Turbos new outdoor enclosure

erdavis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gainesville, Fl (Go Gators!)
Hey guys! I need some help. My boyfriend and I just recently broke up. He was the one that always helped with Turbo's enclosure. I would come up with ideas and what I wanted, he would brainstorm how to do them/how to make it awesome, and he would do do all the real work while giving me little tasks that made me feel like I was helping. Lol! Well now I am lost without him to help. I'm not completely skillless- I can use a drill (not like super good at it or anything) and I'm not afraid to do some work. I just don't know how to do it unless I'm told. Lol. Idk if I ever posted on here Turbos new enclosure. So here it is. I know it's small. I think 8x8 or 10x10 idk. But where we had his old one was always flooded so half the time he couldn't even walk out of his night box. So I wanted to move it to the highest spot in the yard. It was supposed to just be a basic temporary move but we kept adding more and more permanent stuff. In order to make it higher than ground level and be able to slope it we had to add some more dirt. Except dirt is expensive. So we got a whole truck load of sand for free. But i know sand isnt good to use. So we had to dig a ginormous hole, fill it with sand, and then put the dirt that we dug up on top that. I made him a concrete pond (all by myself!). I dug a deep hole and put a big bucket (ignore all the debris in it) to make the top ground level, and the concrete pond peice goes on top (removable for cleaning). The concrete part has drain holes so when it gets too full of water the water drains into the bucket, which also has drain holes. And the entire enclosure is sloped with the pond being the lowest point. There's been no flooding at all! I am going to redo the concrete peice of the pond to make it a little bigger. But I do not think he'll be spending too long in the enclosure. He has his night box. And also an inderground area. I put a container underground with the lid at ground level so i can open it if needed. I dug a pipe from above ground to in the container. But i am gonna try to replace the pipe with the bigger one this weekend. He loves it under here and hardly ever goes in his warm one for now at least. Even though the enclosure is small it has a top level portion like his old one that he loves going up and sunning on. I never see him pacing or walking around the edge of his enclosure at all like he thinks there's no room. But i do plan on moving him to a bigger area. My only issue with size as of right now is that he doesn't let anything grow. I have some planters with stuff that I can give him but I really want something growing inside his enclosure. I planted some tortoise seed mix in there and blocked off a little section to let it grow before letting him at it. I can't believe how fast he ate it. It didn't last long at all. But it was also I very small section. Now I have tried to just plant them all over and give him lots of other food to eat but it's not working too well. Any ideas on how to increase the plant growth? Or should I just give up? I have been wanting to do a misting system. I have tried looking up how to do it but I'm so lost! Any tips or pointers on anything would be awesome!
1439671965423.jpg
1439671981983.jpg
1439671872715.jpg
1439671941718.jpg

Attachments

• 1439671896727.jpg
    1439671896727.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 38

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Plants are always beautiful, but generaly, tortoises will quickly DESTROY it all. I use non food plants that are very sturdy like spider plants in the enclosure. They are also just a few bucks.
Then grow food items in a raised bed far away from the cold blooded bulldozers!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I like his enclosure, looks nice. And see, you can do more then you think, you built him a little cement pond. That's really good.
If you are building him a different enclosure, can you leave this one as is and plant stuff in it. Then switch him back and forth from enclosure to enclosure, growing stuff in the vacant one each time? Otherwise, it's pretty hard keeping a tortoise, specially a sulcata from eating everything insight. Growing stuff in moveable beds would then be the next best thing.

erdavis

5 Year Member
Gainesville, Fl (Go Gators!)
Sorry for the late reply now. But I have run into a few more problems. :/ Basically this entire post turned into a huge rant so it can be ignored. If anybody does see this post the main thing I am wondering is:
  • How big of an enclosure will be needed in order to have his own food growing inside his enclosure and him not eat/kill it all constantly?
  • Do I still need to be worrying about hawks/owls etc. with an 8" sully?
  • What do you think is more cost efficient: The perimeter being a whole bunch of those lumber timber thingy's stacked up like his current enclosure (but probably have to be taller)? Or those pre-made short fence panel things that lowes/home depot has with a gate added?

I suddenly moved out of my parents house, which is where this enclosure is at. They said I can leave Turbo there and they would help feed him and stuff. I was planning on moving him to me ASAP because I do not feel 100% about him being there long term. But we were expecting a hurricane here and I wanted him to stay there during that.
During this period of time my dog (who to sum it up without any exaggeration at all is my whole world) has been having issues with all of the changes and to sum it up once again I am going to start taking him to the university of florida to figure it all out once and for all. Which will probably involve many months of sooo many appointments and $$$.
I was planning on leaving Turbo's current enclosure at my parents because the house I'm at now is a month to month contract (but will actually probably still be available for at LEAST a year) and I just would feel better about everything if he had that place at my parents as a backup just in case I had to up and leave for some reason and needed to move him back there. That being said, I also kind of wanted his new place to be able to be moved (even if its in pieces) to the next place because a couple years here would probably be maximum. I thought about leaving the one at my parents to grow food and stuff but I know that won't be taken care of and will die/turn into a forest and I don't think thats an option. I tried the trays of food thing but he tries to eat the tray...
My place now has issues Ive never had to deal with since having Turbo. The yard is not fenced in so all neighbors will see that something is there, although really I am not worried about this as my dog's breed and stranger anxiety scares people (he's actually a huge baby and within minutes people are annoyed at how much he licks them). There is another dog here who might think Turbo is a nice rock to gnaw on but he is broken with hip dysplasia so it doesn't need to be exagerantly (made up word?) tall but does need to be sturdy. Buttt I have also seen some opossum already that aren't too afraid of roaming our carport at night so I will have to make sure I lock him in every night. I have not seen/heard any birds of prey, Turbo is at least 8" and I'm not sure if this is even something I need to worry about still. We have a pretty large yard but its a duplex. I never see my neighbors outside so I don't think they'll have an issue but I guess I kind of have to think about them a little in the aesthetics/size department. lol. Probably not though to be completely honest.
I make more than enough money to pay all my bills, pay for the vet stuff, not worry about $$ too much while building the new enclosure, and still have extra to not be too worried. But I kind of told myself that for every dollar I spend of my paychecks at the end of the month I have to put that much in my savings account. So that in the future when I go back to school I know that I will have enough to quit my job if I have to. So now I am considering moving his old enclosure stuff here and then also adding some a little bit. I know I could just let it pass this one time to get the enclosure built but I don't want to start a pattern of breaking this plan already.
When it all comes down to it I am going to do what needs to be done, so I am realizing now that this is absolutely just a rant. But I am just brainstorming and trying to juggle what would be the best idea and what kind of enclosure would be best, and not too difficult to build, and not outrageously expensive. Basically I am just realizing that it's all a lot to do and plan and think about. But I also know that at the end of the day I am going to do whatever he needs so I am not too worried about it :)

Anddddd thats all lmao