Turtle Bleeding from Mouth

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hey guys,

I received a Mississippi Map Turtle on Monday afternoon and I think something is seriously wrong with him.

He won't eat, he's bleeding from his mouth, and when I wipe it off, more just comes out.

Checked his plastron, not pink or anything. He has some white goo stuck to him that looks like shedding but its rather excessive, and he has this weird spot on the top of his head.

Yesterday he pooped out some dark red goo, today he pooped out a gooey greenish string which makes me think parasites.

He is in a 40 gallon tank right now, water temp 75ish, MVB on basking spot, which is about 85 to 90 degrees. He seems to be a fully grown male as I can guess from the large tail and the long nails.

I got him from a pet store, he was free and housed with an african side neck, which was attacking him.

I know this is a tortoise forum, but I figure maybe someone can help me out. I have called a vet and they can't see me tonight...but even if I went, would the stress be worth it? He seems to cough up more blood when I pick him up and he gets nervous.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Beware, there are poop pictures

Attachments

• enclosure.JPG
    enclosure.JPG
    595.9 KB · Views: 70
  • side.JPG
    side.JPG
    549.9 KB · Views: 69
  • weird green poop.JPG
    weird green poop.JPG
    529.4 KB · Views: 71
  • red poop.JPG
    red poop.JPG
    513.2 KB · Views: 70

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, poor thing. I think I would take him in. If the other one he was with in the pet store was beating on this guy, he might have some internal damage. It could also be from an over load of parasites or an injury in the mouth.
Good luck.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Thank you, I was thinking along the same lines. I thought maybe pneumonia as well since he's floating rather lopsided and needs to stick one or two limbs out to stay balanced.

I just hope my tortoise can't catch it, I'm trying to stay clean between the two of them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm afraid I don't have any words of wisdom for you, just wanted to say that small bodies like this one don't have all that much blood, so any blood loss is critical. Hopefully the vet will be able to help.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Poor guy :( I will be taking him to the vets tomorrow and hopefully something can be done. Thanks for responding, I appreciate it

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I hope the vet has good news. Please keep us informed. I'm hoping for a happy outcome. Poor little guy!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Fresh blood from mouth could be from injury in head/upper neck region but blood in poo tells me that there's something really bad going on systemically. Definitely vet visit. Thank you for taking this poor guy and please keep us posted

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Just wanted to wish you and the poor little turtle the very, very best.
Bless.
Hope the vet visit has a positive outcome.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
I have no medical insight, but really hope the turtle is OK. Best of luck and thanks for helping out. Shame on the pet store for letting the other one beat him up and possibly make him sick.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Hey guys, just an update.

I went to the vet last night and we did an xray and TRIED to do a fecal, but the turtle hasn't eaten so there's no poop. The vet told me he was incredibly skinny so he was force fed and de-wormed as a precaution.

The little guy has a lot of gunk in the top of his left lung, which was explained to me as some dirty water he aspirated and resulted in a fungal or bacterial infection in the lung, We were given antibiotics to inject every 3 days for a month. He also had a dried puss-filled wound on the top of his head that was taken off and cleaned, so I have some ointment to put on his head for now.

Glad he was de-wormed because this huge worm-like thing was pooped out when I came home today. That is a frickin huge worm and the picture doesn't even show the whole thing. There were large segments of that thing floating around in the tank, plus this. (Pictures aren't uploading at the moment, will try later)

Nothing specific about the mouth bleeding, as he wasn't able to find the source of bleeding (could be lungs or stomach) but we're hoping with this medication we'll fix whatever is causing it.

Last edited:
M

Maggie Cummings

I appreciate that you took him to the Vet. A lot would just have let him die. You did the right thing. Please keep us posted

Pearly

5 Year Member
God bless you with many good things for taking that poor baby to the vet. If all the physical insults (infections, parasites) were to much for him to recover at least he can spend his days now in comfort. I hate to ask what your vet bill was

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
The vet told me it's about 50/50 for his chance of survival, I'm hoping for the best. I've been too afraid to name him because I don't know how it's going to turn out.

And yes it's really sad but the turtle bully is probably not doing very well, either :(

The vet bill...ridiculous. But at least he has a chance.

Pearly

5 Year Member
To me the expense of vet care are the worst. Every time I bring one of the cats in for well or sick visit my bill is at least close to 200$. Our baby RF's need well check as well. I'd have more pets but vet care makes it really cost prohibitive for me. Hats off the you for willing and being able to do that for this poor guy

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I've been too afraid to name him because I don't know how it's going to turn out.

I waited 4 years to name a poorly little leopard gecko that I had. She lasted 16 years in my care and came to me as an adult. Go figure.