving to lay out in the sun.... :D

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
I thought it was salmonella, too. But, what he has doesn't match.

Love the comments, some have made me smile and laugh.

ascott said:
Oh noooo, not the dreaded turtle illness.....aaaaahhhhhhh ...

So, exactly which one of the turtle illness does he suspect he has contracted....please tell him to stop licking turtles and such cooties would not transfer.... :p

(just tell him to wash his hands after handling any turtle or tortoise and he should be aok....just lay off the licking....)

Not really sure. All he said was that he had turtle sickness and if he had it too long it would turn into walking pneumonia.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
Oh no, I hope he didn't catch the dreaded turtle sickness!! ;)

Seriously, they're may be a chance of salmonella poisoning (think food sickness) , but even that chance is very small. Use common sense, wash your hands, all good.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
All he said was that he had turtle sickness and if he had it too long it would turn into walking pneumonia.

hmmm...maybe he has a RI (respiratory infection) :p:p

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I am not a doctor (but I play one on TV) but I am pretty sure salmonella can't turn into pneumonia walking or otherwise.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
How long have you had the turtle? And where did you get it from? The chance of a healthy person catching anything from a turtle is slim but there are several diseases that can be transmitted.

Does Tuberculosis count as a respiratory infection?

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
I have had it for about 3 wks and I got her from a friend that had her for about 6 months.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Melinda:

What your boyfriend has, is the dreaded "let's pull the wool over our girlfriend's eyes so she has to get rid of the turtle" disease. Male family members have been known to use this disease frequently when they feel they are not being paid enough attention. The only treatment is to give the turtle attention when the BF isn't home, and give the BF more attention when he IS home.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
What your boyfriend has, is the dreaded "let's pull the wool over our girlfriend's eyes so she has to get rid of the turtle" disease. Male family members have been known to use this disease frequently when they feel they are not being paid enough attention. The only treatment is to give the turtle attention when the BF isn't home, and give the BF more attention when he IS home.

LOL....:p:D;)

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Would that be the male version of "not tonight dear I have a headache"?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
LOL! No, what you said is what happens when the GF or wife is familiar with that turtle disease.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Funny- Maybe its time to trade him in:D I have a great idea when the BF comes home tell him your thinking about letting the turtle sleep with you guys to keep him warm at night. You have to tell him with a serious face tho ok. Let us know what happens:)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Funny- Maybe its time to trade him in I have a great idea when the BF comes home tell him your thinking about letting the turtle sleep with you guys to keep him warm at night. You have to tell him with a serious face tho ok. Let us know what happens

LOl....my Mom did this with my Dad....except she used the dogs....it works-- if the goal is to get rid of him.....:p (like I said bigred, "being good sucks" a hundred times on the board, while balancing the pointy hat on your head...lol.....:p)

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
emysemys said:
Male family members have been known to use this disease frequently when they feel they are not being paid enough attention. The only treatment is to give the turtle attention when the BF isn't home, and give the BF more attention when he IS home.

Maybe this is the reason our government banned us from importing turtles.

Status
Not open for further replies.