Tucked in and warm for the night

Mini

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Friendswood
I am fasinated in that Hound Heater and will look that up. I have been researching "tubular heaters" with built in thermostats.

Alaskamike

South Florida
I love, love, love my 'hound heater' for background heat. Great pic!
I have a question on the hound heater. The thermostat is a simple dial. Low, medium, high. If you set the dial to medium for instance. Does it stay on continuously or shut off automatically at a certain temp?

The oil heaters have a similar dial. If you watch temps and it gets where you want it. You just slowly back dial down till you hear a " click" of it shutting off and it will set the desired temp at that set point. Does the Hound Heater work the same ? The web site is not clear.

If not I'll have to get a Lux thermostat controller to keep their " doghouse" at 85f.
Thanks

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
The hound heater does not over heat. I have had one for a couple of years.
@ Alaskamike, it comes on and goes off based on where you set the thermostat. It does not stay on continuously.
I have a remote thermometer from Acurite in it, and the temps are remarkably stable.
It works extremely well in smaller enclosures- I have it in a cold frame, +/- 5'x2.5'x 18-24" high.

I do believe that the oil filled electric radiators work well too: the mini versions for smaller enclosures and the regular sized one for larger enclosures. I have one in my insulated greenhouse. It also works well, once I get the thermostat set to the overall temp that I want.
IMG_0679.JPG
Use either one. The hound heater seems to disperse the heat better in the smaller enclosure that it is designed for, but I'm also happy with the oil filled radiator.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Thanks @lynnedit. I have the hound heater , was not sure how the thermostat Worked or how accurate it is. I use the Acurite remote temp / humidity sensor too. Since I'm in So Florida it usually doesn't have to work too hard to heat my box to 90f. At the coldest it might get down to 32f. But only a few days a year. Usually between 40f-60f at night for a few months then back in the 70s at night.

I have some yearlings so I'm more cautious of temps for them. Would like to keep them in their box at night open the doors in the morning and let them comin to their surround when it is warm enough for them.

We have sun everyday and I'm hoping they will self regulate and bask Even when it's only 70 out , their shells get to 90f in the sun.

Thanks for your reply.
This is my " box". One side is for :3 yearling leopards, the other for a 2lb sulcata. With divider in middle. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1414579660.055091.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1414579698.289285.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1414579721.102069.jpg