Turbo is swollen again - pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
I am so sorry they will keep her overnight :(. Maybe the fluids will make her feel better, I am sure she will be very happy to see you tomorrow.

Sudhira

5 Year Member
At least you know she is in good hands...the fluids should help her feel better? Thinking of you all...

TanknTurbo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Austin, TX
Thanks, everyone. Here are 2 more pics of her plasteron from the group of pics I took this past Monday evening. I still can't see any red spots - the vet said she found a small red spot on the upper right side of the plasteron, possibly indicating infection. I hope these upload large enough for you guys to take a look at to see if you notice anything I'm not. You can also see the misfigured jaw pretty well from this angle...
Plasteron-Dec09-compressed.jpgPlasteron-Dec09(2)-compressed.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I don't see the red spot either.

Is your vet experienced with reptiles at all? If it were me, I'd find that out and if not, ask him/her to refer you to one who is. I'd feel a lot better about paying the bill of someone who is at least familiar with tortoise care and illness. It may be a good idea to get her to a herp vet before the weekend holiday hits us.

In the meantime, I hope Turbo is not getting too stressed with all the poking and prodding and unfamiliar environment.

Please let us know what they tell you today.

TanknTurbo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Austin, TX
I think Turbo will be okay with the poking and prodding, she's very outgoing - my stress and anxiety is through the roof, however! Both of the vets that have seen her at the hospital are experienced with reptiles, but I'm not totally clear about their experience with small tortoises...so far I've been pretty comfortable with their analysis and feedback though.

I just called again to check on her and they said they haven't tried to do another blood draw yet this morning, but that she's had more fluids and has had a soak in a warm bath. The tech I spoke to let me know that she's been moving around (she's probably hungry!) and he thinks she's perked up since giving the fluids yesterday. If they can't get a blood draw today I think I'm going to request they go ahead and do Xrays since we'll probably end up doing them anyway.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Still, the fact that she is "perking up" is hopeful...and knowing the vets are familiar with tortoises and are giving her loving care should reduce her stress levels from being in a strange place.:)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I do see a bit of something that maybe the start of a blood spot (or dirt :p) on the seam between the abdominal and pectoral scutes on the right (left side of the picture) side under her arm. Hard to tell though.
I can see why she might be dehydrated as Dandelions give you the double whammy of having some oxalic acid and being a diuretic, so feeding everyday isn't a good idea with Dandelions. I wouldn't feed Dandelions more than once a week.

Danny

TanknTurbo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Austin, TX
Well, a "whopping bladder stone." :(

2 cm in diameter, about 40% of the shell height. Surgery is our only option, but she's just too weak and dehydrated to go that route. Vet said the cause may have been too much vit D and/or calcium, and perhaps a genetic predisposition...

Thank you to everyone who has been following our saga :(

Danny, although I offered dandilions to Turbo, I think she had a few bites maybe once or twice. In case I ever own another tortoise in the future I will certainly remember that though. We rehomed Tank, our other Greek tortoise, to one of my friends and co-workers a few months ago. He's still thriving and healthy as an ox...same upbringing, funny how that happens.

:( Man, this just really sucks.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I am so sorry about Turbo. I was watching this thread for an update. I'm so glad that you have your answer though I think it's harder if you don't know why. :(

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I am so sorry :( Will they try the operation, maybe it could work? Turbo and you are in my thoughts and prayers.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I'm sorry to hear that :( but surgery if possible can do wonders.

I will though have to disagree with how the stone was formed :D Almost all stones are calcium oxalates. Oxalic acid binds with the calcium. Not just so they can't use the calcium, but making it hard to pass from the bladder. It starts as sand size grains and than it just keeps getting added to. This stone probably took well over a year to form and get that size. Some tortoise species are more prone to stones and Greeks are one of them.

Danny

TanknTurbo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Austin, TX
Thank you, Danny, and everyone. Your advice and knowledge are just invaluable. They still haven't been able to draw any blood from Turbo because of how dehydrated she is...the vet hasn't called back with any estimates yet, but he said even with surgery the prognosis is "very grave." We've been approved for that Care Credit program in case she is able to have surgery, but at this point I'm just devistated and have very little hope. He commented that when a tortoise is at the point where they can't pull their head back into the shell (which she hasn't done for a few months now), that they are close to death... So I'm still sitting by my phone, and I'll let you know the final word as soon as it's decided/determined.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Oh my goodness I am so sorry :( I do hope that in a turn of events a miracle will happen and Turbo will be okay..with so much good that you've done [for both torts so far now] I'm sure it has to come back to you soon!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Oh Emma,
I'm so very sorry you have to deal with this. You must do what you think is best for Turbo, and I'm sure the vets will give you their best advice. May the tortoise gods watch over you (and the other One as well) during this difficult time.

TanknTurbo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Austin, TX
Thanks to everyone again...it's final now. She was just too weak for surgery.

Emma and Family

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, Emma: I'm so very sorry!

1652186wuszumwc87.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.