Turt Mom, wannabe Tort Mom

Crystalmadeline

Location (City and/or State)
Lake City
I have a red-eared slider, Shelby (the girls and I caught her because she kept stealing our bait fishing on Alligator Lake) and a baby yellow belly slider, Sheldon, whom we got about a month ago who's keeping Shelby company. They are happy little turtles. I feel in love with a baby sulcata at the pet store and after some research I realized I don't have the space or time for a Shell that big. After looking more into it I think I have decided on the Redfoot Tort. They're very pretty and they still get big, just not huge. I have 3 daughters ages 16, 8, and 5. I'm a singlemom, full time resturant manager, I live in north central Florida, and I do not own my own home yet. I would love some knowledge about tortoises, especially Redfoots.

Attachments

• 20200419_154409.jpg
    20200419_154409.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Welcome..... Redfoot is a good choice for a Floridian, just ask @ZEROPILOT he’ll be glad to provide llts of info!

There’s a ton of info on Redfoots under the Species Type tabs, ‘til you get there, here’ one.

Good luck!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We have a good RF section with care guidelines so be sure to check that out. Also the advice already given.
I don't see any water in the turtle tank. I'm sure there is. However they do need a very large aquarium in order to have enough land and water area
Also please never take from the wild. They should always be left in the wild unless they are injured and need medical help.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Redfoots are great! They do require higher humidity but that shouldn't be an issue in your area. If you get a Hatchling a closed chamber works best to achieve the high humidity you need for smooth growth the first couple years. You could house an adult outside almost full time in your area too. If you built a heated hide box you could house one full time outside. Here's where mine live in the summer. IMG_20200510_102448348.jpgI have an indoor enclosure he lives in for the winter. Redfoots are also pretty easy when it comes to their diet compared to other torts. They can eat almost anything. As long as you do it correctly, owning a Redfoot can be a pretty awesome experience. As a matter of fact, I just consulted with "Murphy", and he says you should go for it.......IMG_20200328_094909850.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello and welcome.
I'm a good 4 or 5 hours drive south of you in Sunrise.
Redfoot are a great choice. But they also require a lot of room. You will almost certainly need some sort of outdoors enclosure unless you get a very tiny tortoise.
I would suggest that you, or anyone with less experience get a larger, older first tortoise. They are usually tougher and sturdier. Past that delicate stage.
Do not buy any from a pet shop. You'd just be begging for troubles.
SOUTHERN REPTILES is right here in southern Palm Beach county./Northern Broward county.
I recommend them. But there are certainly others.

Crystalmadeline

Lake City
We have a good RF section with care guidelines so be sure to check that out. Also the advice already given.
I don't see any water in the turtle tank. I'm sure there is. However they do need a very large aquarium in order to have enough land and water area
Also please never take from the wild. They should always be left in the wild unless they are injured and need medical help.
Respectively noted about the taking from the wild. I had no idea. And yes I have about 8 gallons of water in the turtle tank and 2 floating rock platforms. When I got the 2nd ? I upgraded the tank to a 20 gallon. They are doing just fine. I love my turtles! They are very intelligent and thats whats drawing me to get a tortoise. I take Shelby outside and she doesnt go far... If she does, I call her name and I swear she turns around and comes back to me.

Crystalmadeline

Lake City
Hello and welcome.
I'm a good 4 or 5 hours drive south of you in Sunrise.
Redfoot are a great choice. But they also require a lot of room. You will almost certainly need some sort of outdoors enclosure unless you get a very tiny tortoise.
I would suggest that you, or anyone with less experience get a larger, older first tortoise. They are usually tougher and sturdier. Past that delicate stage.
Do not buy any from a pet shop. You'd just be begging for troubles.
SOUTHERN REPTILES is right here in southern Palm Beach county./Northern Broward county.
I recommend them. But there are certainly others.
Oh but thats the whole point.... To raise a pet from a baby to an adult (or young adult in this case). Whats considered the delicate state? I am very nurturing! And also I'm trying to educate myself as much as I can b4 making the purchase. I'm very glad I didnt splurge buy the sulcata that day at the store because I sure was close. I have a baby turtle now, have had him for 2 months and he's well taken care of so far.

Crystalmadeline

Lake City
Redfoots are great! They do require higher humidity but that shouldn't be an issue in your area. If you get a Hatchling a closed chamber works best to achieve the high humidity you need for smooth growth the first couple years. You could house an adult outside almost full time in your area too. If you built a heated hide box you could house one full time outside. Here's where mine live in the summer. View attachment 294010I have an indoor enclosure he lives in for the winter. Redfoots are also pretty easy when it comes to their diet compared to other torts. They can eat almost anything. As long as you do it correctly, owning a Redfoot can be a pretty awesome experience. As a matter of fact, I just consulted with "Murphy", and he says you should go for it.......View attachment 294011
Omg Murphy is a beautiful creature and tell him thanks for the Approval!!! I'm glad you asked him ☺

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Oh but thats the whole point.... To raise a pet from a baby to an adult (or young adult in this case). Whats considered the delicate state? I am very nurturing! And also I'm trying to educate myself as much as I can b4 making the purchase. I'm very glad I didnt splurge buy the sulcata that day at the store because I sure was close. I have a baby turtle now, have had him for 2 months and he's well taken care of so far.
A "Yearling" is considered sturdy. And will have no failure to thrive symptoms from not being started correctly.....
And you, your kids, their kids and possible their kids could still have another 80 or so years to be with him/her.