Turnip greens?

DuncanDonuts

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
Hello all! I have a gorgeous redfoot tortoise and he has lived happily with me for nearly a year. I have searched everywhere I can for turnip greens and cannot find them anywhere. If I were to plant a turnip from the grocery store will the greens start to grow? I used to plant the top of a carrot as a child and the greens would start growing almost right away. If anyone has tried, I'd love to know. Thanks!!!! (and thanks from Duncan too!)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Yes, you can regrow the greens from a top just like carrots

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've never tried growing them that way, but they grow easily from seeds too.

DuncanDonuts

Ontario
I've never tried growing them that way, but they grow easily from seeds too.
Thank you! I do grow my own lettuce, but I am doing it under grow lights right now because I'm in Canada. I'm limited on grow space but I'll definitely try that in the summer.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
You will be able to cut leaves off any turnip that roots itself, as suggested, and it will grow more pretty quickly. But not enough to keep your redfoot in style. :)

Turnips and radishes are ridiculously easy to grow from seed. As in practically overnight. They are both cool weather plants so might do okay under grow lights if you have a little space.

If you have some outdoor space/pots in the summer definitely give them a try. Daikon, a big white Chinese radish, grows enormous leaves with less fuzz than the red radishes we’re used to; my Russian loves them. Both plants have plenty of calcium and other nutrients in the leaves; it’s just that turnips are better known.