Turbo and I would like to say hi to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thadividedsky

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rhode Island
Hello everyone, My name is Tommy and I recently got a sulcata tortoise I named Turbo. The breeder was raising him on lettuce and he was very sick. He had bubbles come from his nose and wouldn't move. When I picked him up and wiped his nose, he came out of his shell and the look in his eye just tugged at my heart. I couldn't walk away and leave him to possibly die from infection. Just coming out of his shell to show me that he trusted me was all I needed to decide I would be his guardian. Thanks to this forum, I found a herp vet who was able to help Turbo with all the problems he was having. Turbo is now healthy, active and has an amazing personality. Almost every night, we lay on my bed and when I call his name, he comes to me, presses against me and falls asleep. Whenever I feed him, hold him, talk to him or he sees something that interests him, he clicks his beak. I believe that is his way of showing approval and happiness. Well today I transplanted him from his temporary home, a 10 gallon vivarium, into a custom built tortoise enclosure and am happy to say he is eating grass as well as some kale and collard greens. He is also finally nibbling on his cuttlefish bone and for the first time, he sat in his water bowl for a few minutes and then went to his upper level and basked. Most of what I have learned was from lurking on this site and with how far I have come in recent weeks, I felt the desire to introduce us as well as say thank you to every single person on this forum for being so helpful and kind and for the immense amount of knowledge on tortoises. I know people love pictures:tort:. So, without further ado, pictures.
Everyone, meet my little bulldozer, Turbo.
SAM_2194.jpg

SAM_2193.jpg

His temporary home. From the start I didn't like this as an enclosure. I'm happy to have him in his new habitat.
SAM_2130.jpg

SAM_2135.jpg

SAM_2134.jpg

This is his custom built tortoise enclosure. Soon I plan on going to a reptile show and getting more things to put in it so Turbo doesn't get bored.
SAM_2176.jpg

This is his basking spot.
SAM_2182.jpg

SAM_2245.jpg

SAM_2243.jpg

I need more river rock since he tends to travel through his food. Here he's eating grass that's mixed with kale. I'm trying to increase the grass amount and reduce the kale/collard greens.
SAM_2253.jpg

SAM_2249.jpg

He loves the ramp.
SAM_2196.jpg

This is his ceramic heating element. It is about 90 where the pile is.
SAM_2205.jpg

Here he is climbing out of his water and into his dry grass bowl. Took some nibbles and then walked off.
SAM_2217.jpg

SAM_2218.jpg

SAM_2219.jpg

He sniffs everything.
SAM_2191.jpg

A shot of the ramp.
SAM_2178.jpg

And lastly, Turbo heading up the ramp.
SAM_2189.jpg

Thanks again for everything.
Tommy & Turbo

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow! Nice pictures!!

Hi Tommy:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!! May we know appx. where in the world you are?

Its very rewarding for us to hear that we have helped you and turbo.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
WELCOME :D Congrats on the great same. I am sure the little guy will do great in your caring hands.

hlester22

5 Year Member
Kentucky
I love how you made the second level. I'm going to have to go do something similar to my torts tank now. Glad your tort made a full recovery. He's beautiful.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D and yup, we do LOVE PICS :p

What a great story...so glad you allowed a choice of friend from the heart and not because he was "perfect" from the start...sometimes the ones that don't appear perfect end up being just that.... he is beautiful...:D

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
Very nice pictures Tommy! Welcome to you and turbo!

I also lurked for quite a while before I posted, nobody bites :)

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hi Tommy. Welcome. Your new enclosure is very creative and it is obvious from your pics that Turbo loves it too.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Aww, what a touching story. I'm glad you made a connection with Turbo! ;) His enclosure looks great.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. So glad you and Turbo found each other. BTW, just want to forewarn you, Turbo is probably a girl.

Dagashi

5 Year Member
Such a heartwarming story! Love it! Ur second floor/ramp idea looks great! and he/she seems estatic. awww he responds to his name. I can't wait for ours to do the same.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tom said:
Hello and welcome. So glad you and Turbo found each other. BTW, just want to forewarn you, Turbo is probably a girl.

Oh....I had to go back and re-look at the pictures. Split scute, of course!!

thadividedsky

5 Year Member
Rhode Island
emysemys said:
Wow! Nice pictures!!

Hi Tommy:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!! May we know appx. where in the world you are?

Its very rewarding for us to hear that we have helped you and turbo.

Turbo and I reside in Rhode Island. :)

thadividedsky

5 Year Member
Rhode Island
Tom said:
lol You're likely right, I've had a hunch my sully is a girl. My best friend said I should call my sully Turbette if it turns out he's really a she. I love him or her just the same :D

Status
Not open for further replies.