TUFF'S STORY

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
*misskerrimoo* said:
did the baby with the split scute(s) have to have surgery? I hope he/she is thriving.

* No surgery needed. The split scute never grew, he is doing great!

2cpamif.jpg

*misskerrimoo* said:
I'm definitely curious! // But since Aldabras are sooo big... Can they be neutered? Just curious..

* I would imagine that it is medically possible!

*misskerrimoo* said:
I've never met an Aldabra, but I have the feeling id give it a big hug, if I did.

* For sure, they are fantastic creatures!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I never thought there was a worry of a tort having a split scute. Is it more of a concern in Aldabras because of their size or that its just so rare in their species? I s there a possibility of the split scute actually splitting apart? How big is the one with the split scute now? Thanks :)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
wellington said:
I never thought there was a worry of a tort having a split scute.

* No issue, not at all!

wellington said:
Is there a possibility of the split scute actually splitting apart?

* I do not think so, never heard of that ever happening!

wellington said:
How big is the one with the split scute now?

* Three years old now and doing fantastic. The new keeper is local. The split scute never developed any further, just looks like a little line where the original divided line was at hatching. I will try and get a current picture and post it.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
wellington said:
He's looking good. I take it has recovered very well and is back to his good old self

* Actually he might need to go back and have an additional stitch or two!

2n71qmg.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Darn it. He's looking so happy too. Poor Tuff, thankfully, he is a tuff bugger:). With fabulous parents.

*misskerrimoo*

5 Year Member
Re: RE: TUFF'S STORY

ALDABRAMAN said:
wellington said:
He's looking good. I take it has recovered very well and is back to his good old self

2n71qmg.jpg

Oh lordie! :( has his bladder prolapsed some again? >.o poor tuffy... Does he ever act like anything is wrong? Like he's in pain or anything? Jw.

How did I miss seeing the piccie I asked about?! Agh, sorry! I'm thinking its just like a big crack? Is this much different than ones with extra scutes? I think the ones w/ extra scutes are cute... It looks like a painting... I can't think of the name at the moment..........Is it called mosaic art? I haven't had enough sleep. Lol.
I wish I had the room for a giant tortie, like yours....:) I actually have the land space, but we may have to move in a few yrs... & I can see me now, trying to rent a place, with a 400lb tortie in the yard... Lol. Plus, where we live, its waaaay too cold of winters to be outside all year... Imagine living in the house with a giant tortie. :B it'd be cool In my opinion, but it wouldn't be happy for tort-tort. :( I do love the giants, though. :) id so love to meet one in person!

MY BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN:

3.2.0 Cats (Neeko, Bootsie, Bean (Special Needs), Puff (Special needs), Pokie)
1.0.0 Dog (Sidney (Special needs))
2.0.0 Bearded Dragons (Lochey & Zane (Special needs))
2.1.0 Leopard Geckos (Hopper, Spanky-Butt (Special needs), Rumi)
0.0.1 Greek Tortoise Hatchling (Mookie-Boo - Ibera species)
0.0.2 Fire Bellied Toads (Ellie, Teddy)
0.0.1 Emporer Scorpion (Mr. Pickles)
1.0.0 Betta Fish (Mr. Pook-Pook)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
*misskerrimoo* said:
ALDABRAMAN said:
wellington said:

2n71qmg.jpg

Oh lordie! :( has his bladder prolapsed some again?

* Not exactly, the tissue just opened some where the stitches were. Should be an easy fix!

*misskerrimoo* said:
Does he ever act like anything is wrong? Like he's in pain or anything?

* Not remotely, he has never displayed any sort of discomfort, irritation, or pain. He has always been active and appeared to be very happy!

vq5w5t.jpg

dwright27

5 Year Member
Ahhhh why are photos of tortoises eating so irresistible? So cute! And what a wonderful success story. He's lucky to have hatched into a place with people who know their stuff and really care!