Turtle Burying Himself In Substrate For Days

Squirrel

Apologies for the length of this post...

About a month and a half ago, I agreed to foster an Eastern box turtle (though it looks like he'll be staying here permanently). I've never kept turtles before, though I keep hermit and red claw crabs, so I had some heaters, filters, etc. I've been reading all that I can about taking care of turtles, but I need some help now.

A bit of background: His previous owner had been unable to care for him for a while, and he had a terrible eye/sinus infection when he came to live with me. He's been well for about two weeks now, and has been fairly active, eating, walking around, bathing, etc. He seems very tame, not skittish in the slightest.

When I took him in, I had only a 10 gallon tank to spare (he's about 6'' long). He has a 7'' x 4'' pool, a shelter, and several inches of substrate in there. When he was sick I kept the heat and humidity higher, but now it's usually at 70-75 degrees Fahrenheit and 70-80% relative humidity. When it started to look like he'd be staying with me indefinitely, I began looking for larger tanks. In the meantime, I bought a large cement mixing container, filled it with substrate, and added another pool and shelter.

Since he's been well, I've been taking him out for 'enrichment' time; usually letting him sit on the back patio to soak up the sun, or letting him walk around inside. He never tries to wander into the grass when we're on the patio, and seems to avoid the sun when outside. Last Wednesday, it was warm and sunny, so I took him out back. After only a few moments, he actually turned around and went directly to the back door, where he sat next to me, looking toward the door. I thought it was kind of funny, because that seemed more like cat behavior than what I'd expect from a turtle. But after a few minutes when it was clear he wanted nothing to do with the outside, I took him back in.

While I was cleaning his tank, I set him in the (uncovered) cement mixing container habitat, which was sitting on the carpet. I kept checking on him, and saw him moving around, checking out his shelter and pool. And then I heard a crash. I ran in and saw him sitting on a set of curtain rods that had been lying next to the habitat. I can only guess that he managed to climb up the side of the container and do a flip to land upright on the rods when he fell over the side.

DSCN0066.JPG

(new habitat, shelter added right after this picture)​

I was completely freaked out, but he seemed fine. He moved normally and had no signs of injury, so I set him back in his tank. But later that day, he dug down into the substrate, and didn't come back up for the next five days. In fact, on day five, I un-buried him and set him near his newly-filled food dish. I hadn't wanted to bother him, despite constantly worrying that he was dead or dying. He just sat in his burrow, covered in dirt except for his head, which he would uncharacteristically pull in whenever he saw me.

After I took him out of his burrow, he ate all of his food, got in his pool for a while, and then returned to his shelter and dug back down again. He's been there for the past two days.

Is this normal behavior? I don't think he comes out at night, because I put new food in his dish each day and he never eats any. The water in his pool also stays clear. Is he afraid of something? Did I frighten him by putting him in the new container? Unlike the tank, it's opaque black, so he couldn't see what was going on around him, just up above him. Did his fall have anything to do with it?

Thanks in advance for reading all this and helping an extremely worried new turtle caretaker.

Last edited by a moderator:

Squirrel

Also, in case it makes a difference, we're pretty sure he was originally taken from the wild, but I don't know how long he's been in captivity or how many owners he had before he came to me.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
it really sounds like to me he was injured in the fall that is not visible to the naked eye. it could be simply that after an experience like that he's a little shy and hiding a lot. Since he's eating and acting normally besides the hiding I'm going to lean towards he's just scared. for the moment I would give it a couple more days and see what happens.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Box turtles are very good climbers. He'll probably be able to get out of that new one pictured too. He's just stressed from falling. He'll be back to normal as soon as he realizes he's safe once again. But I'd be thinking about something other than a cement mixing tub. Not big enough, sides not tall enough. If you buy two of this type of tub, the biggest ones you can find:

51Q-TwJhMVL._SX522_.jpg

and cut out opposing ends from each then put them together, you'll end up with an area big enough to put in plants and other furniture, plus tall enough sides he can't climb out.

Squirrel

Thank you both. I feel reassured that he's probably just taking some time to feel safe again. Yvonne, thank you for the advice about a habitat. I think my boyfriend and I will be able to get out to the store this weekend and pick up a couple of those containers for him and make him a much better home.

