Tubby is very weak

TubbyTorty

My little tortoise started seeming lethargic on Boxing Day and very quickly declined. He hadn't been eating very much and didn't appear to be drinking during his baths, but seemed himself.

A couple of days ago, I put his lights on and he was hardly moving, so much so that I thought he was dead. I finally got a small response from him when I soaked him.

Yesterday, he started breathing with his mouth open and felt very light, so I got him to a vet which is miles away, but the only one that deals with exotics locally. They said he's very weak and there's a number of things it can be.

Sorry if this is a ramble, but I really love my Tubby and I'm really scared he will pass away. :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What did the vet do for him?
What are his temps and what kind of UVB light are you using and for how long? Giving any calcium or vitamins? What is the diet?
Answer the questions so we can help you better. In the mean time raise his temps to 85 day and night with a basking of 109-105. Give warm water soaks with carrot baby food and baby piedialyte mixed in. Keep the water warm for the whole soak and soak for 20-30 minutes at least longer if you can upto one hour. But water/tort has to stay warm.

TubbyTorty

He's actually stayed overnight in the vets. His temp is usually around 27 degrees Celsius under the warm part of his vivarium (I know it's not ideal to have a viv). I gave him neutrobal supplement. He
was under one of those small uvb lights and a heat bulb away from his hiding area. His hiding area was around 20 degrees.

The vet is going to do a blood test, but she says as he is in a bad way, if he has any other serious problems, the best option may be to put him to sleep.

His previous owners loved him, but he wasn't given the best diet and conditions with them and they couldn't look after him any more, so I bought him and tried to give him a good life and do the right thing for him. He seemed quite happy a week ago and he was milling around on Christmas Day, but he didn't eat his rocket, which he usually loves. I just love my little Tubby and I can't stand the thought of him being so unwell and there's nothing I can do to get him better. The cost of a vet is really expensive too so I've had to borrow money just to take him there.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
His warm basking temp needs to be 100 degrees. I believe that is 37 celcius? The coil type UVB bulbs can cause eye problems, even though that's not your problem at this time, I would replace it with a Mercury vapor bulb, if that's what you mean by a small UVB light. A diet of more then just rocket is needs, as much variety as you can find. Mustard and collard greens, dandelion, spring mix, just to name a few.
Being he is sick, I would not let his temps drop below 85 degrees which is 29 celcius?
Also do the warm water soaks I mentioned.
What kind of tortoise is this? For some reason I was thinking a Russian, but now I see that you didn't mention the species and there is not a pic of him in your avatar

TubbyTorty

He is at the vets, so I can't adjust his temps. He had a more varied diet when it was warmer, but as it's winter, I have to rely on what the shops have got. He wouldn't eat the florette crispy mix, but he seemed to like baby leaf salad, however this contains spinach which he can't have too much of. image.jpeg

Yes, he's a Russian tort. I'm not sure how to put his pic up as an avatar, sorry.

Edit: just worked out how to do the avatar

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
So sorry your little Tubby is so ill. :( It's SO difficult to deal with. :(
I will keep you and him in my prayers. :<3: