Turnip greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello

I bought some turnip greens seeds from California pet supply, but It takes time to grow. I went to the fruits and vegetables store and they only sell the turnip. One employee that worked there told me to put one turnip in a glass of water (water should cover the bottom of the turnip) and the greens should grow. Has anybody ever heard of that?

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
Isa said:
Hello

I bought some turnip greens seeds from California pet supply, but It takes time to grow. I went to the fruits and vegetables store and they only sell the turnip. One employee that worked there told me to put one turnip in a glass of water (water should cover the bottom of the turnip) and the greens should grow. Has anybody ever heard of that?

I haven't heard anything about the turnip techique but please keep us informed on this experiment. Does your hermann like turnips?

I believe that you are from Canada?

I'm having problems locating seeds in Canada. Where did you buy the seeds? I purchase seeds from stokesseeds: Top Bunch (Collards),French Dandelion ,Dandelion,Primetime White (Petunia/multiflora),Magdeburgh (Chicory) . I give it a try to grow these items.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
soundwave said:
Isa said:
Hello

I haven't heard anything about the turnip techique but please keep us informed on this experiment. Does your hermann like turnips?

I believe that you are from Canada?

I'm having problems locating seeds in Canada. Where did you buy the seeds? I purchase seeds from stokesseeds: Top Bunch (Collards),French Dandelion ,Dandelion,Primetime White (Petunia/multiflora),Magdeburgh (Chicory) . I give it a try to grow these items.

Hello

I don't know if Hermy likes turnip greens but I heard it is good for her so I bought some at Carolina pet supply.
http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/
I tried to ordered them but the company sent me an E-mail to asked me if my custom would accept it, I called the Canada custom and no, they would not accept it because it is not in regular packages (the seeds are in little brown enveloppe or in little ziploc). Since my boyfriend have relatives in the states, I ordered the seeds under his cousin's address. At the canada border I declared them, the person told me normally, I would not be allowed to keep them but it was ok for this time ( I had the bill and I explained it was for my tortoise).

I will let you know if the turnip tecnique works.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
If you plant the sprouted turnip, you might get it to bolt and go to flower and seed, in which case you may be able to harvest the seeds, and grow a whole new turnip crop. But planting a turnip root will not grow another turnip. (It's not like a potato plant)

Or you might enjoy the turnip greens (the leaves) that sprout. But since it's done growing the "turnip" part, it's likely the greens will be more bitter than the new greens on a young plant.
If you want to try it, cut off the bottom of the turnip, stick 3 tooth picks in the turnip so they lean on the glass. Then put it in a glass of water covering the bottom part under the toothpicks.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
If turnip greens are hard to get locally at the stores, would you have better luck with mustard or collard greens? If you add a small pinch of calcium supplement, they are almost as good. Collards, in fact, have a better calcium/phosphorous ratio- but they are high in oxalic acid...

Oxalyc acid is partially offset by vitamin A, and Collards are high in A so they might not loose as much calcium.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Terry, thanks for the advice, I will try that!

Thanks Leslie, We have Garden Shop in the city I live but they dont sell turnip greens, I really dont know why.
If I would import seed (except grass because you cant import grass) and the seeds were in the original package, they would probably accept it, depends on the custom officer.

Madkins, since I got the seeds from Carolina pet supply, I will continu to try my best to make them grow, but thanks for the advice :)

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
Hi Isa,

I found a Canadian company that sell seeds that you might be interested in.

I just place an order for Mung Bean,Alfafa, Sunflower, clover and lentils. The best thing is that if you order over $25, free shipping.

I have the same issue of bad weather so I can want to develop a sustainable food source.

http://www.sprouting.com/canstore/enter.html

Status
Not open for further replies.