TUFF'S STORY

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
*misskerrimoo* said:
I'm in tears after reading this story! Do you have a picture of his split post surgery?

* I will take a picture post surgery soon. Actually is was less complicated than expected, the vet (Dr. Mader) simply was able to navigate the bladder back into the cavity and basically use a piece of extra tissue to cover the opening in order to prevent further prolapsing.

18em34.jpg

Yellow Turtle said:
I hope Tuff recovers soon. He's been doing great all this time through your great care.

* Thank you, he has done great in life so far. This last episode was not typical, meaning the prolapse did not retract as usual, therefor it was time to surgically correct the issue. Tuff is almost 27 months now and well developed enough to have the procedure done. He will remain at our program for his entire life due to his issue, however should not have any further medical complications now that it has been fixed. We just keep a close eye on him and maybe soak or shower him more often, lol.

6jfvjs.jpg

* Also thank you to all that have sent pm's and e-mails regarding Tuff!

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Greg, I'm interested to know your pre-treatment for the prolapsing prior to surgery. How do you keep the bladder part from drying? Do you soak Tuff 24 hours all time? And do you use sugar paste to soak as I ever read from here that sugar paste is recommended to soak prolapse parts or just simply water.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Yellow Turtle said:
Greg, I'm interested to know your pre-treatment for the prolapsing prior to surgery.

* He was hatched this way, the bladder would prolapse and retract within a day or so by its self. We would soak him in warm water on a regular basis, unsure if this really helped or not. This was not a typical prolapse issue, it was not involving the tail region.

9k4ism.jpg

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
I see, thank you for the explanations. I was thinking Tuff had a common prolapse issue and needs something like sugar paste to preserve the parts.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's nice to know that Tuff has such fantastic parents. Glad he is doing good. Always good thoughts that this is his last set back.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
I am very happy for him and I hope that he's doing everyday better and better he is very lucky to have you

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Tuff has had such a rough start in life. Here's hoping things go great from here on out! GO TUFF!

*misskerrimoo*

5 Year Member
Aww, tuff's split looks GREAT compared to the other picture. You have a talented vet! He/she did a great job. Do you know if he will ever need more surgeries, to possibly try to close it completely, or would that be bad, with him still growing? Tuff is a tough boy! :) give him my love & cuddles! :)

MY BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN:

3.2.0 Cats (Neeko, Bootsie, Bean (Special Needs), Puff (Special needs), Pokie)
1.0.0 Dog (Sidney (Special needs))
2.0.0 Bearded Dragons (Lochey & Zane (Special needs))
2.1.0 Leopard Geckos (Hopper, Spanky-Butt (Special needs), Rumi)
0.0.1 Greek Tortoise Hatchling (Mookie-Boo)
0.0.2 Fire Bellied Toads (Ellie, Teddy)
0.0.1 Emporer Scorpion (Mr. Pickles)
1.0.0 Betta Fish (Mr. Pook-Pook)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
*misskerrimoo* said:
You have a talented vet! He/she did a great job. Do you know if he will ever need more surgeries, to possibly try to close it completely, or would that be bad, with him still growing?

* Actually our primary vet is Dr D. Mader, and yes he is fantastic and extremely knowledgeable when it comes to turtles and tortoises. This last procedure should be the final resolution to his issue. If any further surgery is needed we will have it done, however the vet did not think so at this time.

*misskerrimoo*

5 Year Member
That's great that he won't need anymore surgeries (most likely)! He did a great job on Mr Tuff. :) have you ever had any similar problems with others hatchings? I mean, with something wrong.. like Tuff had? I've seen websites selling 2 headed turtles & such (for insane prices, at that... They should think more of the poor turt than making a huge profit off the poor baby...:()... My heart goes out to those poor babies that are special needs & their keeper doesn't know/care how to tend to them correctly. I'm glad you didn't do like some would do... & rid him because of his defect. You must have a very kind heart, & that's great. :) I have special needs animals, & my leopard gecko that I found missing his tail & back feet... They were going to let him die, instead of helping him. >:{ some people..... :( I applaud you for helping Tuff & caring enough to see him thru life. :)
MY BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN:

0.0.1 Greek Tortoise Hatchling (Mookie-Boo - Ibera species)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
*misskerrimoo* said:
have you ever had any similar problems with others hatchings? I mean, with something wrong.. like Tuff had?

* Actually he was only the second aldabra we have ever had any issues with in our entire twelve years of producing. He is the first that hatched with a deformity. Percentage wise it is exceptionally low for us. We have had one hatched several years back with a split scute. We feel very fortunate that we have not had any more issues than we have based on the volume we hatch. One factor that i contribute minimal issues with is that we incubate at a very regulated and consistent temperature and not at high or low temperatures for sex determination. Both of the two with issues are here at our program and will remain with us for the duration. The one with a split scute is actually located in the same area as us and the split has not grown, it is just like a line in the middle of the scute. We seem to get several without nuchal scutes for some reason, however this is a natural occurrence.

*misskerrimoo*

5 Year Member
Haha.. I love the bath piccie, with the huge tortie in the background... :D I've never met an Aldabra, but I have the feeling id give it a big hug, if I did. :) this comes from the woman who swaddles lizards. :) Haha... Well, that's good you've only had one other issue in 12yrs! Do you have a picture of him/her? I'm definitely curious! Not to sound stupid... But since Aldabras are sooo big... Can they be neutered? Just curious.. I've never heard of altering a tortie, but I figured you would know. :) oh, & did the baby with the split scute(s) have to have surgery? I hope he/she is thriving. :)

MY BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN:

0.0.1 Greek Tortoise Hatchling (Mookie-Boo - Ibera species)