Shelley Whittington

Lots of questions first... where do you live? are you in a area where EBT are native? Did he get to hibernate? what kind of sun do you have for him, how many hours is it on a day, and do you have a "hot spot" for him to warm up. under?.. EBT are not easy to have as pets as it is difficult at best to duplicate mother nature.. he needs lots of humidity and warmth to stay awake and active.. and depending on these variables he may be trying to get in a little sleep... If you can build him a pen outside where he can get natural sun it is best.. also Hibernation is very important to good health .. I would recommend you do some research on line about care and husbandry for EBT .. turtles digging in for days is not unusual.. they will occasionally also want to sit in water for days.. if you need to keep him inside ...get the largest container that you can... if you have a feed store or Southern States check out water troughs.. they come in all different sizes, have rounded corners, and are durable and not see through... spend the money on a full spectrum light bulb...put it on a timer... and mist daily... think about what is in this guys native environment and try to duplicate., leaves, lots of leaves, slugs pillbugs and worms .. let me know if I can be of any help.. I am in Virginia and have a EBT sanctuary... good luck and thanks for giving him a caring home! Shelley

Squirrel

I just wanted to post an update. Grady came up out of his burrow yesterday and ate a little food. :<3: He'll poke his head out of his shelter, but he won't come out any farther than that. He has yet to get in his pool, but he seems to be feeling a bit better. He ate out of my hand today, so I take that as a good sign. My boyfriend and I are setting up a new habitat in a better location, but I don't want to move him until he's ready to come out of his shelter on his own, for fear of unsettling him further.

In response to Shelley, I live in North Carolina, so they do live in the wild here. I don't know if he hibernated or not. We have a heat lamp, but since his current tank is so small, and since there's little area between his shelter and pool, we usually use the aquarium lid light during the day. I used to try taking him outside to bask, but he'd never sit in the sun- he'd immediately find shade. I live in an apartment, so an outside enclosure isn't possible at the moment. Thank you for all your help.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
So during they day he has no heat lamp and just the aquarium light, right?
Are you using a UVB tube light?
I'm not sure what the temp requirements are exactly for EBTs but personally I'd be a little wary or having an enclosure without any form of heat. Then again EBTs are probably fairly cold tolerant.
We have a pair of wild ones that wander into my backyard for breeding every summer but that's about as far as my experience goes for them.

Squirrel

The temperature in the tank with the aquarium hood light is 75-78 degrees, roughly five degrees less when off. The bulb is incandescent, similar to this one: T10 Incandescent Bulb. I only turn one bulb on, because turning both on raises the temperature to over 85 degrees. Because his current tank is so small, he only has access to the heat lamp when I take him out, and since he's been hiding, I haven't taken him out in over a week. :/
He's getting back to his usual self more each day, eating more from my hand and taking a few steps out from his shelter, so hopefully soon I'll be able to put him in the larger environment and have a proper basking spot set up for him.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
I would get the new enclosure asap. Right now he's getting used to this new enclosure as his territory, but the second you move him over to another one he'll have to go through it all over again. So the sooner you can move him into a larger enclosure the better.
I would imagine these guys are a bit like Russians and require a lot of room, but again, I don't own any myself so I'm not sure.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Box turtles are very good climbers. He'll probably be able to get out of that new one pictured too. He's just stressed from falling. He'll be back to normal as soon as he realizes he's safe once again. But I'd be thinking about something other than a cement mixing tub. Not big enough, sides not tall enough. If you buy two of this type of tub, the biggest ones you can find:

51Q-TwJhMVL._SX522_.jpg

and cut out opposing ends from each then put them together, you'll end up with an area big enough to put in plants and other furniture, plus tall enough sides he can't climb out.

Last time i was in Home Depot i noticed they now have 55-gallon totes. They are like the 27 gallon ones they always carry. Black tote with bright yellow top.
These are like twice as long as the 27s.

Dutch box turtles

It is normal for box turtles to burrow into the soil and stay there sometimes for days. Mine even hibernate there for months (in live in The Netherlands). It seems to be related to character as well, some do it all the time, others don't. It's good for their carapax to dig into something moist. As long as he is not walking around from left to right the whole time, trying to get out, I think he is not that stressed yet but for it's health it is better to give him as much space as possible and I agree the sooner the better. It should have a drye part (I am using forrest floor bark for that), a moist part (soil or spaghnum) and part where he can warm up and get some sunlight. In addition he will appreciate some stones and wood for climbing activities and hiding. Walking on stones will also help nails to get shorter. Good luck with your lovely turtle

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Fyi, box turtles don't particularly like bright, strong sun. Their favorite weather is actually warm and overcast. In the mornings they may sit in the sun a bit but not so much in the middle of the day.